Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massimo's fresh fish and chips

Options
  • 07-07-2012 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey all,

I was in Tramore last week and while on the prom saw a chipper called Massimo's. There was a lovely smell out of there.

I'm cautious before eating and have always stuck to doolys but the smell really got me and there looked a fair crowd in there.

Anyone ever eat out of there? What's the food like and the prices?

Any feedback is welcomed! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 xperi

lovely food in there, prob best in the town dooleys is hit & miss, & most townies in tramore stick with dooleys out of fear of being seen buying chips anywhere else, personally i think dooleys is crap soggy chips

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Agreed, top grub!!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

There grub is lovely,all cooked as you order unlike dooleys stuff which could be sitting there a few hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

All Doolys have is the name and location. Very hit and miss the last few times I've been there(to both the one on the prom and up the hill). Massimo's is much better and its all cooked fresh. Tonys up past aib is also great.

Let me tell ye a story about Tony's:
    A few years back I went there to get a bit of grub and in the order was a 'burger with ketchup only' for the young fella.
    Brought the grub back home, all good until the young fella opened his burger only to find it was a burger-bun with just ketchup in it... no meat:eek::eek:
    So back up to Tony's I went to "raise" the issue with them. I was told that that was how they do 'burgers with ketchup only'. "If the young lad wanted that I would have given him 2 slices of toast and the ketchup bottle and let him go nuts" I told the assistant.
    So I explained calmly that I wanted a proper burger... Bun, meat & ketchup.... No problem? Until he wanted to charge me for it:mad::mad:

hmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Libby029

Have to agree that Massimo's are absolutely gorgeous really nice chips and chicken fillet burgers... I think when it comes to Dooley's that it is the non Tramore people that eat there, cause when i go by in the winter there is never anyone in the place. I have to say though my take away of preference is Tony's... gorgeous chips, kebabs and burgers... can't give my opinion on fish as I don't eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Okay Massimo's in Tramore seems to tick all the right boxes, but what about dungarvan, where is the best fish and chip shop, I drool over fresh fish and chips, hate this pre battered stuff and pre part cooked, a town the size of dungarvan must have a little shop tucked away that only locals would go to.
    Yes fry your own, in Kilkenny some rave about a new shop, no names, lovely decor, lousy fish, you know how fresh fish has that beautiful way of just breaking off as you put the fork into it, but the other stuff it is more of a fight.
    I am starving, bye

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Alright lads,

After looking at this thread I did a comparison between Massimos and Dooleys.

Went to Dooleys, asked for 2 reg burgers and a cheeseburger and a chip.

Fella went behind the counter to make the burgers and within 2 mins the burgers were ready and packed. How in the name of god? Pre cooked?

The chips were then taken out of the dump, precooked also. Cost me €10.10 for the lot.

The burgers were yuck, the chips were luke warm and both the burgers and the chips were literally dripping with grease.

Overall impression, not good.

Went down to massimos. Put the same order through, heard the chips go down just after my order was placed and the burgers put on.

Took around 10 minutes and my order was ready. The chips were cooked fresh and the burgers were well cooked and cooked thorough. The chips with a bit of salt and vingear were fantastic.

The overall price was €8.50 for the lot. Much cheaper and much nicer then dooleys.

The thing that caught my eye, something I look out for regularly was the guy in Massimos washed his hands after handling my money before he went near my food to pack it.

To be honest I would rather wait an hour and get lovely food then wait around 4 minutes and get pre cooked crap out of dooleys.

All in all, I prefer Massimos, much nicer food and cheaper also. Dooleys is a real hit and miss for me, their slogan "Fresh fish and chips" is very very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Went to Massimos for the first time there two weeks ago, only got chips and battered sausages but my God, they were the nicest battered sausages in the world, ever!!!! Not a bit greasy, lovely and crispy and a really tasty sausage ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

the owners of massimos are family of the past owners of tonys and used run tonys in tramore when they first opened up until the business was sold few years ago and always had top notch food!! they even gave cunninghams a run for there money when they first opened in tramore all them years ago! there a nice couple and never forgot there regulars in massimos that used give them custom back in there tony's days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 DeiseDan

Doolys is for the tourists. any local with taste eat from massimo's. highly recommend massimos before any other chipper in the town, none are dire, but can be very hit and miss, massimos do good food always, regardless of how busy or quiet they are!!

Somebody please put up the recipe for the battered sausages that the Beach Grill used to do.... I miss them.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

the owners of massimos are family of the past owners of tonys and used run tonys in tramore when they first opened up until the business was sold few years ago and always had top notch food!! they even gave cunninghams a run for there money when they first opened in tramore all them years ago! there a nice couple and never forgot there regulars in massimos that used give them custom back in there tony's days

100% agree. They are lovely people and unlike other places, they try buy all their supplies locally too for which I take my hat off to them for.

They are going to be doing pizza soon too, Massimo himself is a proper Italian himself so I reckon it will be proper pizza too, not like some of that other cardboard you get up the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

lee3155 wrote: »
    Alright lads,

After looking at this thread I did a comparison between Massimos and Dooleys.

Went to Dooleys, asked for 2 reg burgers and a cheeseburger and a chip.

Fella went behind the counter to make the burgers and within 2 mins the burgers were ready and packed. How in the name of god? Pre cooked?

