Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due March 2013 thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

elly123 wrote: »
    I had my second ante natal class last night, driving there straight from work i was wrecked and i really just wanted to go home to bed but really enjoyed it felt i learnt a lot about the pain relief etc and they passed around the TENS machine, midwife said its great for early labour at home and some people find it brilliant for the first stage.
    I was always of the opinion that as soon as labour starts you go to the hospital but midwife was saying unless your really scared or an anxious person stay at home in the comfort of your own home and occupy yourself until your pains are 5mins apart lasting 30 seconds or more that's only of course providing the waters haven't gone and i suppose your distance from the hosp. Finding the classed very interesting i must say.

They are good aren't they. The pain relief class was the one that I missed. :o Funny, I met a friend yest who had a baby and she said that no-one tells you how painful breastfeeding is..between the cracked and bleeding nipples and blocked ducts, it is infinitely more painful than labour...ick! She swore by multi-mama compressors which give relief to your nipples so going to invest in them.

Im 34 weeks tomorrow so am going to try giving the perineal massage a go (if I can reach :o). I'm so bad at doing my exercises, i rarely remember to do my pelvic floor exercices...defo needing a routine of sorts!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lilbe

yellow hen wrote: »
    Funny, I met a friend yest who had a baby and she said that no-one tells you how painful breastfeeding is..between the cracked and bleeding nipples and blocked ducts, it is infinitely more painful than labour...ick! She swore by multi-mama compressors which give relief to your nipples so going to invest in them.

YH, I went to a breastfeeding workshop, and it was very good - they showed us a video, explained how to hold the baby and even gave dolls to parctice holding a baby :)
    Anyway, the teacher said that breastfeeding should not be painful if you hold the baby right and if he takes nipple in the right way. If it causes discomfort, then probably you are doing something wrong and there is a breastfeeding meet up to discuss it and to see what they might be doing wrong.
    In Rotunda they have this meet up every week and probably they have something similar in other hospitals.
    My point is - don't rush buying stuff straight away, may be you won't need it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

They are good aren't they. The pain relief class was the one that I missed. :o Funny, I met a friend yest who had a baby and she said that no-one tells you how painful breastfeeding is..between the cracked and bleeding nipples and blocked ducts, it is infinitely more painful than labour...ick! She swore by multi-mama compressors which give relief to your nipples so going to invest in them.

Im 34 weeks tomorrow so am going to try giving the perineal massage a go (if I can reach :o). I'm so bad at doing my exercises, i rarely remember to do my pelvic floor exercices...defo needing a routine of sorts!

I have heard cabbage leaves are also good for the breasts.

We received a leaflet about the perineal massage last night aswel, i haven't had a chance to read it yet, but i did look into it awhile back when i first came across it, I also informed the OH that it would be his job :):) i will see how we go. The midwife was saying that 75% of women in the coombe don't require stitching and the coombe very rarely perform episiotomys which was somewhat nice to hear as i have such a horrible fear of tearing, i don't like the idea of forceps either which is what we will discuss in next weeks class so im looking forward to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭wicklori

That was the other thing I forgot-we had our ante-natal class on saturday. Paid the money and did the private one. Kinda glad to have it all done in one day. Very informative, I would really recommend it to first timers.... Did everything from pregnancy complaints, through the stages of labour and pain relief to recovery to bathing and changing baby, breast and bottle feeding.....

They mentioned the massage thing yellow hen.... I would like to try it but bit squirmy bout it......

They also said no pumps for first few weeks-really they weren't big into them at all! And they said absolutely no formula either if really want breastfeeding to work.... Tough women!

!
    wicklori wrote: »
    That was the other thing I forgot-we had our ante-natal class on saturday. Paid the money and did the private one. Kinda glad to have it all done in one day. Very informative, I would really recommend it to first timers.... Did everything from pregnancy complaints, through the stages of labour and pain relief to recovery to bathing and changing baby, breast and bottle feeding.....

They mentioned the massage thing yellow hen.... I would like to try it but bit squirmy bout it......

They also said no pumps for first few weeks-really they weren't big into them at all! And they said absolutely no formula either if really want breastfeeding to work.... Tough women!

