Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due March 2013 thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭annettea

Is that what yesterday was a growth spurt katelynn was on the breast for 6 hours and I literally had no milk left so I was in a mess made a bottle she guzzled 3 oz and fell asleep and so did I. Bottles all night and slept and it's so good to sleep. She seems alot more content now. How u getting on wicklori?
    Thank u yellow hen but u know yourself you just want to keep going with the breastfeeding. I also got infacol and it does wonders with a windy baby. In least with the bottles I know she's well fed and with the infacol she's winded its just nappies and warmth thereafter ha.
    Hope everyone is keeping well. X
    Lilbe thank u I know she has a great latch its just the long feeds like you had, I don't have any time to do the housework or have a cup of tea and I really have to watch what I eat because shell be in alot of pain if I eat certain foods. How u finding it? How's u keeping?
    Caramel were all waiting patiently

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Caramelbarrel

Hi mums!

Bonnie was born Tuesday morning, 6.29am :-) :-) :-)

Labour was 4 and half hours and i barely made the delivery suite!

All completely natural nevertheless, a beautiful birth, exactly what I had wanted for me and little girlie :-)

Love her beyond words....the whole thing is amazing, right??!!

B'feeding going really well....yes, and a serious lack of sleep by now... worth it though :-)

xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭wicklori

Caramel!!!!!! Congratulations Hun!!!! So delighted for you xxx welcome to the world Bonnie- such a cute name :-) what weight was she after all? So happy you had the natural birth even if it wasn't at home. Good woman yourself!!!
    Annetta- I hear ya on the stressful nights! Still persevering! Tried infacol and thought it was ok so trying Dentinox now just to see if its any better. Also wondering about giving up dairy.... Any other suggestions? Poor child in agony yesterday evening. Had to sleep in the armchair keeping him upright. Annetta if the night time bottles are working- you go girl! Sounds like you are finding your way really well :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

Big Congrats CB delighted to hear baby Bonnie arrived safe and well and that it all went well for you x x

Ladies fair play to you all with the breast feeding I'd admire you all. It didnt work out for me. Baby wasnt latching well so wasnt getting enough feed. He loves his grub. Drinking 80 to 120mls every 3-4 hrs. Sleeping very well litrrally has his bottle and goes asleep again so far so good don't want to jinks it. Even tho he's sleeping well its still quite tiring. My iron levels are still quite low but getting there! Poor little man was a little constipated the last 3 days gave him a tiny drop of warm water with a drop of sugar and it did the job last night he pooped loads.

Ladies that had sections how are you feeling? It's been 8 days now since section, got clips out Wednesday but have some sterile strips on parts it's still weaping a tiny bit I'm taking the pain killers only once a day. I'm still a tad sore but getting there. Also are you still bleeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭wicklori

elly123 wrote: »
    Big Congrats CB delighted to hear baby Bonnie arrived safe and well and that it all went well for you x x

Ladies fair play to you all with the breast feeding I'd admire you all. It didnt work out for me. Baby wasnt latching well so wasnt getting enough feed. He loves his grub. Drinking 80 to 120mls every 3-4 hrs. Sleeping very well litrrally has his bottle and goes asleep again so far so good don't want to jinks it. Even tho he's sleeping well its still quite tiring. My iron levels are still quite low but getting there! Poor little man was a little constipated the last 3 days gave him a tiny drop of warm water with a drop of sugar and it did the job last night he pooped loads.

Ladies that had sections how are you feeling? It's been 8 days now since section, got clips out Wednesday but have some sterile strips on parts it's still weaping a tiny bit I'm taking the pain killers only once a day. I'm still a tad sore but getting there. Also are you still bleeding?

Hi Elly! Sounds like you have a milk monster on your hands :-) :-)
    I'm still bleeding two weeks post section- but not much. I have dissolvable stitches only so can't help you regarding wound but if its weeping much should you get it checked?

