Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due March 2013 thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭wicklori

elly123 wrote: »
    I had said I'd do the same work right up, but now I just can't wait to finish so I go on mat 8th March. I'm taking 3 wks hols at the end of my mat leave so I'm not due back until 7th Oct. we booked New York for 5days to go over and sort all wedding stuff going 27th sept so be a nice break before going back to work. Plus I've two exams in sept and I'll be in College two sats a month for 3 months during my leave so I'll be kept on my toes with baby, wedding organising and college! 2013 is going to be a hectic one!
    Wow-now that is busy!! Just watch out for this one.... according to my work I have to have taken the annual leave I accrue before my mat leave before mat leave-if that makes sense? In other words-january I accrue 2 and a quarter days, february another 2 and a quarter days so I will have 4 and a half days annual leave that if I don't take before march when I go on mat leave-I will lose. I'm not sure if this is just the situation in my work or?
    It'll be so nice to have NYC to look forward to :) And the wedding-WOW!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Wow Elly,you have a mad year coming up. Are you getting married in NY? Sounds so lovely! Our wedding seems like a distant memory now....I just remember it being such a lovely time :)

Wicklori, I dont have to have taken accrued leave before I take my maternity. Ive sent my forms to HR so hopefully there wont be a problem. Ive added all my leave to my maternity leave so am not due back to work until the first week of October. I probably will take unpaid leave for a month or two then but I dont have to decide on that until August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

Yes it is definetly going to be a very busy year but i cant wait for it. Yes YH wedding is in NYC in central park. Friends and family coming over so think in all there will be about 50 or so but its an informal event no sit down meal or anything.

I had a trip to coombe 2day thankfully all is ok. I went to gp this morning as my legs have felt like they are swelling. Calf muscles feel like there going to burst and i have a red lump on my right calf that i noticed on saturday because its sore and painful. My gp was sure it was just superficial vein thrombosis (svt) but wanted me to get it checked. Turns out thats all it is and its not serious. I think im going to invest in those awful looking socks and reduce the amount of time i spend on my feet unnessacerily. Have to try keep legs elevated when lying or sitting down. Thankfully its nothing more serious but suppose its best to get these things checked.

I actually dont have to take my leave within a certain time either i said it to my boss yesterday casually and he was fine with it. I think he's slightly in denial that im finishing up in 8 weeks i keep reminding him that we need a replacement for me and he kinda just brushes it over. We need some1 in the next 6 weeks as i'll have to train them in for at least two weeks. Im wishing away the next 8 weeks now! Im defo feeling this 3rd trimester, think i got away easily in the 2nd trimester flew through that, not so much the 1st tri but thats a distant memory now. Roll on march :-) x

Ok, so met with my senior manager today-I had one bit arsewise! You have to take your annual leave in your annual leave year, that's all. My mistake-apologies!
    What she did tell me-which was something she learned through painful experience-was that you have to take paid maternity leave, unpaid maternity leave, annual leave/bank holidays-in that order.
    PRSI contributions are earned for unpaid maternity leave but not for unpaid parental leave. This is important for any future plans for maternity benefit as we have to have 2 years of PRSI contributions to be entitled to benefit. If we take our annual leave after paid mat leave then we cannot avail of the 16 weeks unapid maternity leave option.
    Does this make sense?
    I saw a suggestion in another thread that any of us should contact the Equality Authority around all of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Wicklori I think it is common practice for the unpaid maternity leave to be taken prior to annual leave and to be forfeited if annual leave is taken first (I know that is the case in the client's office that I am currently working for)

• Advertisement

kitten_k wrote: »
    Wicklori I think it is common practice for the unpaid maternity leave to be taken prior to annual leave and to be forfeited if annual leave is taken first (I know that is the case in the client's office that I am currently working for)
    Exactly! Put much more clearly!

wicklori wrote: »
    Ok, so met with my senior manager today-I had one bit arsewise! You have to take your annual leave in your annual leave year, that's all. My mistake-apologies!
    What she did tell me-which was something she learned through painful experience-was that you have to take paid maternity leave, unpaid maternity leave, annual leave/bank holidays-in that order.
    PRSI contributions are earned for unpaid maternity leave but not for unpaid parental leave. This is important for any future plans for maternity benefit as we have to have 2 years of PRSI contributions to be entitled to benefit. If we take our annual leave after paid mat leave then we cannot avail of the 16 weeks unapid maternity leave option.
    Does this make sense?
    I saw a suggestion in another thread that any of us should contact the Equality Authority around all of this.

