Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best/Worst Private Sector Service Experiences?

• 08-07-2012 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

I was in a restaurant tonight for a meal with my other half, and as we were starting our main course - the lightbulb in the fitting above our table blew - showering us and our dinner in glass :(

One member of staff hurried over to apologise, and after about ten minutes the manager came down, and was, frankly not bothered.
    He didnt offer to replace the meals/move us seats or ask if we were ok - Just that 'Sometimes these things happen'.

When I asked what he was going to do he said they would give us a voucher for money off or next visit.

Im absolutley raging at his complete lack of concern.

Needless to say we left without paying - after he tried to get us to pay for the starter and main!

Any one recieved bad service? Or really really good service? Or anyone work in the public sector with bad customer stories? Spill!!:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

So it was a public sector restaurant?

Was this 1980's USSR?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

you should have 'blown a fuse'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

You lost me with public sector part. Was it a staff canteen in a hospital or a museum or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

So you had a bad experience in a restaurant (private sector btw) and decided to turn it in to yet another pointless public sector bashing thread? Wow, fair play!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Seems the posters are taking a dim view to this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

OP enlighten us as to how the public sector are at fault here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

Handing in a jobbridge form.

"Come back Thursday to hatch Six. That's not my job."

I waited 45 minutes to be told that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Holy Sh!t.

Please gimme five till I find the chunks you guys just tore out of my thread.

MY mistake - It was just an ordinary resturant - Private sector then? Sheesh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I was in a restaurant tonight for a meal with my other half, and as we were starting our main course - the lightbulb in the fitting above our table blew - showering us and our dinner in glass :(

One member of staff hurried over to apologise, and after about ten minutes the manager came down, and was, frankly not bothered.
    He didnt offer to replace the meals/move us seats or ask if we were ok - Just that 'Sometimes these things happen'.

When I asked what he was going to do he said they would give us a voucher for money off or next visit.

Needless to say we left without paying - after he tried to get us to pay for the starter and main!

Any one recieved bad service? Or really really good service? Or anyone work in the public sector with bad customer stories? Spill!!:cool:

Fairytalegirl.... were these fairy lights that blew ?

Brilliant thread, OP by any chance are you blonde?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Dartz wrote: »
    Handing in a jobbridge form.

"Come back Thursday to hatch Six. That's not my job."

I waited 45 minutes to be told that.

Em.... see post 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Holy Sh!t.

Maybe the lightbulb was added to your meal as part of the Choke park Agreement.

Not Blonde, but then I refuse to be insulted by a comment from someone whos username references a player who is known for cheating his way to a win :rolleyes:

I am however, tired. Mistakes are made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

This thread should be about how you could possibly avoid going to prison for the nasty s**t that you did to the manager in retribution for his actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Holy Sh!t.

Do you actually know what what public sector or private sector means?
    Private sector is any business- restaurant, pub, shop etc.
    Public sector is any government job- nurses, firemen, politician etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Really can't understand why the nice posters here are in on a Saturday night.

humbert wrote: »
    Really can't understand why the nice posters here are in on a Saturday night.
    Washing my hare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Was it an IRA restaurant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

all I heard was durdle urdle urdle, situation...

whats this topic about???

-_- your IRA/Belfast accent jokes would be funny if I was, ye know, from Belfast/In the IRA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I wouldn't have been thick at the manager at all. After all, it's not like he purposely made the lightbulb explode. You got an apology from the staff, I wouldn't expect any more. **** happens, noone was hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

The manager didn't apologize because that would be admitting fault and leave things open for liable action.
    It's a sad world but that's a fact. We covered that ground when I worked in a shop before. Saying sorry and taking some responsibility can get you in court.

But after that fact it's bad form that he wasn't nicer. He should have been looking to be kind and placate you, which it seems he tried a little to do by offering you vouchers.