There's a lot to this breast feeding. I'm enjoying it but its not as 'natural' as its cracked up to be. Def don't in any way beat yourself up for not keeping it up. You're recovering from major abdominal surgery AND becoming a parent!!!

• Advertisement

Hi everyone how are babies? No more bumps brilliant everyone had there March baby ..
    Elly I gave up on breastfeeding I just couldn't do it anymore I thought it would be easy but its not. I say some of us were bottlefed and it didn't do us any harm :) I didn't know u got a section hope ur feeling better,
    Is it me or is there a big hype on this breastfeeding? I was literally crying going into the shop buying the formula,, and I still don't like anyone feeding her even though its just been my sister and partner but still it kills me haha.
    Wicklori hope the breastfeeding works out I'm sure it does get easier its just the growth spurts I can't deal with but soon it will be so easy. I just wish it was easier. U can't eat green vegetables, cheese, I ate cheese without knowing and I had a bad night with a baby in pain. U can have a small bit of dairy but not lots. Like milk in ur cornflakes ha. No onions. No spicy foods for awhile. No nuts. Apart from that i think it's more of a try and test. Also tea and coffee to the minimum.

wicklori wrote: »
    Hi Elly! Sounds like you have a milk monster on your hands :-) :-)
    I'm still bleeding two weeks post section- but not much. I have dissolvable stitches only so can't help you regarding wound but if its weeping much should you get it checked?

There's a lot to this breast feeding. I'm enjoying it but its not as 'natural' as its cracked up to be. Def don't in any way beat yourself up for not keeping it up. You're recovering from major abdominal surgery AND becoming a parent!!!

The PHN said she was happy with wound and that it looked good and no sign of infection, that was on Wednesday she said the weaping looked ok. She's back with me Tuesday to weight baby and check me out.

I had my baby blues on thursday, well my mam said it was baby blues, I was bursting into tears for no reason what so ever. My mam called over on Thursday and said I looked a bit washed looking I literally ran up the stairs and burst into tears I sent OH down to my mam with baby until I sorted myself out. I was crying for no reason what so ever.

Annettea deciding to give up B'feeding was hard and I honestly tried even tho it only lasted 2days I can honestly say hand on heart I tried. I did feel bad for first few days afterwards and I felt like a bit of a failure and like I had to explain myself but I soon got over that when I seen how well baby was with the bottles and how much he was feeding I realised baby would have been starving if I persisted with the B'feeding. My OH wanted me to bottle feed after 1st day of b'feeding he seen how hard it was on me and baby, but he didnt persist and was very happy when I did decide to use the bottles. So don't beat yourself up, it really just shows how much it differs from person to person and baby to baby. What formula did you decide to use?
    The "the preparing baby's bottles" book from hse is my bible when doing the bottles. I'll soon get the hang of it.
    We are kinda cheating at night with the feeds. We bought the ready made formula that they give you in the hosp and we are using it at night so it means we're not getting up and going downstairs.

That's a good idea with the ready made formula I bring up half the kitchen with me. I'm using aptimal supposed to be the closest thing to breast milk. Oh the baby blues I think im over them haven't cried since I changed to bottles. I bring up 4 bottles with me, with the boiled water in them, I bring up the box of formula so whenever its time for a feed I just put in the 4 scoops in shake and away we go.
    How come u had to get a section? If ur any bit worried about the stitches no harm in getting them checked out..

annettea wrote: »
    That's a good idea with the ready made formula I bring up half the kitchen with me. I'm using aptimal supposed to be the closest thing to breast milk. Oh the baby blues I think im over them haven't cried since I changed to bottles. I bring up 4 bottles with me, with the boiled water in them, I bring up the box of formula so whenever its time for a feed I just put in the 4 scoops in shake and away we go.
    How come u had to get a section? If ur any bit worried about the stitches no harm in getting them checked out..

We're using aptimal aswel it's what the midwife recommended even tho she said there not suppose to recommend.

I've a few questions I wil go through regards feeding and storing made up bottles with PHN on Tuesday.