Our antenatal was much the same. I plan to try breastfeeding but I'm under no illusion that its going to be diffucult. Lilbe, I understand that IF you hold the baby right and IF he takes nipple in the right way, it shouldnt be painful but I remember reading a research paper on lactation and something like 82% of women find it tremendously painful so getting the hold/latch etc right is obviously very difficult. Then you have people who do all the right things and then end up with blocked ducts or mastitis.

Anyway, sounds like we're all going to give it a go so we can compare notes afterwards!

OH is out on a work night tonight so I think I'm going to go home and get my hospital bags in order. Bought these (http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/50237627/) in IKEA at the weekend for the babys first outfit etc so OH doesn't have to go flitting through my stuff looking for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Hi girls, great to hear how everyone is getting on. Time is really flying by isn't it? I'm not doing any antenatal classes this time around. Just listening to my Gentlebirth CDs and reading some books on birth.

Breastfeeding was a lot harder than I expected last time around and I'm more anxious about it this time than I am about labour!! Mainly because last time I thought that if it didn't work out so be it, but this time I feel much more strongly about it - I guess I know a lot more now than I did before and so it means more to me now. I've read Dr jack newmans guide to breastfeeding which is absolutely brilliant and I really wish I had read it last time around because when he was describing the problems that can happen and why they might happen I felt like he was talking about me. I really feel I learned a lot from the book - and that's with seven months of breastfeeding under my belt previously.

Right now I'm reading the La Leche League guide to breastfeeding and that's very good too. But I preferred the jack Newman book.

The main thing if you experience problems is to ask to help. There's a great Mammy's breastfeeding chat group on Facebook that is worth joining. The women there know a lot and can be really helpful.

And if you're having problems in the hospital demand to see the lactation consultant because although they will try their best to help, many of the midwives and nurses aren't qualified in giving breastfeeding advice.

I have big plans to pack the hospital bag this weekend. Think I have bought everything for it now. I'll be glad to have it some
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Caramelbarrel

hi girlies...

BIG question for you...

Up until today I have been planning and preparing for a Home Birth with a water pool.
    My very dear and old & wise friend in America sent me an email today with a lot of concerns about me having a Home Birth. She is worried because I am small framed and as a Yoga teacher, my muscles are strong... What if something happens because I am small boned, etc etc... I am also living in Killiney so not exactly 10 mins from Holles St, more like 25 mins I guess... so this worries her too...if something happened to me or baby. I've been holding positive thoughts all along just her email today got me thinking...

Any thoughts dear ladies?

Also, really looking forward to meeting you guys on the 2nd!!! Great for 2nd.

Wicklori, I have terrible pains today and been all tonight going on!! Any movement I make is a tad agony...! Right in my lower abdominals on both sides - all across, and this is a new pain... It's defo not labor, LOL!! But really sore in the lower belly..
    Is that what you felt on Sunday??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

!

OH is out on a work night tonight so I think I'm going to go home and get my hospital bags in order. Bought these (http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/50237627/) in IKEA at the weekend for the babys first outfit etc so OH doesn't have to go flitting through my stuff looking for it!

Great idea YH, thanks! I had been planning on using the glad sandwich bags or something but they look much more durable :)

CaramelBarrel, I would talk to your midwives about your concerns. As far as I am aware, the midwives for homebirths here are quick to transfer you if problems arise. Your friend may not be comparing like with like, because the midwives who attend homebirths in the states are not necessarily medically qualified - in a lot of cases, they would be closer to what we would call a doula here. So she may be working from some false assumptions.

Caramelbar, like aniascor, I think you should talk to your midwife also. I don't know anything about home births so can't offer any advise, sorry!

I was back with consultant this morn and everything is perfect. Im 34 weeks tomorrow and he said it's measuring 33 but at this stage it could be x weeks +/- 2 weeks. Size etc. all looks pretty normal. I'm to go to my gp at 36 weeks and back to consultant at 38. As it happens I have something in that I cannot miss at the 38 week appt so I made the appt for 37weeks instead. Should be ok.

