Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dispute in dog park

• 07-07-2012 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

Just back from the dog park had the pup and two kids with me, they were over at the entrance gate, a woman was bringing her dog out for water and one of the kids said, oh the pup (our pup) is going to get out.. She was trying to follow the woman, the woman says to the child: Im bringing my dog for water have you a problem with that?! The child is 4!!!

After that the pup was running around playing and the womans lurcher grabbed a hold of the pups neck, I pushed it away and it snarled and grabbed her again, this woman stood there watching her dog and I grabbed her dog by the throat pushed it away and picked the pup up, then she said its only playing!!!

She continued to argue all the dogs are doing it, but they were all large breeds, my pup is a spitz! She's tiny and defenceless to her dog, I finished by saying my dog is not a ragdoll for yours to throw around!

I left after that.. If the kids hadn't been with me she would be getting a large piece of my mind.

know they're dogs and she's been tackled a fair few times playing, but this dog was grabbing her by the neck, yet to the woman im in the wrong for picking up my pup who's howling on the ground with a large dogs teeth in her neck!!!

Ugh she's really riled me up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

She sounds like a bit of a b1tch if she spoke to your child like that tbh? What was the pup's reaction when the lurcher had her by the neck - was the pup afraid or having fun? The reason I ask is that we've a few newbies (no offence!) in our park lately who simply don't know what playing dogs are like and think their pups are fighting with each other/the other dogs? Some dogs are mouthy and vocal when they're playing but that's all it is - just play. If they're well socialized they'll play with the pup but once she tells them to stop she should. My guy would have a pup jumping and hanging out of him but would be very gentle with them because he knows it's a pup..he might play back with them and mouth their neck (or legs or tail lol) but he's just playing with them - there's never any yelps.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

I think even if the other dog was just playing with your pup , the owner should have restrained it anyway once she saw that the situation was annoying you.
    Although judging by the way she spoke to your child it sounds like she has a bit of an attitude problem.

Salt001 wrote: »
    I think even if the other dog was just playing with your pup , the owner should have restrained it anyway once she saw that the situation was annoying you.
    Although judging by the way she spoke to your child it sounds like she has a bit of an attitude problem.

+1 I meant to say that too - I would have called my guy back tbh if I knew he was worrying another owner BUT as well as this... if you think your dog is out sized/going to get hurt or the other owners are tools it's up to you to step in and remove her from the situation. Don't wait for them to do it - take her out for a while because you'll end up in a situation like this and be in a bad mood afterwards - I think we've all been there tbh. You don't want the pup having a bad experience that will affect how it interacts with other dogs as it gets older - I had a little terrier snap at my guy when he was about 3 months old and the pup yelped and jumped away terrified...this snowballed into him becoming really shy and submissive around other dogs and we ended up having to do lots of work to build his confidence - daycare, obedience training etc. Now he was already a bit submissive but this made it a lot worse - yer man told me he did me a favour "cos an Alsation would have rip him apart' :rolleyes: - EVERY other adult dog we had met up to this stage who didn't want to talk to him simply turned their head and blanked him.
    One of the proudest moments of my life was last year when the same dog came over guns blazing to my guy as usual but instead of him lying down afriad he stayed standing and when it went to hump him my guy jumped around and growled at him sending him running for his life lol! Thats my boy! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

You should of grabbed her by the throat the stupid bitch for talking to a child like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

tk123 wrote: »
    She sounds like a bit of a b1tch if she spoke to your child like that tbh? What was the pup's reaction when the lurcher had her by the neck - was the pup afraid or having fun? The reason I ask is that we've a few newbies (no offence!) in our park lately who simply don't know what playing dogs are like and think their pups are fighting with each other/the other dogs? Some dogs are mouthy and vocal when they're playing but that's all it is - just play. If they're well socialized they'll play with the pup but once she tells them to stop she should. My guy would have a pup jumping and hanging out of him but would be very gentle with them because he knows it's a pup..he might play back with them and mouth their neck (or legs or tail lol) but he's just playing with them - there's never any yelps.

That hit a nerve with me, under no circumstances should she have spoke like that, I asked the child in front of her what she said, then she realised the kids were with me. I said don't mind her and was on my way to the other side of the park, then her partner called my dog and I called her back towards the kids, that's when her dog jumped mine

I have another older dog and im minding another at the moment too, I know her reactions playing and how they play, they growl, bark and hop around, she does be playing with the others ears, what the lurcher done wasnt playing, it pinned her to the ground, had its mouth around her neck, she was squealing wiggling trying to get away, she was terrified.

