Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Fan motor

• 07-07-2012 8:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,work in maintenance,came across a strange one the other day,was replacing a fan coil unit in a room

The fan itself has 6 speeds we only use three of them though,from the stat 3 speeds are connected to 3 relays which in turn output 230 volts to corresponding speeds,

All is as it should be until I connect the motor to the speeds coming from relays,all 6 speeds from the motor show 320 volts very strange,any ideas??

It's a mind boggler,thought it might be a nice discussion though!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Hi lads,work in maintenance,came across a strange one the other day,was replacing a fan coil unit in a room

The fan itself has 6 speeds we only use three of them though,from the stat 3 speeds are connected to 3 relays which in turn output 230 volts to corresponding speeds,

All is as it should be until I connect the motor to the speeds coming from relays,all 6 speeds from the motor show 320 volts very strange,any ideas??

It's a mind boggler,thought it might be a nice discussion though!!

Is this when the motor is running? Is it running properly, but you are wondering why 320v?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

yep when the motor is running robbie,all speeds show voltage on it whereas it should only be three speeds showing 230v,motor still runs properly but something aint right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

yep when the motor is running robbie,all speeds show voltage on it whereas it should only be three speeds showing 230v,motor still runs properly but something aint right!

Id say its probably voltage being generated in the open circuit unused windings by the motor rotating.

Of you only connect live and neutral to 2 of the 3 connections of a 3 phase motor for example, and give it a push start, the third connection point will have a 3rd phase on it (relative to live and neutral) when the motor runs up to speed, generated by the motor spinning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Ye that does sound about right mate,thought it might be some sort of leakage,why would it not show 230 on them though,must check one of the other rooms when I'm back next week and see does it output same v on the unused speeds!

It's not causing a problem just had not come across it before!!although now I think of it I think that motor is only running with 1 speed it's not getting any higher or lower but that could be a problem with the stat!!

Advertisement