Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

free lift home?

• 07-07-2012 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Not sure if this is true but a friend told me that,

if any civil servant for eg. nurse... firemen? have worked a night shift and are too tired/sleepy and deem if unsafe to drive home they can go to the nearest garda station and they have to drop you home? load of bollix or?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

could be seen as a complete waste of garda time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

CavanCrew wrote: »

if any civil servant for eg. nurse... firemen? have worked a night shift and are too tired/sleepy and deem if unsafe to drive home they can go to the nearest garda station and they have to drop you home? load of bollix or?

Its actually true, if they arrive hungry the local sergeant has to make them a 'hang sammich' too.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭spirit_77

only in cavan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Only if they have a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Good Aul Irish public sector
    I wonder if I had a pint or two could I walk into a garda station and ask them to bring me home or I will have to drive drunk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

mattjack wrote: »
    Its actually true, if they arrive hungry the local sergeant has to make them a 'hang sammich' too.

And if they give the secret handshake, then he has to give them a...erm "hand" shake, as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Red Hand wrote: »
    And if they give the secret handshake, then he has to give them a...erm "hand" shake, as well.

Are you a Garda, nurse or fireman ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

And if ya need a ****e, they have to give you thier hat to do it in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

spirit_77 wrote: »
    only in cavan

Sounds like a Cavan thing alright

Workers too mean to buy their own car and petrol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Nonsense, some groups can claim a taxi if they have approval for overtime etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Yes it's true, you should try it next time you are out. Just tell the Garda you are a Fireman. They won't ask any questions, it always works for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Also, if they need a poo, but are constipated, there is a lad employed to go around poking a brush handle up their keysters. This may or may not be true, much like the op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

I though this tread was about, the OP actually looking for a lift home. disappointed!

mattjack wrote: »
    Are you a Garda, nurse or fireman ?

I'm all three. I have the belly of a 50 year old country Garda, the helmet of a fireman and the varicose veins of an emergency ward nurse.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

Not this Cavan thing AGAIN.

Yeah but there has to be truth to it, civil servants sticking togetherrrrrrr and all that jazz.

And if ya need a ****e, they have to give you thier hat to do it in

No. Thats only in England and you have to be a pregnant lady.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Sounds like a Cavan thing alright

Workers too mean to buy their own car and petrol

Shut.

Up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I suppose in certain circumstances. A garda picked me up while walking home from Templemore one night, I was obviously a danger to myself and others as the Ros road is ten miles long with no footpaths.

I suppose in certain circumstances. A garda picked me up while walking home from Templemore one night, I was obviously a danger to myself and others as the Ros road is ten miles long with no footpaths.

What did he/she say as they cruised by at 5 miles per hour?

"You looking for a good time, sailor?":pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

why even go to the trouble of walking 'all' the way to the Garda station, just break a few windows and get them to collect you.

• Advertisement

Shut.

Up.

Dont mind Mike..he's from Tipp :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What did he/she say as they cruised by at 5 miles per hour?

"You looking for a good time, sailor?":pac:

If it had been a bangarda that would have been fine for me. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

When I went to A&E last year, I told them I was a Public Servant. They seen me before other people and my injury wasn't even that serious.

My local is beside the cop shop so the lift home is great. It also saves a few quid as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Aye, we train the Gardaí in Tipp

They learn vaaaaay - hick - el from us :)

You know what, il try it ............... in coppers

I though this tread was about, the OP actually looking for a lift home. disappointed!

Yes a free lift to cranmore please.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Aye, we train the Gardaí in Tipp

They learn vaaaaay - hick - el from us :)

...and then yer honour, the vaaaaay-hick-el hit the qaow

Yes a free lift to cranmore please.

Or should I say out of Cranmore. Its a lovely place ! ProjectxCranmore.

• Advertisement

Or should I say out of Cranmore. Its a lovely place ! ProjectxCranmore.

Well, Call down if you really want to spend your money on a bus/train ticket. Or just play your civil servant card. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Im sure there is some truth to it. I know it would apply if you were a garda and needed a spin home, within reason, you would be accommadated . You wouldnt want to make a habit of it though.

I know of a case where a garda had to drive 15 miles south of his station every morning to collect another garda and give him a lift back to the station because, for some reason or other, the garda was without transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

It's a free ride, but you already paid...

Im sure there is some truth to it. .....................

I've seen plenty of both marked and unmarked Garda cars ferrying folks home after a night out. That considered I wouldn't have an issue with a fireman or nurse getting a free lift home after a long shift to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

I'm all three. I have the belly of a 50 year old country Garda, the helmet of a fireman and the varicose veins of an emergency ward nurse.

Fap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭davetherave

I've heard that if you approach your District Super on the second thursday of every fourth month and ask him "if the hummingbird ever flies north east out to sea?" and he responds with "Yes, but only if the raven spies high-tide on the pier." he will give you a spin in the squadcar.

• Advertisement

Im sure there is some truth to it. I know it would apply if you were a garda and needed a spin home, within reason, you would be accommadated . You wouldnt want to make a habit of it though.

As I said before..if they had a car http://www.donegaldaily.com/2012/07/04/garda-with-no-car-case-raised-in-the-dail/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

You know what, il try it ............... in coppers

Anything PS related will get you in there for free. I've gotten in on the strength of "my mate's a gard, he always gets me in for free"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

I already offered the OP a list else where... the response was not every cavanesq ... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

If a nurse goes to Cooper Faced Jacks they can get a free left home to a Gardai's house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Load of bollix.

• Advertisement
Advertisement