Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BABY MONITOR PROBLEM

Options
  • 07-07-2012 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi, I am having a problem with baby monitors, I live in a house which has block internal walls & concrete flooring upstairs which I think is blocking the signal from the monitors. I bought a set of monitors with a range of 300m - more than adequate, but I find they do not work througout the house and loose signal in most rooms apart from the one immediately under baby's bedroom. I be grateful if anyone could recommend a set of monitors which may work in this situation. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Hi, I am having a problem with baby monitors, I live in a house which has block internal walls & concrete flooring upstairs which I think is blocking the signal from the monitors. I bought a set of monitors with a range of 300m - more than adequate, but I find they do not work througout the house and loose signal in most rooms apart from the one immediately under baby's bedroom. I be grateful if anyone could recommend a set of monitors which may work in this situation. Thanks.

What one are you using at present? There's no point in people recommending the one that's not working for you.

We have a timber frame house, and our BT one struggles to pick up the signal initially sometimes, but once it gets going it's grand. Would be very slow to recommend it in your situation due to this.

We also have a Foscam video monitor which works over the WiFi in the house. It's absolutely brilliant; video streams straight to our phones, so no need to get out of bed/go upstairs to check every noise. It can also work as a webcam for family who can't get to see the baby and you can take stills/photos and record videos too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My analogue only work in my house, we had to get digital dect ones for my mums house. I think the digitak one is a bt one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

If there is shielded insulation of the walls,or attic, it could block the signal. Any kind of aluminium or alu-metal material will block radio waves, as in mobiles,dect phones, baby monitors, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We also have a Foscam video monitor which works over the WiFi in the house. It's absolutely brilliant; video streams straight to our phones, so no need to get out of bed/go upstairs to check every noise. It can also work as a webcam for family who can't get to see the baby and you can take stills/photos and record videos too.

Off topic a bit, but that video monitor sounds a bit intrusive, no? I hope there is good security on it. I would be very freaked out by people watching my child in their bed and recording it.

Back on topic, bricks and concrete don't make the difference for radio... It's sheets of metal or meshes of metal. And as you can receive the signal directly beneath the room, i'd say you just have a weak monitor base station. Do ordinary radios fail to pick up rte 1 signal upstairs im your house? Does having the window open make any difference? If not, then it is just a weak base station. Can you borrow someone elses during the day and run a trst? We have used ours on hols in a castle with stone floors, and we got range though a few stone floors. Ours is an angelcare one.

Some times monitor basestations have two modes as well... They can run on battery or on mains. The mains is stronger I would guess as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The Foscam is only accessible on the local network unless you configure it for external access, and password protected if you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 inquisitive one

What one are you using at present? There's no point in people recommending the one that's not working for you
    Sorry never thought to mention which brand we were using, they are Tommee Tippee DECT Digital Monitors.
    We also have a Foscam video monitor which works over the WiFi in the house.

I had a look at this camera online & whilst it gets good reviews it sounds a little technical to set up & neither myself or my oh are very technical, I only use a basic phone & don't carry it with me all the time so this would prob not work for me but I appreciate the suggestion.
    If there is shielded insulation of the walls,or attic, it could block the signal. Any kind of aluminium or alu-metal material will block radio waves, as in mobiles,dect phones, baby monitors, etc.
    Our house is very heavily insulated including the floors upstairs which have kingspan alu insulation down on them too.
    Can you borrow someone elses during the day and run a trst? We have used ours on hols in a castle with stone floors, and we got range though a few stone floors. Ours is an angelcare one.
    Some times monitor basestations have two modes as well... They can run on battery or on mains. The mains is stronger I would guess as well.
    Unfortunately I don't have anyone that could borrow me monitors, althought I will try my facebook to see if I can find someone through there that can - has to be worth a try.
    I did try the monitor using the battery & mains power but it made no difference. Really need to get something organised as baby is newborn & I'm quite restricted in my movements without monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

God, thats terrible, your are using the one I was reccomending! What about the ones that plug into the electric socket? I've never used them but we had something like this in a place I worked, we used it as an intercom between floor and stockrooms. The walkie Talkies that the company provided wouldn't work but these did. Something like this:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3767254/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CNursery%7C14417537/c_2/3%7C18793869%7CBaby+monitors+and+safety+gates%7C14417612/c_3/4%7Ccat_14417612%7CBaby+monitors%7C14417613.htm

Advertisement