Thats very interesting. You learn something new every day :)

I wont be taken unpaid maternity leave on this baby as we just cant afford to. We have our wedding in March 2014 so any spare cash i have while on mat leave will be going into savings for the wedding. As much as i prob wont want to go back to work at the end of my mat leave financially i have to :(

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lilbe

Hey girls, here is information about maternity leave - http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/maternity_leave.html

It says that postponing the leave is possible only in very specific circumstances. Is breaking it in two parts with annual leave in fact postponing?

Lilbe wrote: »
    Hey girls, here is information about maternity leave - http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/maternity_leave.html

It says that postponing the leave is possible only in very specific circumstances. Is breaking it in two parts with annual leave in fact postponing?

Well her description was that our PRSI contribs get paid all along as if we are on mat leave and if we take annual leave then it's the equivalent of going 'back to work'.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Caramelbarrel

hi girlies!!!
    back in the world of Winter!!
    had an amazing time in Lanzarote...was the best thing ever, really needed it....
    1 week turned into 2 weeks as I got friendly with a couple from Manchester who have numerous accomodations over there and the offered me their apartment, which happened to have a fabulous panoramic sea view... ah was bliss :-)

everyone seems in great form, so fun to read back over thoughts and things people are going through :-)

wicklori, defo count me in for 2nd Feb, yay!
    can't wait to meet everyone!
    that will be hilarious with a table full of bumps!
    I eat a few weeks ago in that Jamie Oliver place in Dundrum and it was deLISHHHH!!!

Have had midwife home visit and a hospital scan since back and all is well and baby girl is growing - finally - PHEW!
    Lying around on a beach all day long for 2 weeks did the trick - she doubled in size - delighted!

Ya, 32 weeks now too... Interesting to hear about how long people are working for...
    I'm self employed and aiming to do another 4 or 5 weeks... my work is very physical and since starting back this week I am feeling the strain of it a bit ... But really need to put in 4 or 5 weeks as I don't get maternity leave cause I'm self employed... oh jasssss!!!

Well, hope everyone is having a lovely start to the New Year...!!
    2013!!!!
    Whooppp!!!
    It's our year!!!

xx

• Advertisement

hi girlies!!!
    back in the world of Winter!!
    had an amazing time in Lanzarote...was the best thing ever, really needed it....
    1 week turned into 2 weeks as I got friendly with a couple from Manchester who have numerous accomodations over there and the offered me their apartment, which happened to have a fabulous panoramic sea view... ah was bliss :-)

everyone seems in great form, so fun to read back over thoughts and things people are going through :-)

wicklori, defo count me in for 2nd Feb, yay!
    can't wait to meet everyone!
    that will be hilarious with a table full of bumps!
    I eat a few weeks ago in that Jamie Oliver place in Dundrum and it was deLISHHHH!!!

Have had midwife home visit and a hospital scan since back and all is well and baby girl is growing - finally - PHEW!
    Lying around on a beach all day long for 2 weeks did the trick - she doubled in size - delighted!

Ya, 32 weeks now too... Interesting to hear about how long people are working for...
    I'm self employed and aiming to do another 4 or 5 weeks... my work is very physical and since starting back this week I am feeling the strain of it a bit ... But really need to put in 4 or 5 weeks as I don't get maternity leave cause I'm self employed... oh jasssss!!!