• Advertisement

Hey girls, just thinking about February - March and it gets scary close! There is a gig I wanted to go to in the end of Feb, but what if the baby comes early? It's getting very real!
    And I want to meet up with all my friends before the baby is born, as afterwards I have no idea what it will be like, I will probably be mad busy and tired. It's like moving to a different country, trying to finalise everything and fit in as much as you can! :)

hi girlies...

BIG question for you...

Up until today I have been planning and preparing for a Home Birth with a water pool.
    My very dear and old & wise friend in America sent me an email today with a lot of concerns about me having a Home Birth. She is worried because I am small framed and as a Yoga teacher, my muscles are strong... What if something happens because I am small boned, etc etc... I am also living in Killiney so not exactly 10 mins from Holles St, more like 25 mins I guess... so this worries her too...if something happened to me or baby. I've been holding positive thoughts all along just her email today got me thinking...

Also, really looking forward to meeting you guys on the 2nd!!! Great for 2nd.

Wicklori, I have terrible pains today and been all tonight going on!! Any movement I make is a tad agony...! Right in my lower abdominals on both sides - all across, and this is a new pain... It's defo not labor, LOL!! But really sore in the lower belly..
    Is that what you felt on Sunday??

Caramel that sounds quite like sunday for me.... TMI but are you having any pains through your felluja??? Kinda like shooting pains?
    I was wondering if it was the baby turning? Was sorry I didn't ring the midwife and just get my mind put at ease but felt like a bit of an eejit! I haven't had any pains or aches and presumed most women have had and are used to them and this was me overreacting. Moral of-I'd ring the midwife if I could do it over....

25 mins isn't far from a hospital should you need one.... It wouldn't be 25 mins in an ambulance-and think of that in a positive rather than a negative way. Yes it's very brave to have a home birth but you thought this decision through and discussed it with your midwife-there is no way she will leave you at home if she gets the sniff of a risk-apart from anything else her neck is on the line.....

I was wondering if it was the baby turning? Was sorry I didn't ring the midwife and just get my mind put at ease but felt like a bit of an eejit! QUOTE]

I've had those pains on and off...sometimes they're like someone sticking and twisiting a knife into my ahem...bits! I did say it to the doc and she said that the pressure of the head being down can sometimes feel like that. I think I just expected more of a dull achy sort of pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭meggysmom

I had these pains 1st time around,not this time so far,my midwife at the time actually asked me if I felt them,so was relieved to know they are normal,I would describe them as a lightning rod pain right up my you know what-would stop you in your tracks,not nice but obviously very common especially on your 1st!!!

Thanks Aniascor… yea, you may well be right there, we are such a Pro-Life county here that possibly I would be transferred to hospital at the slightest sign of anything going 'wrong' as they say. It could well be true that's my dear older friend, her experience of friends who had Home Births that didn't end well are because it's a different system in the states. I mean they don't even allow you to have a water birth here, you have to get out of the water…. thanks so much.

Ya, thanks YH, will talk more with the midwife and my doctor too, get as much info as I can before I change or do anything… I can change my mind about a Home Birth right up till the end anyways.

Wicklori, do you think in an ambulance from Killiney it would be quicker than 25 mins? What do you think? Like 15 - 20 mins up the N11? Thanks, that does re-assure me again. Yea, I did think it through, a lot, and I guess if I have any doubt or feeling or if the midwife has any doubt during the labour - I would be told I have to change to hospital… So, maybe it's ok… But I will talk it through with GP again to get her honest opinion too.

My dear american friend just really cares for me and is worried, she is so sweet and loving… and just wants the best really…

But sure still time to decide… thanks so much for all your thoughts… actually really helpful girls :-) :-) grateful for your responce :-)

thank you :-) :-)

Wicklori, the pains across the lower belly have lifted today, think I'm just getting really tired now as baby girl gets bigger. And still teaching Yoga maybee not helping, but means must... I don't have any shooting daggers up my hoo haaaa (!!!) but I do have sharp darting pains on the right side of my groin and have had those for 2 months or so… think I pulled something teaching what with all the ligaments and everything so loose and all over the place…

Guess the pressure of babies head, as Yellow Hen says, is going to play havoc all around that area as we get closer….

