Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All is not well in Tuam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

O'Toolemap.png

According to the map here the road in question was always going to go, from day one, so why did this group not act then?

If safe passage through the car park is provided then surely this would pacify the uprising.

A deal could be struck that a percentage of car park could be kept free of charge for the people of Tuam.

Also most of the trees there were Leylandii which are fast growing and hardly a rare species.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Tinder wrote: »
    A deal could be struck that a percentage of car park could be kept free of charge for the people of Tuam.
    Do they actually do people for parking in there. I've never once paid for parking and if they ever tried to fine me for it I'd never go back to Supervalu again.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

No, no one has ever been fined for parking there as far as I know, although if you are parking there for the day I suggest you park your car far away from O'Toole's, but I think thats common sense.

I am sure most of the traders in Tuam, the chamber of commerce and business are delighted with the large car park, and won't be seen protesting on this issue.

Tinder wrote: »
    I am sure most of the traders in Tuam, the chamber of commerce and business are delighted with the large car park, and won't be seen protesting on this issue.
    It's good for people outside of town because there are few other places you can park without paying or getting a ticket. The parking situation in the rest of the town would put me off going to Tuam, there are one or two shops in Tuam that I go too because they're by far and away the best in the county even compared to Galway city.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

There's just so much tarmac. It looks so lifeless now. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,266 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

bagels wrote: »
    The application for planning permission for the large development has been changed three times at least so there's a multitude of maps out there in cyberspace.
    Even the plan/map for the Tuam Traffic Plan, which i examined today in the company of the relevant Council Officials, includes the Palace Road as an integral part of Tuam.
    I and my companions have spent more than a week engaged in exhaustive research and if our opinions/facts aren't acceptable to you then fair play.
    When in the near future an application for planning permission for the demolition of the Palace Road is finally brought into the public domain, will you then believe me?
    I agree 100%

Brilliant user name an all

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

gammygils wrote: »
    I agree 100%

Brilliant user name an all

your jills is wayguide to the moniker, some steam hah

Packets!!!

I see Tuam got it's access road, problem solved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

I saw this thread heading and I assumed it had something to do with savage assaults or such. 1800 people looking for a road to look the way it always looked apparently and people talking about a boycott. How many to demand that the streets of the town be made safe at any hour of the day or night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

LoYL wrote: »
    How many to demand that the streets of the town be made safe at any hour of the day or night?

Completley out of context. I would have thought the answer to that question is very clear.

I do share your sentiments though, when a young lad is attacked and seriously injured, everything else is instantly renderd irrelevant.

Hope the poor lad in this weekends assault pulls through, his family must be going through the hardest time.

We'd do well not to discuss the specifics of the assault, as we wouldn't want to prejudice any future court procdeedings.

Too often you hear about cases like these being dismissed because of not being able to have a fair trial.

Mr Keek wrote: »
    Completley out of context. I would have thought the answer to that question is very clear.

I do share your sentiments though, when a young lad is attacked and seriously injured, everything else is instantly renderd irrelevant.

Hope the poor lad that you are referring too pulls through, his family must be going through the hardest time.

We'd do well not to discuss the specifics of the assault, as we wouldn't want to prejudice any future court procdeedings.

Too often you hear about cases like these being dismissed because of not being able to have a fair trial.

I made no reference to any case. You did that. Far from being out of context it is precisely the context: a town dominated by those obsessed with having a road looking the way it always did instead of looking clearly at what the town has become.

Yeah! More Bad Press for our town.Like we needed that

Main News Headlines for 2 days now

My sympathies for the two families involved

I saw this thread heading and I assumed it had something to do with savage assaults or such. 1800 people looking for a road to look the way it always looked apparently and people talking about a boycott. How many to demand that the streets of the town be made safe at any hour of the day or night?
    I made no reference to any case. You did that. Far from being out of context it is precisely the context: a town dominated by those obsessed with having a road looking the way it always did instead of looking clearly at what the town has become.

Almost all of the locals who've run riot around Tuam in recent years are either locked up or have emigrated to evade imprisonment. I state this as fact because they're known to me. Most of the blackguards from the rural areas are still around but not for too much longer, court cases imminent. Fair play to the Gardai.

The person charged with the savage crime that took place last weekend happens to be a Dub that recently moved to Tuam.

The Joint Policing Committee for the Tuam area hasn't met in months. I know because I've submitted a motion more than two months ago calling for extra resources for the Gardai and I still await notification of a meeting.

Your comments would be better directed at the politicians and the Garda senior management personnel who sit on the Joint Policing Committee. That is the forum in which such matters are dealt with. If you think the townsfolk should take to the streets and protest against crime in Tuam then I ask you where such direct action has taken place in the past? Apart from the Provo-infiltrated Concerned Parents Against Drugs movement in Dublin 25 years ago I know of no other. People nowhere stick their necks out protesting against violent criminals, that's just the way of the world.