Ended up with section due to position baby's head was in tried pushing for 40 mins tried to get one forcep in but wasnt happening so said they'd have to do an episiotomy to use forceps which I didn't want so when I got to theatre for the epiosiotomy baby's head turned so they couldn't do forceps and had to section me.

I know the made up bottles have to be used within 2 hours. I don't know if bringing the boiled water upstairs is okay but it doesn't seem to be harming herself :) and I don't have to go downstairs .. oh ur little man did not want to come out nice and warm where he was. How u feeling after it?
    CB I never congratulated yyou Congrats on ur speedy delivery xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Made up bottles can be kept for 24 hours. Boil the kettle, let the water cool for no longer than 20 mins and make the bottles. Cool them quickly and then put in the fridge. Once they have been re-heated they can only be used for an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Two days past her due date, our beautiful baby girl made an appearance just before 8pm last night. She is a dote, and feeding has been going well. She fed until 4.30am almost constantly so I haven't slept yet and am quite tired now, but I am delighted to have her in my arms.

Congrats aniascor I think that's us all now in the march tread. Baby didnt keep you waiting too long :-) hope your feeling well xxx

Thanks kitten k. Have you noticed the milk stinks when it's pre made?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Elly can't say I have noticed any smell but we have always done it like that so are probably just used to the smell.

It makes life much easier being able to make a few. We have a Tommee Tippee steriliser which holds 6 bottles so we make 6 bottles each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lilbe

aniascor and caramelbarrel, congratulations! Are all the march babies here now?
    For me breastfeeding has ups and downs. love holding the baby so close and to know that I provide to him all the food he needs, but it gets tough during growth spurts and when I don't latch him properly and my nipples are sore. We are having a4 weeks growth spurt now, feel drained, but getting through it. Thought that the baby drank all the milk and that he was not getting much at night, but then during the day had very wet and dirty nappies, so he does get his food! Also my nipples were very sore, nearly cried when he latched, but lanolin cream helped a lot.

with the section bleeding stopped just a couple of days ago, nearly a month after the surgery.

Oh and my baby is 1 month today! Time flies!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Lilbe wrote: »
    aniascor and caramelbarrel, congratulations! Are all the march babies here now?
    For me breastfeeding has ups and downs. love holding the baby so close and to know that I provide to him all the food he needs, but it gets tough during growth spurts and when I don't latch him properly and my nipples are sore. We are having a4 weeks growth spurt now, feel drained, but getting through it. Thought that the baby drank all the milk and that he was not getting much at night, but then during the day had very wet and dirty nappies, so he does get his food! Also my nipples were very sore, nearly cried when he latched, but lanolin cream helped a lot.

with the section bleeding stopped just a couple of days ago, nearly a month after the surgery.

Oh and my baby is 1 month today! Time flies!

Many congrats smiascor and caramel barrel. Hope everything is going well for you and your little ones :)

Lilbe we had that growths putt last week and my boobs were saggy bags, thry were so empty!! He was getting everything he needed though so I needn't have worried either.

We had a rough Easter, our lil man got horrendous reflux snd we ended up taking him to hospital on Friday. He was put on baby gaviscon and I decided to love from breastfeeding to formula. Not sure which is working but since lady night, the change is remarkable. He went from heartwrenching crying for several hours straight to smiling today. I nearly had a breakdown on say and today I feel do elated to see him in good form. I feel sad that the closeness we had in breastfeeding lasted only 4 weeks but if it helps the little man I don't mind. We've put him on cartons of the aptamil First milk and he's taking it fine. What are you girls giving your babies and how often are they feeding? Its completely Different to the 'feed on demand' of breastfeeding!!!

yellow hen wrote: »
    Many congrats smiascor and caramel barrel. Hope everything is going well for you and your little ones :)

Lilbe we had that growths putt last week and my boobs were saggy bags, thry were so empty!! He was getting everything he needed though so I needn't have worried either.