Well, hope everyone is having a lovely start to the New Year...!!
    2013!!!!
    Whooppp!!!
    It's our year!!!

xx

WOW Caramel! You got an extra weeks holiday-lucky thing :):)

I don't envy you with the self employed thing though-must be a big balancing act trying to figure out your business and your own needs..... Best of luck!

There's a few of us on board for our meeting then? Yellowhen it's a shame you won't make it though and you a part of the furniture around here and all..... Could we reschedule?

hahaha, I'm just thinking about our meet-up - whoever makes the reservation will need to ask for extra space at the table - several pregnant women will need to get comfortable! ;-)

Caramelbar, your holiday sounds so good! I have not gone to the sea and sun this year, so jealous!

Hi Lilbe!
    Oh it was...it just did me (and baby!) the world of good.... I would recommend it any day! Lanzarote is a cheap and cheerful holiday but you get a ton of sun, bright light (Vit D :-) ) and relaxation - for a really good price - what more do you want!! ;-)

Wicklori, yes! What a chance, it was so great and the 2nd week just topped the whole thing off - it was totally what the doctor (inside!!) ordered!!! Yea, not getting maternity benefit is really going to suck, can't even think about it yet but i'll deal with it when it happens....got 4, hopefully 5 more weeks of work in me yet so just gonna focus on that for now.

2nd Feb is good for me, but I don't mind... what does everyone feel about 2nd Feb in the Jamie Oliver place you were all talking about? Peeps prefer a different date? Not too much later though, we don't want any swimming pools under our table, ha ha ha!!

xx

ps I bought a packet of Pampers today, LOL!!!! Ha, ha, ha!! I was walking to the check out thinking "o m g, I have a packet of pampers in my hands!!!! "

wicklori wrote: »
    WOW Caramel! You got an extra weeks holiday-lucky thing :):)

I don't envy you with the self employed thing though-must be a big balancing act trying to figure out your business and your own needs..... Best of luck!

There's a few of us on board for our meeting then? Yellowhen it's a shame you won't make it though and you a part of the furniture around here and all..... Could we reschedule?

It's such a shame I cant be there :( but don't be rescheduling on my account. It suits everyone else. For what its worth, Jamies really is lovely...just very simple tasty food.

Caramelbar, that holiday sounds so so lovely! The tiredness has started to return to me now and by night-time I am just crawling into bed. Painting the spare room next weekend and then I can begin to wash and sort out the baby clothes and get my own bags ready.I'll feel happier just knowing that everything is there even if I dont need it for anther 7 weeks or more.

How is everyone doing at the minute? The heartburn is just getting worse right now...I really need to learn how to eat smaller portions!

Caramelbarrel so happy to hear baby has grown sounds like the holiday was definitely what you both needed :) ohhhh i'd love a sun holiday :(

I had a hormonal melt down on Saturday its prob my second since been pregnant. At the weekends i get a really bad dose of OCD and every thing has to be spotless clean and even tho the OH cleans all week while im in work (he's still out of work with the glandular fever nearly 4 months now) and helps at the weekend i just get so frustrated and get into terrible form with him, its not his fault and its not like he's done anything wrong its me and my hormones! Sat morn i washed the dishes, cleaned the counters, hoovered the floors, dusted all the skirtings, banistors and dado rail in the hall, i washed the floors and after that i was dead, i went up and lay down as my back was sore and the side of my tummy was sore, i was feeling sorry for myself and start to get upset at the fact i cant do as much as i used to and then the way i felt with the OH was upsetting me, i didn't want to feel that way but i couldn't help it, he seen i was upset and he came up to me and i completely broke down, i was absolutely balling and i couldn't even control that it was awful. I had a little rest and shower and i felt so much better after it. Apart from that and the sore legs in the evening im good, but the 3rd tri has hit me!!