Just wanted to say too...
    Had my first Ante-Natal class this evening in Kilmacanic with a midwife called Julie...
    Was really informative and useful.
    And she had a really good energy, she was full of life...
    :-)

Ok not to tempt fate but at 34 weeks I still feel really good. In a perverse way though, it kind of scares me that when the real pain comes i'll have built up no coping mechanism. Does anyone else feel nervous about coping with the pain?

Before I had my first baby yellow
    Hen, I would have sworn blind that I had a really low pain threshold. In fact i still think I do. But on the day, I coped really well - and in the end a little bit of gas and air for a few minutes when I was getting ready to push saw me through. Don't get me wrong - it was painful, but as long as I wasn't on my back and could change positions, I coped really well. And I found hypnobirthing great for keeping me calm, and acupressure great for countering some of the pain and pressure. So here I am now knowing what's ahead of me, knowing I still have a low pain threshold when it comes to everyday pain, and not worried at all about labour. In the end it's just a few hours or a day, and once it's over it's over. Even between contractions, once they stopped the pain stopped, so there was plenty of time to catch my breath. And at the stage when there was no gap between contractions I was almost done anyway. I'd say try not to worry about it, and have an open mind on the day, and you'll be fine.

And bear in mind that I am complaining this week that the baby's kicks are really hurting me so you can use that as a measure of my pain threshold!!

• Advertisement

Not too worried about the pain part Yellow Hen.
    Reading lots about the Hypnobirthing methods that Aniascor is talking about and getting prepared mentally to just feel the pain and not freak out and just breath through it... Deep deep long breaths through every sensation... Some woman enjoy the sensations!! They say they are so powerful that they can actually enjoy such a huge power moving through them!! It's all in the mind... !! She says now!! LOL! Sounds words Aniascor, very positive attitude which obviously helped you through your last birth, good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

hi girlies...

BIG question for you...

Caramelbarrel,

I wouldn't worry about the travel time. Like the girls say, the slightest hint of a problem and the midwife will ring an ambulance. The closest base to you is Loughlinstown and from having worked out of there I can tell you that there is always an ambulance waiting and ready to go. The crews are great and its just 5mins from Killiney so they would be with you in no time.

The official travel time from Killiney to Holles St. is 23mins but with lights and sirens id say you could easily take 10mins off that. You will be fine. Best of luck with the homebirth.

Ok not to tempt fate but at 34 weeks I still feel really good. In a perverse way though, it kind of scares me that when the real pain comes i'll have built up no coping mechanism. Does anyone else feel nervous about coping with the pain?
    YH, I'm not worried about the pain, you just have to live through it, what I'm worried about is the pushing - that's where I think you have to work really hard! What if I can't push or tear something when pushing? Scary!

Lilbe wrote: »
    YH, I'm not worried about the pain, you just have to live through it, what I'm worried about is the pushing - that's where I think you have to work really hard! What if I can't push or tear something when pushing? Scary!

Sorry, Im including the prospect of tearing in the pain fear! I guess it'll happen and once it's over, I'll forget about it but I think as the date approaches, it's definitely on my mind more!

I agree that mental preparation definitely helps. I was able to keep really calm - and that helps a lot. I just kept taking deep breaths in and then breathing out for a slow count of seven. It really focused my mind. And I mentally repeated to myself "Relax your face, relax your shoulders, relax your hands. "

I was worried about pushing too but in the end my body just did it. I didn't have much to do with it! Just kept doing my long breaths out and the baby kept moving down with each one. The midwife was trying to coach me to push but I didn't like forcing it. I tried it for one or two pushes and then switched back to my way of just deep breathing out. Worked way better for me. And baby was born really quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

aniascor wrote: »
    I agree that mental preparation definitely helps. I was able to keep really calm - and that helps a lot. I just kept taking deep breaths in and then breathing out for a slow count of seven. It really focused my mind. And I mentally repeated to myself "Relax your face, relax your shoulders, relax your hands. "

I agree aniascor mental preparation is key. Your labour and delivery sounds perfect and by perfect i don't mean easy we all know its not going to be easy or pain free and its nice to hear all went well for you.