We had a rough Easter, our lil man got horrendous reflux snd we ended up taking him to hospital on Friday. He was put on baby gaviscon and I decided to love from breastfeeding to formula. Not sure which is working but since lady night, the change is remarkable. He went from heartwrenching crying for several hours straight to smiling today. I nearly had a breakdown on say and today I feel do elated to see him in good form. I feel sad that the closeness we had in breastfeeding lasted only 4 weeks but if it helps the little man I don't mind. We've put him on cartons of the aptamil First milk and he's taking it fine. What are you girls giving your babies and how often are they feeding? Its completely Different to the 'feed on demand' of breastfeeding!!!

Awh YH sorry to hear you had to take him to hosp but glad he's now much better and smiling.

We are using a combination of aptimal cartons and formula. More so formula now. Little man is quite wheezy. I think it's wind so got the infacol drops yesterday seem to be helping a bit. He is feeding pretty much between 2.5hrs to 4 hrs. and taking between 2-4 ounces. I have PHN back today to weigh him and he has been constipated and only goes if we give him a tiny drop of warm boiled water with a drop of sugar and only seems to go when we're changing his nappy!!!
    We had a bad night Sunday couldn't settle him he was awake from 8:30 to after 2, winded him for about 2hrs eventually he fell asleep on my chest.. But last night he literally woke bang on every 3hrs so we got sleep in between.

Infacol is amazing isn't it Elly? I think the trapped wind stops them pooing I think it does for my little one anyway. :)
    yellow hen how r u? And ur little man? U did great 4 weeks is amazing on the breast, how u finding the bottles? Katelyn seems alot more content with the bottles and I can do alot more things now as I can plan not like with the breast :) u did great?

hi guys!

Thanks for congrats!

And great and well done to you aniascor....welcome to the club ;-) ;-)

love reading everyone's stories...
    behind you but pretty much the same here LWicklori....day 11.... baby basically stuck to the boob - ALL the time... mental!
    i find when she's having this 'growth spurt' she's more anxtsy when at the boob and then she seems to get wind and then the next feeds she is just back to normal... Feed and sleep, feed and sleep, feed and be anxsty and sleep, feed and sleep, etc etc... and all the nappies too of course.

Loving it all though. Boobs like footballs, yay, tee heeeeee!!

Annettea, funny with brining the kitchen sink up with you, loL! Yea, my bedroom looks like a changing parlour now!

Elly, I also have had 2 sessions of bursting out into tears for no apparent reason -- just let them flow out --- and then was grand again... funny really...

Libe, can't believe your little one is a month old already, OMG... how did that happen?

Does everyone have a filthy rotten hunger on them???? Can't eat enough, the breast feeding makes you want to eat a horse...yum yummm ;-) ;-) not!

xxx

Oh jaaaasssss...

First outing tomorrow... scarYYYY!

Baby's 2 week doctor check.

How did everyone find their first outing with baby? Car, car seats, driving, travel system, feeding while out, etc etc etc... I'm SCARED!!!

xxx

• Advertisement

Oh jaaaasssss...

How did everyone find their first outing with baby? Car, car seats, driving, travel system, feeding while out, etc etc etc... I'm SCARED!!!

xxx
    hey Caramelbarrel, we have been out quiet a bit now. The baby loves the car and the pram so far - even if we leave the house crying, he falls asleep and stays asleep. Do you breastfeed? If yes, feeding should be easy :-)

Oh jaaaasssss...

xxx

Hey CB, we've been out a few times I even stayed over in my mams the weekend. It takes a lot of perperation to go out I find but it's great to get out. You will be fine just give yourself plenty of time to get yourself sorted.
    We had our 2wk check up on Friday doc didnt even take Sean out of car seat just checked his chest and that was it. Said he'll do a full check up on both of us, when he's 6 weeks.

Both myself and OH have started our healthy eating from today and I got out for a 40 min walk with baby, OH and dog. I'm feeling much better sore the odd time, I'd say I'm 85% back to myself after section. Not pushing myself at all just wanted to get back to some what normality with eating properly and getting out of the house.