I don't know what has you going on about private/public sector stuff when you're talking about a restaurant but I suppose you maybe didn't know what those things were exactly gong by your OP. We learn from our mistakes, but we get abuse about them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Shryke wrote: »
    The manager didn't apologize because that would be admitting fault and leave things open for liable action.

What pencil pushing tool-bag came up with that philosophy?
    A simple apology will sort out 90% of problems and the other 10% will happen whether you apologise or not.
    Fault is determined by what actually happened.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Washing my hare
    Laver le Leveret

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

To chime in on your experience tonight op :)

If glass blew everywhere & If I was a manager I would move you to another table and say 50% off your meal or ... perhaps free meal or something in between. It would be all BS to save face. But would offer at least something on the night. not an 'ahh sure, next time" deal.

But while half of me agrees with the above ..... sadly the other half would be thinking "are they chancers?" too :( Its a sad fact of the current world we live in. For the record I don't mean your story. But I cant shake the feeling that if I was in a situation ... in this case manager of a restaurant. I would be skeptical of peoples complaints :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I don't get the private/public sector references :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The OP is not even from this country, what are they talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

So the manager expected you to finish your meal with broken glass in it? Seriously?
    If your gonna lie at least make it believable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Give me free dis and free dat.
    I want compo, it is di a bol icle. I am getting mui solicitor.

De government should make sure that light bulbs don't expire when I am having my chicken balls and chips. It's a DISGRACE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

But sometimes these things do just happen. It's not like he would have had any indication that the light bulb was about to blow. It doesn't entitle you to a free dinner and if you had already eaten the starter then you probably should have paid for that

So the manager expected you to finish your meal with broken glass in it? Seriously?

He didnt tell us to finish our meal - but he didnt offer a replacement. Pull your stripey socks outta your a*se.

To the other posters with a crappy attitude - in my opinion that was bad service. Im not an as*hole whos out to rip shreds of decent establisments. Im not even the type to complain usually but his couldnt care less attitude baffled me.

It prompted me to post wondering what other types of service people on boards had recieved good or bad - ( which no one has answered) not to have my post doubted/disected and people jumping down my throat.

Lovely bunch here on boards.

He didnt tell us to finish our meal - but he didnt offer a replacement. Pull your stripey socks outta your a*se.

To the other posters with a crappy attitude - in my opinion that was bad service. Im not an as*hole whos out to rip shreds of decent establisments. Im not even the type to complain usually but his couldnt care less attitude baffled me.

It prompted me to post wondering what other types of service people on boards had recieved good or bad - ( which no one has answered) not to have my post doubted/disected and people jumping down my throat.

Lovely bunch here on boards.
    You're not the type to complain yet most of your posts have been quite aggressive because people weren't falling over themselves to tell you how mean that manager was etc.
    Cop to fcuk on.
    And if you have an issue with the kind of replies you got in this forum then maybe you should try consumer issues the next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Did they replace the meals ye were eating at the time? Considering they were now full of glass and dust I would expect they would.
    Was the restaurant busy? were there other free tables to move ye too?
    If this were me I would be very annoyed as well.
    Your title might have got you off to a bad start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Senna wrote: »
    What pencil pushing tool-bag came up with that philosophy?
    A simple apology will sort out 90% of problems and the other 10% will happen whether you apologise or not.
    Fault is determined by what actually happened.

Probably the same pencil pushing tool-bag who read a case about how a restaurant got the asses sued off themselves due to someone innocently enough saying sorry.

You're right, it is a sad state of affairs, but every cafe/restaurant I've ever worked in has had this as a stated or unstated policy.
    The OP is not even from this country, what are they talking about?

:confused:

• Advertisement

You're not the type to complain yet most of your posts have been quite aggressive because people weren't falling over themselves to tell you how mean that manager was etc.
    Cop to fcuk on.
    And if you have an issue with the kind of replies you got in this forum then maybe you should try consumer issues the next time.

Aggressive? Not as 'aggressive' as you flat out calling me a liar.
    I havnt once asked or invited anyone to comment on the managers attitude. I have simply told the story, and reiterated why I was annoyed at the service provided. This thread was started out of curiousity as to what other service posters have recieved.

