Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to learn on guitar?

Options
  • 07-07-2012 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

I've been playing acoustic guitar for a month or two now and im pretty much just learning open chords. I read a few tabs but i'd rather get good at scales. So what should i do learn scales or something completely else? If scales, whats a good one to begin with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

C major. The mother of all scales.

Then I guess your pentatonic major and minor, and the blues scale for quick results. :p

And best not forget that the chords are directly related to the scales you're using. So a C major chord allows you to play the C major pentatonic over it, and plenty others for that matter.

The relationship between chords and scales is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭mooliki

I'd also recommend learning a basic 12 bar blues riff. Something like this (in A);

or this (in E);

This is a good basic pattern to get down, its not just a handy way of transitioning between chord and lead fingering, but 12 bar blues is pretty fundamental to standard rock, pop or jazz tunes. I think it also helps develop a better understanding of the traditional I - IV - V chord progression and a good place to start building up scales from.

P.S. I know the videos are pretty simple. I just picked something basic to easily express the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 FeedbackLive

If you're completely new to scales I would recommend starting off with a chromatic scale in any position. By using this you're exercising all your fingers and making them stronger which will really pay off for solos. After that, or even at the same time for some variety, try the A minor pentatonic scale. This can also be moved around the neck to play over chord progressions :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Hallyington

If you're completely new to scales I would recommend starting off with a chromatic scale in any position. By using this you're exercising all your fingers and making them stronger which will really pay off for solos. After that, or even at the same time for some variety, try the A minor pentatonic scale. This can also be moved around the neck to play over chord progressions :)

If i was to learn a chromatic scale and exercise my fingers where would i go from there?

A chromatic scale basically works on a finger per fret scale.

Start on the 5th fret. Your first finger will always remain on this fret. It will just change strings.
    Starting at the low E string(6th string), use your first finger at the 5th fret, second finger on the 6th fret, third finger on the 7th fret and fourth finger on the 8th fret.
    Then move on to the A string(5th string) and repeat the finger per fret pattern.
    Keep this pattern on all the strings.

I would also recommend using alternate picking while doing all scales as this will greatly improve your accuracy and your speed in the long run.

If you have any more questions or if you need clarification lemme know :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Sorry now, don't want to start a new thread so I said I'd ask the following here.

Is there any reason I can play an F chord on one acoustic guitar and not on another? They are both cheap ish guitars, a colt and an oakman. I can play the F no problem on the oakman, but the B string does not play right on ye Colt.

Any ideas?

It could be a few things. The action could be set way too high. The fret could be worn.

When you say it doesn't play right, what do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

It could be a few things. The action could be set way too high. The fret could be worn.

When you say it doesn't play right, what do you mean?

Thanks for the reply.

Well to be honest, no chords sound or play as easy on the colt. But all strings play some sound but for the F chord the B string is always muted. In general it's just harder to play it, the oakman is a pleasure in comparison.

I am fairly sure the colt is a more expensive guitar when bought new!

That sounds like the grove on the top nut may not be cut deep enough. Generally if a note is sounded mute its because the string is not making enough contact with the fret. You should try just fretting the B string at the first fret and seeing if it makes a sound then as opposed to making the full chord shape.

You can also try the moving the shape of the chord up the neck one fret at a time to see if the problem persists.

Advertisement