I went shopping yesterday and got most of my little bits for hosp bag and have all baby's clothes sorted, I'm going to wash everything and pack my hosp bag next weekend. i have all the main stuff for the bags still a few small things to get. I bought pampers in boots yesterday, they had 2 for €14 i've no idea on the price of nappies so not sure if that was good or bad. Think between the two packs there was 60 nappies or so! The nursery will be painted next weekend then we're going to collect the furniture and put it all together. So im thinking by mid Feb we will be all prepared! Its so exciting i cant wait :)

Looking forward to putting faces to names on the 2nd :)

Girls, should we book Jamie's then? It's possible to do it online, just checked, if there are 4 of us, they only have 14-00 unavailable, otherwise any time.

Elly, poor thing! We have renovations going on and I get very frustrated with them also because of the mess, so every time at the weekend I just try to get out of the house (go for a walk, meet a friend, go to the cinema) and not to see the mess. By the time I'm back they usually tidy up and it's not as bad.

I like to get all the house work done first and then i'll chill out. We have a 16 month old lab and she sheds bad even tho she is groomed almost every second day, which i think might be making her worse the hair does be everywhere and im constantly cleaning it. When baby arrives the dog will spend more time outside during the day than she does now, so im hoping hair in the house wont be an issue, she will be in the house in the evenings and will sleep inside. Since it'll be March and the weather will (hopefully) be better i wont feel bad about her been outside. When the weather picks up a little we will start to put her outside a little more so that she'll be used to it, she's a little madam and loves her comfort but thankfully she is really starting to calm down and she wont come up stairs and we make her sit at bottom of stairs before we come down. Im looking forward to seen how she will react with the baby. I have read a good bit about the introduction and i think we'll be grand.

Jamie's suits me perfect, I've never been but ive heard good things about it. Im easy on time so whatever suits :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Hi girls

Haven't been on in ages - have an excuse though. I have been sleeping! I swear since 27 weeks hit I have just been absolutely wrecked. Is anyone else the same?

It's kind of freaking me out that I am going to be 30 weeks this week. My son was born at just over 38 weeks so I am all too aware that I could have a new baby is just 8 weeks time.

Pretty much ready though. My husband is away this weekend, so I won't really get anything done, but the following week I am determined to get my hospital bag fully packed and get whatever baby clothes I need for the first week or two ready

The house is in reasonably good shape because I have been going nuts cleaning. (I didn't do that last time around! Maybe it didn't need as much cleaning because we didn't have a toddler then!) I don't think I've been doing as much as you though Elly! You're making me feel lazy!

Our buggy arrived today. In the end, we went for a stroller style buggy that takes a small carry cot because I couldn't handle going back to a big travel system again. I'm just so used to the light weight buggy that I hated all the travel systems in the shops. So so different to last time around when I was lusting after them! I'm all about convenience this time around! ;)

Sorry I won't make Jamie's to meet ye. Would have been lovely to meet up - but that's my last weekend at home before heading away for a week for my brothers wedding so I think I'll just be up the walls at home trying to get stuff done. Hope ye have a great time.

Jees all this house cleaning is making me feel very lazy!! This weekend ill tackle it with a vengeance! Aniascor I've been knackered since about 29 weeks. I'm ok on weekends but during the week I'm exhausted.

I need to get some more vests and babygrows and like elly, I'm thinking of just getting some cheaper ones as an emergency. Can't wait to put the little baby wash on :)

• Advertisement

hi yellow hen, ya, was fab! pity u can't be there on 2nd...can you make it happen?!! Elly, LOL, you are hilarious with the cleaning, omg, you made me laugh with all of that scrubbing!!...no wonder you had a melt down, ha ha ha!! think we are supposed to be taking it easy, no??!!! LOL!

Yea, feeling the 3rd trimester too, defo a change going on what with bump starting to get proper big and the legs getting tired trying to carry bump around... And then there's pressure on the groin big time, anyone else feel pressure down below? Finding it very hard to sleep at night these days too, can't lie on right side AT ALL!!! Too painful in the groin! We really are going through some serious physical changes, right?!

Can someone please tell me what they are putting in these hospital bags?? I am having a HomeBirth but thinking I should also have a 'bag' ready in case I have to go in to hospital in the end... thanks!