If you have information regarding criminal activity in Tuam then I strongly urge you to inform the Gardai. That may be far more useful than taking to the streets. Give the Gardai the information they need in order to convict scumbags as that's the only way law and order can prevail.

Those that are involved in the PRESERVE OUR RIGHT OF WAY, RESTORE OUR ROAD campaign are fighting against many breaches of the Planning Act, the Local Government Act, the SIPO regulations, Heritage and Environmental laws, and the Roads Act. Defamation laws prevent me from elaborating further but you can probably read between the lines yourself.

The victim of the savage assault, and his family, are well known to me and they're in my thoughts and prayers. Get well soon Shane.

You have to be a politician or a wannabe politician going by the long windedness. My comments are best directed to the people they were directed to already. Criminal prosecutions and convictions come after the event. It's a bit late then isn't it? Time for a proactive approach to these issues. I am sure you can read between the lines. BTW I dislike bagels intensely.

You have to be a politician or a wannabe politician going by the long windedness. My comments are best directed to the people they were directed to already. Criminal prosecutions and convictions come after the event. It's a bit late then isn't it? Time for a proactive approach to these issues. I am sure you can read between the lines. BTW I dislike bagels intensely.

I won't be conversing further with you

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

As someone who lives near Tuam, but not from the area I have to say when I last went to Supervalu i was disgusted by what has happened. The walkway, the area that is now a pretty much half full tarmac car park with big plasticy tunnels, trolley bays etc. was infact one of the few reasons I would ever go into the town, to walk along the river up to the park with the kids, get a bit of shopping around town etc.
    Jesus Tescos couldnt have done a better job uglifying a place that already (sorry Tuamers) hardly has that much going for it in the way of scenic areas.
    The carpark is ridiculous, half empty, souless.
    Your man otoole really will get no luck atall from what he has done to that area.. How anyone can turn the one small part of a town that has anything scenic about it, into the monstrosity that it has become and be happy with themselves is beyond me (oh yeah wait, the whole of ireland was at it a while back eh)... I was disgusted, and still am, wouldnt spend a penny in there... and the few people here attacking the people who are unhappy, I mean did any of you ever use the amenity that was there before the tarmac hell came along? It means alot in a small and frankly blighted town to have atleast one public area that is scenic where people want to bring their children for walk. I feel bad the land was ever taken up. The parking may have been difficult as key times(as it is everywhere) but to build a HUGE carpark that is never ever full to capacity is just plain arrogant.

Criminal matters in Tuam at night has nothing to do with this, though I have to say perhaps if some nice amenities were kept and developed for young people in the likes of Tuam maybe there would be a bit more for young people to aspire to rather than falling around drunk and getting into bother.

Whoever built that car park in Tuam should be prosecuted, planning or no planning. Whoever granted planning should be sacked and prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

I made no reference to any case.

You are correct, my apologies, I have ammended my origonal post to reflect tht.

My 'Do Not Discuss' comments were not specifically aimed at you, i should have been more clear about tht.... I wasn't having a crack at you with that remark. I have seen other threads where younger posters have replied to users and included suspicions/rumors etc.
    Far from being out of context it is precisely the context: a town dominated by those obsessed with having a road looking the way it always did instead of looking clearly at what the town has become.

You are posting in a thread that has been set up specifically set up for the sole use of discussing the road and issues concerning it...so yeah, out of context/off topic, what ever your want to call it.

I agree with everything else you say, when news about what happened at the weekend breaks, all other things are instantly rendered irrevelant. I think the whole town or anyone with a conscience would agree with you on that one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Mod Note:

LoYL, this thread was set up to discuss traffic and road access, you can't just burst in and redefine the topic.

If you can't be civil, don't bother posting in this forum again.

Good decision.

dharma200 wrote: »
    It means alot in a small and frankly blighted town to have atleast one public area that is scenic where people want to bring their children for walk.
    You mean like the pallas grounds across the road? Large green area with tennis courts a good walk, trees and park benches.

I don't think Tuam is the kip you make it out to be either. For the most part it's a nice enough town that now even has a proper car park so people from outside the town have somewhere to park and appreciate the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

ScumLord wrote: »
    You mean like the pallas grounds across the road? Large green area with tennis courts a good walk, trees and park benches.

I don't think Tuam is the kip you make it out to be either. For the most part it's a nice enough town that now even has a proper car park so people from outside the town have somewhere to park and appreciate the town.

Sure, most people visit rural towns in Ireland to view the lovely car parks half full of cars.... first thing on tripadviser under Tuam now id say.

I didnt say it was a kip.

