Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clipper Race Greencastle

Options
  • 07-07-2012 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

A great send off to the Clipper Race from Greencastle today. And where were RTE??? Great to see the Foyle full of boats. Despite the rain there was a great summer festival atmosphere. Amazing seafood samples and cookery demonstrations, crafts and music. It's such a pity that our National Broadcaster chose to ignore Donegal once again. Seems the Volvo race grabbed all the attention.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

I havent got a clue about this clipper race thing but i thought (mistakenly?) that this was something to do with the city of culture thing in derry. There were thousands of people lining the quayside in derry today watching those boats on the foyle. Loads of stalls and a carinaval atomsphere, pity about the weather in derry, overcast and rain, strangley it was fine here in buncrana.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

muckish wrote: »
    It's such a pity that our National Broadcaster chose to ignore Donegal once again.

I hear they're going to get a foreign correspondent for Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

RTE didn't send a camera crew and reporter to Greencastle to report on what ever a 'clipper' race is...

You know they weren't in killybegs last weekend for the fish Ireland expo either!! Or a few weeks before that in Donegal town for the wee festival they had... Come to think of it; I don't believe that they have been in Ardara for any of the THIRTEEN festivals they have had over the last 12 months... they must be getting a real complex by now...Surely they need to appoint a correspondent for Ardara on its own - esp how it is recognised as the best village in Ireland to live in

Here's a link to a load of other festivals & events I haven't seen any mention of on RTE radio or television, perhaps you should contact them and mobilise a mass campaign of the forgotten festivals, and ask for parity of estem with the Volvo around the world yatch race... (all the news organisations who sent 300 journalist to cover that event should be forced to send someone to Greencastle around the bay clipper race next year) :D

Why we bother paying the Licence fee I don't know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Firblog wrote: »
    RTE didn't send a camera crew and reporter to Greencastle to report on what ever a 'clipper' race is...

You know they weren't in killybegs last weekend for the fish Ireland expo either!! Or a few weeks before that in Donegal town for the wee festival they had... Come to think of it; I don't believe that they have been in Ardara for any of the THIRTEEN festivals they have had over the last 12 months... they must be getting a real complex by now...Surely they need to appoint a correspondent for Ardara on its own - esp how it is recognised as the best village in Ireland to live in

Here's a link to a load of other festivals & events I haven't seen any mention of on RTE radio or television, perhaps you should contact them and mobilise a mass campaign of the forgotten festivals, and ask for parity of estem with the Volvo around the world yatch race... (all the news organisations who sent 300 journalist to cover that event should be forced to send someone to Greencastle around the bay clipper race next year) :D

Why we bother paying the Licence fee I don't know...

You do know that the clipper race is also an around the world race right (my sarcasm detector was going off reading your post though :p)? The boats are different and not as big as the volvo ocean race boats.It's not just a clipper race of the foyle. It has had a stop over in Derry for the last week, but the actual finish line and start line of the next leg so to speak was at the mouth of the Foyle near Greencastle.

That's the point being made here, lets face it a local festival is never going to get any national media coverage, but you'd think a global around the world clipper race would deserve some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

You do know that the clipper race is also an around the world race right (my sarcasm detector was going off reading your post though :p)? The boats are different and not as big as the volvo ocean race boats.It's not just a clipper race of the foyle. It has had a stop over in Derry for the last week, but the actual finish line and start line of the next leg so to speak was at the mouth of the Foyle near Greencastle.

That's the point being made here, lets face it a local festival is never going to get any national media coverage, but you'd think a global around the world clipper race would deserve some.

Nope didn't know that at all, I stand corrected; and miffed that I missed it myself :mad:

However instead of giving out about RTE, surely the organisers are responsible for lack of advertising/publicity? I live in Donegal and didn't hear a word about it myself... (not even a wee post on boards)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

Firblog wrote: »
    However instead of giving out about RTE, surely the organisers are responsible for lack of advertising/publicity? I live in Donegal and didn't hear a word about it myself... (not even a wee post on boards)

I agree with that. There wasn't much publicity south of the border - though there were signs around Letterkenny alright.

The main issue I believe is that it coincided with the finish of the Volvo race - the Volvo is a much larger event by far, very much an international event. The Clipper race, while being "Round the World" is really more localised to the participants' home cities, whenever the legs finish there.

RTE can't really go around to each local festival, but I guess there should have been some coverage or mention of this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

213023.JPG

Advertisement