My older lady does roll up onto the pup when the pups tired cause the pups always doing it to her, she was even chasing her legs and pulling at them, it looked like she was a sheep being herded! And she has often had the pups foot in her mouth, it's just games and the pup jumps onto her looking for a chase.

My other dog is 10 also, Im no professional but I know the difference in playing and aggression, I don't pick her up anytime anything goes near her, like I said she's had a fair few tumbles and chases with other dogs, all playing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BRAIN FEEDs

:rolleyes: op is the A hole?

<Banned>

tk123 wrote: »

+1 I meant to say that too - I would have called my guy back tbh if I knew he was worrying another owner BUT as well as this... if you think your dog is out sized/going to get hurt or the other owners are tools it's up to you to step in and remove her from the situation. Don't wait for them to do it - take her out for a while because you'll end up in a situation like this and be in a bad mood afterwards - I think we've all been there tbh. You don't want the pup having a bad experience that will affect how it interacts with other dogs as it gets older

I did, I left immediately, then let the kids play with her outside, I've been to that park tonnes of times, been fine every other time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

she was too casual about the dogs behaviour thats for sure

:rolleyes: op is the A hole?

Thanks... I was asking cause the woman implied it was my fault because I pushed her dog away and picked up my pup, her dog was playing and I was over reacting.. Its what dogs do in her world.. Even the kids were kinda upset with the commotion!

Also just to add to the story of my 'overreaction' another pup was mauled about a month ago in the same park, the owner of the aggressive dog did nothing until the temper was flaring and there was no going back, the pup died and the other owner just walked away!
    I wasnt there, but everyone is weary after it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Guys - report trolls please, not respond to them.

OP - your thread title is going to attract such responses at this time on a Saturday night, perhaps consider changing it.

• Advertisement

Hi mod, im on my phone and dunno how to? Can it be modified on my phone, feel free to change it yourself if you want, something like dispute in dog park? Is that any better?

Cheers mod

I think i have see more people fight at dog parks then dogs. No Lie, there is always something. Maybe she wasn't socialized as a baby ??

So I came across the large dog again recently, again in the same park, only this time I had no kiddys and I had the boss (the elder really protective of the pup and her pack, she's a dote, but you don't try get one over her, she's too smart)

My two were playing away with another little dog when again while the pup was running around the large dog hopped onto her, knocked her flying, she tried to get up and it grabbed her twice, my immediate reaction was to call the older dog over with me and to calm the pup down, my older dog seen the pup in distress, tore over and barked away at the large dog, she didn't bite or get aggressive in any way, she basically ran over and screamed leave her alone, in doggy language.

The large dog ran away with its tail between its legs, while the owner stood and watched her precious dog being told off, I think she was in shock too, it's never wrong, just 'playing' as she says

The older girl went over, licked the pup and sniffed her over and then stood defensive around her.

The woman that owns the large dog, wasnt impressed that mine stood up for themselves, put hers on the lead and left.

I was so proud of my older dog of how she handled the situation, she's very intelligent and isn't aggressive but defensive of her pack.

There were no comments or words said between humans, the dogs said all that needed to be said. So hopefully now, she will realise that mine are not a rag doll for her dog and they can defend!

After the pup was afraid of me and anyone or any dog, except her bodyguard, after about 15 mins she came around, it was sad to see her shaking and she wouldn't give me a cuddle

So hopefully that's the end of all that commotion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Cool' good work dogs !!!!

Shes to have a bath because of that too, the dog knocked her on the ground so hard that shes covered in grass stains!! Actually looks really funny, white with green spots! Shame it's not paddys day! :)

Ah that's great that the older dog stepped in - sounds like both dog and owner got the message to kindly F.O.! :)
    Thanks for posting this because I've been thinking of getting my guy a little bro :) was wondering if he'd look after it with one dog in particular in our park.

Yeah I was worried too, I didn't get an older dog cause I have a parrot, (was afraid it would keep trying too kill it)

At first it was rocky between them, especially when the pup thought she could suckle off the older dog (she's never had a litter) the older dog took a while to get used to her, but they're inseparable now

I think they get a bond and that's it, the new dogs part of our pack

Advertisement