I've watched probably one too many "one born every minute" programmes and even from that you see the women that are more calm and relaxed seem to get through it better.
    I obv have never been through it but i have it in my head the calmer i am the better it will be and i will get through it, i know that its not going to last forever and i think once you know what the pain is and i think that knowing at the end of it all you will have your precious little baby in your arms has to help you get through it.
    I see these women on one born and there constantly saying i cant do this and what not and the midwives are trying to encourage them and keep them calm for the babys sake aswel as everyone elses and they just don't care. The way i feel about it is i want this baby so bad and i will do whatever i am told to do so that i dont cause any distress on my baby and that he arrives safe and sound... in a weird kinda way im looking forward to this experience :)

Ok, so can I be really honest? I 'm fecking terrified of the pain, the tearing, the mess that will be my ladygarden afterwards-ALL OF IT! I am hopeless at the 'focus on your breathing' stuff-I believe in it I'm just bad at doing it. OH is MASSIVELY into it-constantly on about it-as recently as last night when I had some pain or another.... I don't know how it is all going to work out. I am a fairly positive person-and I know I will come out the other end and everything will be worth it but if I am really honest-that is how I feel.
    I don't think I am worried about anything else-despite baby being breech and having an anterior placenta-I am just carrying on regardless about all that! Like you YH, apart from bit of morning sickness at the weekends at the beginning, I have escaped remarkably well. Think my child bearing frame has finally come into it's own :D:D (Hopefully that might get me through the labour as well...)
    At pilates the other night the physio (a guy) was encouraging me to work on my bum muscles-you'll need them says he.... I think we are doing everything we can by the sounds of it and somehow or another by the middle of April we'll all be Mammies!

Thanks Aniascor… yea, you may well be right there, we are such a Pro-Life county here that possibly I would be transferred to hospital at the slightest sign of anything going 'wrong' as they say. It could well be true that's my dear older friend, her experience of friends who had Home Births that didn't end well are because it's a different system in the states. I mean they don't even allow you to have a water birth here, you have to get out of the water…. thanks so much.

Ya, thanks YH, will talk more with the midwife and my doctor too, get as much info as I can before I change or do anything… I can change my mind about a Home Birth right up till the end anyways.

Wicklori, do you think in an ambulance from Killiney it would be quicker than 25 mins? What do you think? Like 15 - 20 mins up the N11? Thanks, that does re-assure me again. Yea, I did think it through, a lot, and I guess if I have any doubt or feeling or if the midwife has any doubt during the labour - I would be told I have to change to hospital… So, maybe it's ok… But I will talk it through with GP again to get her honest opinion too.

My dear american friend just really cares for me and is worried, she is so sweet and loving… and just wants the best really…

But sure still time to decide… thanks so much for all your thoughts… actually really helpful girls :-) :-) grateful for your responce :-)

thank you :-) :-)

Wicklori, the pains across the lower belly have lifted today, think I'm just getting really tired now as baby girl gets bigger. And still teaching Yoga maybee not helping, but means must... I don't have any shooting daggers up my hoo haaaa (!!!) but I do have sharp darting pains on the right side of my groin and have had those for 2 months or so… think I pulled something teaching what with all the ligaments and everything so loose and all over the place…

Guess the pressure of babies head, as Yellow Hen says, is going to play havoc all around that area as we get closer….

Caramel-all will be well. Jees-if a yoga instructor can't manage it it's a porr look out for the rest of us ;)

I think your American friend whilst trying to be helpful might be speaking in a bit of a vaccuum. The whole pregnancy thing seems to be quite different over there-look at the rate of c-sections for example? You made a rational, well-thought-out decision around a home birth and you should stick to it unless medically advised otherwise. I would LOVE to have had a home birth and I live a bit further from a hospital than you. Stay with your personal medical advice and stay positive. If there's a problem-you will deal with it.

• Advertisement

Ok, so can I be really honest? I 'm fecking terrified of the pain, the tearing, the mess that will be my ladygarden afterwards-ALL OF IT!

Wicklori, I just keep saying to myself that once the pain comes, it won't last forever, 48 hours max, and then there will be a gorgeous baby to reward you for all the suffering! :)
    Tearing is scary allright, it will need to heal etc., so not just 48 hours, don't even know how long that will take. And if it's a c-section for some reason, even more time to heal... That's what I'm scared of!

Advertisement