Lilbe, defo book a table... they were real busy when I was there before, might be a good idea :-)

The OCD is just rediculous that's not even the half of it! We had friends over sat evening and when they left the OH brought the dog for a walk so I tackled the corner press! It was bugging me for ages so I took everything out cleaned the shelves and rearranged everything it was about 10:30 when I actually sat down.
    Sunday I decided I'd try bake my first apple pie and make bruschetta for the first time, after shopping for 3 hrs i came home and tackled both. By 7pm after cooking and cleaning up I was completely worn out! No wonder my legs are so bad with aches and protruding veins! I'm so used to been active that I actually can't sit down at the weekend if I know something needs to be done.
    Note to self I need to try relax on my days off!! :-)

Caramelbarrel there is a thread about hosp bags think it might be page 5 or 6 or further if on the phone. I was looking at it lastnight it's actually good to get an idea of what to pack especially from mums gone before us! I know I got a mag in my eumom pack at my first appt and there is a list of what to pack for hosp bag and labour bag in that.

It really is so exciting but daunting at the same time when it's No.1.

YH I have my first ante natal class 2moro evening what should I expect and did you bring your Hubby?

You are just gas elly... STOP!!! Sit down and put your feet up!!! ha ha ha!! take that ocd and put it out the window!! corner press or couch? corner press or couch? corner press or couch? your pregnant!! COUCH!!!! lol!

thanks, yea, I haven't picked up that eumom pack from supervalue yet... cool! must go tomorrow and get that pack and then get this 'bag' list, great :-)

elly123 wrote: »
    YH I have my first ante natal class 2moro evening what should I expect and did you bring your Hubby?

hi Elly, yep my husband came to 3 of the 5 classes. We both unfortunately missed the labour pain/medication class as we had a consultants appt on at the same time. The class is 1.5 hours (mine was on donore avenue but yours is prob in the hospital itself). It's very relaxed really and a midwive just chats to you all about whats coming. The first class was about the end stages of pregnancy and what to expect when you go into labour. I know other people here have said they knew most of the stuff already but I didn't and actually enjoyed the class.

re: your ocd in cleaning...you are hilarious. I'm starting to clean now but I'm still nothing on you! Over the last fortnight, I have filled about 4 large bags for the charity shop...dumped some towels and lots of bedlinen etc. We finally moved some of our wedding presents to the attic (we just dont have the space to take everything out) so things are taking shape. The moses basket covers have been washed and ironed and also the buggy fabrics ( we bought second hand). Can't wait now....only 28 days of work left :)

yellow hen wrote: »
    hi Elly, yep my husband came to 3 of the 5 classes. We both unfortunately missed the labour pain/medication class as we had a consultants appt on at the same time. The class is 1.5 hours (mine was on donore avenue but yours is prob in the hospital itself). It's very relaxed really and a midwive just chats to you all about whats coming. The first class was about the end stages of pregnancy and what to expect when you go into labour. I know other people here have said they knew most of the stuff already but I didn't and actually enjoyed the class.

re: your ocd in cleaning...you are hilarious. I'm starting to clean now but I'm still nothing on you! Over the last fortnight, I have filled about 4 large bags for the charity shop...dumped some towels and lots of bedlinen etc. We finally moved some of our wedding presents to the attic (we just dont have the space to take everything out) so things are taking shape. The moses basket covers have been washed and ironed and also the buggy fabrics ( we bought second hand). Can't wait now....only 28 days of work left :)

Thanks YH - Im looking forward to it now, its kinda exciting.

Oh and i forgot before our friends came over on Sat i changed my bedlinen and took all the bedlinen from the hot press and folded it all neatly back up, seriously thinking back i actually dont know how i did it all! The week before i did the clothes clear out! im a Bi*ch for keeping everything and not throwing anything out so i was ruthless one evening and i filled two black sacks of my stuff, most of it all rewearable so off to the charity shop they go! I really think the nesting has well and truely set in!