How are all the babas doing?

CB best if luck with the docs x x x

Great to hear you're all settling in so well girls. I hear you cb and elly on how long it takes to go anywhere. We try to go out somewhere every day even if it does take an age. Unfortunately baby o has reflux so some days are much harder than others. We're still trying to find a way to manage it and I'm not getting much sleep at night :(

Annettea if your little one is still having probs pooing just mix 2 teaspoons of brown sugar in 4oz water. Only give her 1oz though. It works a dream!

Bubs is 5 weeks old now.... Where does the time go?!!!

Great to hear you're all settling in so well girls. I hear you cb and elly on how long it takes to go anywhere. We try to go out somewhere every day even if it does take an age. Unfortunately baby o has reflux so some days are much harder than others. We're still trying to find a way to manage it and I'm not getting much sleep at night :(

Annettea if your little one is still having probs pooing just mix 2 teaspoons of brown sugar in 4oz water. Only give her 1oz though. It works a dream!

Bubs is 5 weeks old now.... Where does the time go?!!!

Sorry to hear baba has reflux hopefully it settles soon. How much of the bottle is he taking?

We have a little monster on our hands he's taking 4.5 ounces of the bottle every 3-4 hrs. Trying to delay it as long as possible between feeds but sometimes it's impossible. We've started giving him a drop of water aswel.

The sugar and water defo works for the constipation. PHN said its not advisable anymore tho something about new guidelines to be honest the doc and girl in boots said its ok but PHN said not to give it. Then PHN said this morning might need to put Sean on hungry baby formula but yet midwife in ante natal classes told us not to go near it! Talk about confusing new mothers! I think I'll just stick with the formula we're using and put an extra ounce in the bottles when he starts taking the full 5.

Sorry to hear baba has reflux hopefully it settles soon. How much of the bottle is he taking?

We have a little monster on our hands he's taking 4.5 ounces of the bottle every 3-4 hrs. Trying to delay it as long as possible between feeds but sometimes it's impossible. We've started giving him a drop of water aswel.

The sugar and water defo works for the constipation. PHN said its not advisable anymore tho something about new guidelines to be honest the doc and girl in boots said its ok but PHN said not to give it. Then PHN said this morning might need to put Sean on hungry baby formula but yet midwife in ante natal classes told us not to go near it! Talk about confusing new mothers! I think I'll just stick with the formula we're using and put an extra ounce in the bottles when he starts taking the full 5.

Elly I remember midwife at antenatal saying hungry baby was nonsense too! I honestly don't pay too much heed to the PHN. Could you just increase his feed to 5oz? Some babies are just hungrier than others.... At least he's thriving!

Our little man takes about 4oz every 3.5/4 hours but he screams after it as it starts to rise in his oesophagus and burn him. I've stopped breastfeeding completely now. We can't put him lying after a feed so he's on our arms alot. Poor little man is miserable at times.

Elly I remember midwife at antenatal saying hungry baby was nonsense too! I honestly don't pay too much heed to the PHN. Could you just increase his feed to 5oz? Some babies are just hungrier than others.... At least he's thriving!

Our little man takes about 4oz every 3.5/4 hours but he screams after it as it starts to rise in his oesophagus and burn him. I've stopped breastfeeding completely now. We can't put him lying after a feed so he's on our arms alot. Poor little man is miserable at times.

Awh the poor little fella it must be heartbreaking seeing him in pain. Hopefully it doesn't last too much longer poor little mite.

I'm putting the 5oz in the bottle so will increase it when he starts taking the full 5. Just fed him there winded him and put him back down but he projectile vomitted while lying down. Surprised myself by not panicing, just jumped up and grabbed him up over my shoulder poor little man, had to change his clothes and blankets. I don't want to put him back down now he's sleeping on my chest.
    He has a little rash on his face since yesterday looks like its got a little worse, will bring him to pharmacy 2moro and if needs be to the doc. He doesn't have a temp so don't think it's anything too serious.