Cop to fcuk on.

Aggressive? Not as 'aggressive' as you flat out calling me a liar.
    I havnt once asked or invited anyone to comment on the managers attitude. I have simply told the story, and reiterated why I was annoyed at the service provided. This thread was started out of curiousity as to what other service posters have recieved.
    I called you a liar because in this day & age that story is more of a fairy tale than reality. Very apt username btw.
    Even the filthiest & most depressing restaurants would have offered you a replacement meal because they are afraid of getting sued or getting the food safety authority on their backs.
    Seriously it reads like something out of fawlty towers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Handbags at dawn easy now.

So you dont believe me, because surely you KNOW this sort of thing wont happen.

Then because of my username on an internet forum you decide that I really do live in a fairytale world, making up stories to post and try and leech sympathy off members.

If you knew my real name was Dee - then surely you must know 'D' must be my favourite letter of the alphabet :rolleyes:

Ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

I think they should sort it out in my bedroom with feather pillows and a bottle of baby oil :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

So it was a public sector restaurant?

Was this 1980's USSR?

It's rare that I laugh at a post on boards. Well done.:)

TheBody wrote: »

I think they should sort it out in my bedroom with feather pillows and a bottle of baby oil :pac:
    Ha! Just remove all lightbulbs:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Give it a rest girl ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Best: Apple in Holyhill, Cork

Worst: UPC Ireland, good products but pure useless when things go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

That is incredible. If anyone has experienced a shattered light bulb then you know that you could be findling splinters of glass for days after.

What he should have done is move you from the table, and not allow anyone else to eat there until a full clean up was done.

Your meal should have been replaced, a drink offered as an apology, not for the lightbuld exploding, but for the inconvenience.

You were right not to pay for the entire meal. You refused to pay because of the poor service you received, not because the bulb exploded.

hondasam wrote: »
    Give it a rest girl ffs.
    It was a joke.
    If the op did get treated like that then she should ring the food safety authority on the restaurant. To be fair they are great to follow up on complaints & ring you back with an update as to what happened they day they visited the premises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

I think the OP is just looking for other peoples' experiences... She's not asking what we would have done in a similar situation.

I once collected a fridge in a friend's car to avoid paying delivery fee.
    Fridge didn't work.
    Car gone, couldn't bring fridge back.
    Powercity would not collect fridge. Insisted I pay a €15 euro delivery fee.
    When I said that wasn't fair I was tutted at and told "You just don't want to pay the delivery fee" in a "you're not scheming me, you chancer" tone of voice.
    It was extremely frustrating!!!
    Eventually brought the fridge back myself and got a refund.
    Wish I'd kicked it in first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fupping Grasshole

I was in a restaurant tonight for a meal with my other half

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Worst service - UPC

Changed from UPC to Sky (too many service disruptions with UPC).

Rang to cancel, they said write in - fair enough.

Although I had appointment with Sky to install dish, I didn't want to write in too early (in case me or Sky had to cancel appointment - I didn't want to be without de oul telly).

Sky set up so I wrote to UPC. Rang them a few days to confirm receipt of letter. They had it. Grand - until I got a bill from UPC covering the period beyond the cancellation. Apparently their accounts section didn't get the letter until six weeks after and that's the date they use for cancellation :mad:

Have had other conversations with people who have not had a good experience with UPC. And didn't RTE/TV3 do an exposé on them?

Best experience - Aer Lingus. Flight was cancelled due to snow. Put up in hotel and rebooked for following day with minimum fuss. Unfortunately there was a further delay over a technical issue. When we finally got going everyone was given €100 voucher off another flight :D And the cabin crew are always sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I see the OP is from Derry, N.Ireland.
    Will this thread to develop into a battle between the "Derry, six counties" and the "Londonderry, Northern Ireland" groups?

• Advertisement
Advertisement