Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smooth slow motion from high FPS movie

• 08-07-2012 12:07am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

With a source file at 120fps, what software and method do I use to create a smooth slow motion version?

And what software will produce good slow motion results using "frame blending" when the source file is 25 or 30fps?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Whats the source camera?

Most editing software will do this, you only get into the likes of frame blending when you want to slow down really slow.

For example with 120 fps footage you can slow it down 25fps which is 20% the original speed without needing to do anything special. If you want to slow it down further and keep it smooth you need to create frames. This is built into some software or you can use special software adons like Twixtor.

Twixtor is pretty much the best for slowing 25/30fps footage down. Final Cut Pro X has motion flow which is good as well.

Have you any editing software at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

yeah Twixtor is probably the one to use, I've used it a few times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Twixtor costs a fortune, the legal version anyway.

I've stretched out 120fps stuff off my go pro by about 500% with frame blending and it looks ok. I was filing airsoft guns and you could see the BB flying in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Regardless of price Twixtor is definitely the winner. There's no need for a plugin like twixtor to slow down 120fps footage, though.

Shot on a 7D at 60p http://vimeo.com/28885242 is a nice example of how amazing twixtor is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Regardless of price Twixtor is definitely the winner.
    No doubt, but from the point of view of getting a professional to do the work legally with legal software it could be an issue as they probably won't have that plug in. I had that plug in at one stage but I had a cracked version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

ScumLord wrote: »
    No doubt, but from the point of view of getting a professional to do the work legally with legal software it could be an issue as they probably won't have that plug in. I had that plug in at one stage but I had a cracked version.

Yeah the price is very high for the amount of use you would actually get out if it. Considering it's like 25% of the price of Adobe production premium which you would easily get 1000 times as much use out of. If it was less than 50$ it would be worth paying for it. They also don't have any educational pricing which is just shooting themselves in the foot because no university/whatever are going to spend 2k on licenses for a tiny addon which isn't very flexible.

If the OP wants to slow down gopro 120 fps footage I think the cineform gopro program has a feature that allows that and I'm sure it can't be that much worse than Twixtor

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

If the OP wants to slow down gopro 120 fps footage I think the cineform gopro program has a feature that allows that and I'm sure it can't be that much worse than Twixtor

He wants to slow 120fps but he also wants to slow 25/30fps hence his plugin question.

Gopros Cineform will conform the frame rate for you which is fine for 120 or 60fps but it wont create frames for you like Twixtor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 r3dr00m

You can try Twixtor or Kronos. Bare in mind Twixtor will cause whole lot of distortion if background is not uniform.

Advertisement