I got the medela breast pump from my friend, im going to replace the suction pads and i also got the baby swing/rock chair so i think we are pretty much sorted now, a few small things to get but if baby was to arrive anytime now i think we'd be fine.

i have roughly 28 working days left aswel with i dont finish until the 8th but i have days off here and there in between so think it works out about 28. That has kinda made my Tuesday morning realising i dont have as much as i taught :)

Hey girls,

I feel the pressure on my legs too! It's not too bad when I walk, but when I have to stand it's just too tiring.
    Elly you are gas! So much cleaning! And you do it all yourself - wow! I don't hoover or wash floors any more, or wash cupboards near the floor where you need to bend - my OH helps me with that. My cleaning responsibilities are surfaces etc, where you can reach when standing.
    I noticed when I wash up, I can't stand too close to the sink because of the belly, does anyone else have that?
    And do you have any problems with putting on socks/runners? OH has to do it for me, if I have to do it on my own, it's just too awkward.

What time should we book Jamie's for and for how many people? Is it 4 of us? And does everybody agree on Jamie's?

I wouldn't mind the OH gives out because I do too much and offers to help, im just happier doing it myself. Hoovering the floors doesn't take anything out of me as they are wooden floors so hoover glides over them, the OH does the carpets on stairs and bedrooms. I've noticed that if my tummy touches the counter when im washing the dishes i get a weird sensation! Don't have too much of problem with the shoes or socks yet. I was shaving my legs last night in the shower and it was just about manageable, I'd say another 3 or 4 weeks and i'll be asking the OH to do it :)

I've no prob with Jamie's and any time suits me :)

Oh Elly, the sheets coming out and being refolded has given me a right giggle... what a laugh!

Lilbe I defo notice bending down and putting on shoes and socks to be different than normal! I have to sit on the end of the stairs to do it, lol!! Or try to bring my feet up and slide on an auld pair of Uggs rather than bend down to them!

Defo pressure around the pubic bone and groin area and legs tire more quickly. In fact a quick run up the stairs and I am panting a bit, unreal!!

I'm on for Jamies's anytime suits me too :-)

OH no!!!! Had just posted big long post and lost it!
    Yellow Hen-I really think we are twins in a paralell universe or something-every time you post you say something I have just done or am about to do! I'll be getting edgy whenever you go into labour if it's before me!!!!
    I think we have been talking about restaurants at cross wires! Howards Way or Jamies? I don't mind either way but I am also happy to book?
    I haven't been able to easily do the shoes and socks thing for ages-poor husband! Feel like Cinderella!
    Never mind the sink-I'm sitting at my desk now feeling like I'm at a funny distance cos of the bump :-)
    Husband cannot wait for me to start nesting-lets just say he's a bit neurotically tidy and organised and-well-I'm not! He keeps asking me when I will start!
    We are still going through the trying to buy a house fiasco! Oh girls it is all such a mess I am starting to think we just abandon it! You would think with things the way they are sellers would be taking the hand off us-but no!
    Got to pilates monday night and the gym a bit. Definitely notice the difference this week-not as easy. Pilates really is great though. Just feel 100% better when I come out. Wish it was proper pregnancy one but with work hours just can't find one that works and it's run by physios so they know what they are doing...
    Have carpel tunnel! No pain or anything-just the worst handwriting in the entire world ever! Though it was an old injury until physio guy from pilates explained... Anyone else?
    OK-stupid question.... (so don't judge :-)) Do I need to have a breast pump in advance or can you manage for a while without one?

• Advertisement

Hey,

Wicklori, you can book, any time will suit me too :)
    Breast pump - my mum did not have one and she managed to raise me, so I guess it's not the first necessity :)
    Are you guys going to breastfeed? I am going to and went to a workshop on breatfeeding, and was very surprised when the teacher told us that Ireland has the lowest rates in breatfeeding in Europe, everybody uses formula. How can artificial milk be better for a baby than breast milk? Just find it so strange!

Advertisement