These little people certainly keep ya on your toes don't they :-) but I'm loving it. It's the best feeling in the world just looking at my little man.

Hey girls, our little one is a hungry one too, the difference is that I breastfeed, so he is at the boob all the time. But good news is that I figured out how to get good night sleep - I feed him lying down, and both of us have proper sleep now.
    Elly, my baby also had a rash on his cheeks, but it was just a newborn rush, they can get it between weeks 4 and 6 and it can also be on their chest, but it disappears by itself.
    yellow hen hope your little one feels better soon!
    We are planning a big outing today as well, shopping, as I don't fit into my pre pregnancy clothes. Will see if the little man will allow us to do it :-)

Hey cb hope you first outing went well yesterday and Lilbe hope baba behaved for your shopping trip and you got some nice stuff :-) I won't be going shopping until I'm back to my pre preg size. My mat jeans and leggings will do till then.

Got a phone calm from Coombe this morning, need to bring Sean back to have his heel prick test done again. Results came back and the hyperthyroidism result came back above normal. Got a little bit of a fright but don't think it's too serious and hopefully results will come back normal this time around. It's on my my mind but trying not to worry. He's a little out of sorts since yesterday only taking 2-3 oz of the bottle and only sleeping for about an hour between feeds. Then screaming his head of for the the bottle so feeding between 2-3hrs since yesterday. He was taking 4.5 oz and had gone to 3.5 hr's between feeds. I'll get the midwive to check him out today. Hopefully it's just a growth spurt maybe.

hey guys,
    Elly sorry you have to go back for that darn heel prick horrible test... hope it goes well, don't worry, your little man be fine...

Ended up taking 2 hours to get ready and get Bonnie out into the car... my sister been here for 1 week, over from the UK, so thank god!!
    Into the car ---- and ---- it wouldn't start!! LOL!!! after all that!!
    But a neighbour happened to swing by, a man two houses down who had jump leeds, so I got going again... phew! That would have been a big disappointment after all the work to get out, you know yourselves!!

Doctors - all fine - she did a thorough check, stripped Bonnie down, checked everthing and everything perfect. She's 6 pounds 10 ounces now, so grown loads already :-) happy days!

Lilbe, yes, breast feeding too. And love it. Love the lying down position too!!!! Great for baby to fall back asleep quickly... :-)

And ended up taking 40 mins to leave the doctors as had to feed her in the waiting room before we left, hee hee, first experience of breast feeding in public... was grand actually.

Also stopped in Lidle and did some shopping -- got to use the travel system for the first time, she looked dead cute in her pink car seat on the wheels... AH bless....

Was knackered by the time we got home! And so was Bonnie!! She ended up sleeping loads last night... YAY!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Hey cb hope you first outing went well yesterday and Lilbe hope baba behaved for your shopping trip and you got some nice stuff :-) I won't be going shopping until I'm back to my pre preg size. My mat jeans and leggings will do till then.

Got a phone calm from Coombe this morning, need to bring Sean back to have his heel prick test done again. Results came back and the hyperthyroidism result came back above normal. Got a little bit of a fright but don't think it's too serious and hopefully results will come back normal this time around. It's on my my mind but trying not to worry. He's a little out of sorts since yesterday only taking 2-3 oz of the bottle and only sleeping for about an hour between feeds. Then screaming his head of for the the bottle so feeding between 2-3hrs since yesterday. He was taking 4.5 oz and had gone to 3.5 hr's between feeds. I'll get the midwive to check him out today. Hopefully it's just a growth spurt maybe.
    Elly, hope the second time the test will come back normal, they might have just messed up something, when I was pregnant they made me do repeat my urine test 3 times, and it was fine in the end, so don't worry.
    CB, in relation to outings - every time we go for a walk I feel like fire brigade - everything should be ready and be done really fast!

Advertisement