The chips were then taken out of the dump, precooked also. Cost me €10.10 for the lot.

The burgers were yuck, the chips were luke warm and both the burgers and the chips were literally dripping with grease.

Overall impression, not good.

Went down to massimos. Put the same order through, heard the chips go down just after my order was placed and the burgers put on.

Took around 10 minutes and my order was ready. The chips were cooked fresh and the burgers were well cooked and cooked thorough. The chips with a bit of salt and vingear were fantastic.

The overall price was €8.50 for the lot. Much cheaper and much nicer then dooleys.

The thing that caught my eye, something I look out for regularly was the guy in Massimos washed his hands after handling my money before he went near my food to pack it.

To be honest I would rather wait an hour and get lovely food then wait around 4 minutes and get pre cooked crap out of dooleys.

All in all, I prefer Massimos, much nicer food and cheaper also. Dooleys is a real hit and miss for me, their slogan "Fresh fish and chips" is very very wrong.

Ok this is all very well and good and well done on the research, but how does it compare to tonys?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Okay Massimo's in Tramore seems to tick all the right boxes, but what about dungarvan, where is the best fish and chip shop, I drool over fresh fish and chips, hate this pre battered stuff and pre part cooked, a town the size of dungarvan must have a little shop tucked away that only locals would go to.
    Yes fry your own, in Kilkenny some rave about a new shop, no names, lovely decor, lousy fish, you know how fresh fish has that beautiful way of just breaking off as you put the fork into it, but the other stuff it is more of a fight.
    I am starving, bye

Hard to beat Genoas in the square IMO, not sure how there fish rates as iam not a fish man at all but afaik it is battered stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ChunkyNorris

sponge_bob wrote: »
    Ok this is all very well and good and well done on the research, but how does it compare to tonys?

No comparison, Tony's is rank on a good day. Did you ever lick your lips 10 minutes after having a doolys? Stink.
    Massimo's by a mile

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

Must agree Massimo's is far superior-The reason the queues are out the door at Dooleys is because they have a much faster turnaround-But like the other poster-I would rather wait a few minutes for the chips-
    The only thing that gets on my wick is you have to pay for the Tomato Ketchup-I think Doolys charge 30c for a sachet-whilst Massimos is 20c-But lads,seriously-give over with the extra for ketchup-and don't settle for the big bottle of Kandee either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Had my first ever Massimo's last week and have to agree with everything so far, it was great! The battered sausages were class, lovely crispy batter and not dripping in grease, nice size box of chips too. Ah jaysus, I'm starvin' now!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DeiseDan

Mugser wrote: »
    Somebody please put up the recipe for the battered sausages that the Beach Grill used to do.... I miss them.

Are you serious??? if you are, the basic format/recipe was something like.....
    purchase the cheapest possible sausages available, preferably with a meat content not exceeding 0.5%, open a bucket of premade batter & apply with a paint brush, deep fry in luke warm oil for approx 4 hours, remove & place into a bag, pour one spoon of cooking oil over to garnish & try not to laugh when you take the money.

In todays market there is no excuse for bad standards when it comes to food, the bad ones wont survive. hello..............
    peace!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'm sure you know this already but the people who run Massimo's used to be in Tony's. :)

I personally love Tony's tbh. Haven't been to Massimo's in years, kinda just got used to calling Tony's over the years on the phone then popping down and collecting it. Quicker and easier to park. Always loved Massimo's and I really like the couple running it. Must give it a go someday, been ages!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how about mc'carthys?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭deadman1972

Has anybody tried that chipper up Mary street in Dungarvan,its run by same crowd that used to run tony's chipper in Abbeyside? Tony's always had nice grun when they owned it but no now,i heard that the new place was very dear though?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

fryup wrote: »
    how about mc'carthys?

Been about a year id say since I had chips there but they still tasted very good! With it only being open during the summer, again, I stick with the same place I always went to.

McCarthy's always had a good name which helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Has anybody tried that chipper up Mary street in Dungarvan,its run by same crowd that used to run tony's chipper in Abbeyside? Tony's always had nice grun when they owned it but no now,i heard that the new place was very dear though?

That guy is Massimo's brother!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭deadman1972

Wellboy thats good to know,place up Mary st seems clean but i have never been in. I have never had a problem with Genoas and tbh if it was not clean every tom,dick and harry would be getting food poisoning.I did hear that the place in Mary st was a lot dearer overall which put me off right away,that said i must try the food just so i can report back.Tony's in Abbeyside when tony actually owned it was bar none the best chipper food and prices around.

Quick update guys:

He's now doing Pizza's!!!

Just had one and it was ahh---mazzing!

Nicest Pizza I've had in a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

Anyone remember when Tonys use to do their own crisps ?

lee3155 wrote: »
    Quick update guys:

He's now doing Pizza's!!!

Just had one and it was ahh---mazzing!

Nicest Pizza I've had in a long long time.

Gave it a go last night, gorgeous! Were they not the pizzas they used to cook when they owned Tonys?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Demonical

ye all have me hungry. Where in tramore is massimos?

• Advertisement

Demonical wrote: »
    ye all have me hungry. Where in tramore is massimos?

Building beside Strand Leisure on the prom. It has a red and black storefront!

Advertisement