The over sized car park is, and will be a kip for the foreseeable future.

Das Kitty wrote: »

Mod Note:

LoYL, this thread was set up to discuss traffic and road access, you can't just burst in and redefine the topic.

If you can't be civil, don't bother posting in this forum again.

Good decision.
    Could you explain how one "bursts in" simply by posting in a thread? I agree with you that by situating the thread in a broader context I have redefined it: I think that is an addition to the discussion. I fail to see how I have been uncivil. Robust certainly.

Could you explain how one "bursts in" simply by posting in a thread? I agree with you that by situating the thread in a broader context I have redefined it: I think that is an addition to the discussion. I fail to see how I have been uncivil. Robust certainly.

Mod Note.

LoYL, I am now going to point you in the direction of the forum rules:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056036586

Read them carefully, paying particular attention to numbers 3, 4 and 13

If you continue to drag the thread off topic, insult other posters or discuss moderation in thread I will infract you. If you wish to discuss any of this, do so by PM rather than on thread.

dharma200 wrote: »
    Sure, most people visit rural towns in Ireland to view the lovely car parks half full of cars.... first thing on tripadviser under Tuam now id say.
    Where are you going with that? I said people can now visit the town and have somewhere to park and you argue that people will only stay in the car park for a while and go home. Why do people bother with extreme nonsense rebuttals?

The view from the car park is fine, look across the road and see a lovely old building next to a brand new modern building surrounded by trees and greenery. The car park itself is neat and well finished. It's like you can't see the forest for the trees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

The business/local government clique stinks in Tuam and I wish you the best of luck in bringing those involved to justice.

Thank you to those who've expressed encouragement/support in this thread.

The situation at the moment is as follows:

To inform those not on Facebook, we have printed an information sheet explaining the situation in layman's terms and this will be distributed in the Tuam area starting next week.

Galway Co Co has advertised that it is about to Extinguish the public's Right of Way on the "Swimming Pool Road". The road is, and has always been, known as the "Palace Road". Anyway, the road by any name no longer exists.
    The public are entitled to submit objections to the extinguishing of the right of way. We've submitted several Objections already and we're now about to distribute to the public Letters Of Objection that only require their signature and address. Altogether we hope to have a few thousand Objections submitted before the deadline.

We have sent many written submissions to the County Cllrs regarding this matter but we've also now printed "Letters" addressed to County Councillors for the Public to sign and submit, calling on the Cllrs to vote against the Extinguishing of the Right Of Way. Again, we hope to have a thousand or so sent to each Cllr before the County Councillors vote on the Extinguishment issue.

We have contacted many Environmental organisations in the State, both statutory and voluntary, and our efforts in this regard are ongoing.

We have submitted several written Complaints to the Enforcement Officer of the Planning Department of Galway Co Co regarding the Unauthorised Development. It is his job to enforce the Planning Regulations. He should prevent any further work on the site, close off the unauthorised development (ie the car park) because it isn't covered by insurance (no planning permission you see), force Mr O'Toole to repair the damage and/or bring him to Court. It'll be interesting to see if the Enforcement Officer does his job.

As a result of our lobbying, Tuam Town Council is inviting the seven County Councillors in the Tuam Local Electoral Area and the relevant Officials from Galway County Council to a meeting next week in an attempt to resolve the matter. It is hoped that there will be a full attendance. Anything less reflects very badly on the absentee.

We have a Solicitor and a Planning Enforcement Consultant fighting on our behalf.

When the Schools resume we expect to have the nine School Principals, Boards of Management and Parents Councils lobby the County Council and the Cllrs in support of our cause.

We have additional plans that don't need to be implemented before mid-September so i'll leave those for now.

Again, thank you for the support folks.

We have a Solicitor and a Planning Enforcement Consultant fighting on our behalf.
    Are these being paid for that work? In my experience solicitors and consultants don't solve problems but tend to drag out these affairs for their own financial gain.

If you really want to speed things up get onto Joe Duffy, it's a sad state of affairs but our politicians are media whores and will happily ignore anything difficult until their name is shown in the bad light on RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kerryted

ScumLord wrote: »
    Are these being paid for that work? In my experience solicitors and consultants don't solve problems but tend to drag out these affairs for their own financial gain.

If you really want to speed things up get onto Joe Duffy, it's a sad state of affairs but our politicians are media whores and will happily ignore anything difficult until their name is shown in the bad light on RTE.

Talk to Joe 1850 715 815

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

So Joe O'toole received a warning letter yesterday.
    oToole.jpg

• Advertisement

Katunga wrote: »
    So Joe O'toole received a warning letter yesterday.

Hey, Katunga, can you provide a link to where you got that (if it's the county council site or whatever)?

Advertisement