Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All is not well in Tuam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

When I first saw what happened, “Big Yellow Taxi” by Joni Mitchell came to mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgMEPk6fvpg

It may have not been paradise but hey...

I may not like what happened, and I do believe O’Toole never had the intention of building what he had planning for, but he has provided a lot ofjobs in town and is not screwing residents on pricing. He also offers free parkingso people can shop downtown – although I suspect he owns the majority ofdowntown property and has a vested interest in helping them stay in business to keep the rent coming in.

O'Toole has good points and bad... as do us all.

What I don't like is that he stopped all viable competition (Dunnes &Tesco) coming into Tuam.

I'm curious... Why isn't "RGDATA" objecting to an unplanned development like "RGDATA" so vehemently objected to every attempt tobring competition to O'Toole’s????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

I dunno maybe it's because they really really like him

• Registered Users Posts: 17,266 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

I see ye're holding a Fund Raiser in The Rustic Vaults next Sunday 18th August.
    I will support. Best of Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

gammygils wrote: »
    I see ye're holding a Fund Raiser in The Rustic Vaults next Sunday 18th August.
    I will support. Best of Luck.

Thank you.
    All support welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Thanks for that Stella

This group [Restore our Palace Road] have spent 6 Days in the High Court last week seeking to right the wrongs that have been done to the Town. Justice John Hedigan has reserved his judgement and will deliver his verdict in a few weeks or so.

Well done the ordanary people of Tuam for taking on the developer [OT Investments, AKA, Joe and Helen O'Toole of Supervalu Tuam, and shame on the Galway County Council for sitting back and letting this happen.

[QUOTE=ScumLord;
    Keyboard warriors on Facebook, nothing is going to happen in the real world.

How wrong could you be ScumLord?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

How wrong could you be ScumLord?
    I'll be happy if I'm proved wrong. I still don't know what can be done to fix it. All the trees are gone, and all it will ever be now is a walkway through a reengineered carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The High Court judge has ruled in favour of the "Restore The Palace Road Group"!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

From Galway Bay FM:
    A controversial carpark in Tuam is to be closed following a High Court order.

A number of local people took a case against Joe O' Toole of OT Investments Limited over a split level carpark near the Palace grounds in the town.

The development did not have planning permission when it was constructed.

In the High Court today, Justice Hedigan ruled that the unauthorised use of the car park must be restrained.

However he said he doesn't want to inconvenience the public in Tuam during the Christmas season, so he put a stay on the closure until the end of the first week in January.

Justice Hedigan also noted that the "planning situation in the historic heart of Tuam may be described as chaotic."

The Judge said that Mr. O' Toole has "a pattern of constructing unauthorised developments and subsequently seeking retention."

The full judgement is here. Pretty damning, IMO.

Use of the car park will be halted in January.

I must be completely honest here, the car park has been so handy and the road in front of the school is really, really useful.
    The biggest issue I have is that it is not very clear where the walkways are and I hate going up there when the Gaelscoil kids are coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

Can we re-title this thread "All is beginning to get well again in Tuam"? :)

bagels wrote: »
    Check out the group Restore our Palace Road on Facebook.
    1800 people or thereabouts joined in 48 hours.

"This group has been set up with the aim of retaining the public right of way from Bishop Street down to the Palace bridge in Tuam. The group will seek the restoration of the Palace road so as safe passage can once again be guaranteed for school children and the general public when attempting to visit the Palace grounds and surrounding amenities.
    Galway Co.Council will vote next month on whether to "extinguish the public right of way over this ground" so we are asking you the people of Tuam to contact/lobby our local councillors with a clear instruction that you wish them to vote "NO" to extinguishing the public right of way and to re-instate the public access roadway to our Palace Grounds."

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/548026_3506637704254_480933502_n.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/522015_3505613638653_902870405_n.jpg

It appears Mr Joe O'Toole of Supervalu has pulled a fast one on the people of Tuam and its hinterland by taking possession of the public right of way in the photos above and building a car park on it.
    Apparently he didn't have planning permission either.

Looks like he has a fight on his hands now though.

Fair play to the local communities for standing up for their rights.

• Advertisement

The group will seek the restoration of the Palace road so as safe passage can once again be guaranteed for school children and the general public when attempting to visit the Palace grounds and surrounding amenities.
    What do they mean by that? Is the palace road the one that connects Bishops St. to the swimming pool? I don't really see how that could be made any safer for children. The chicane in it at the moment forces cars to stay at a very slow speed.

Do they plan on ripping up the car park altogether?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Will they pull down all his other illegal developments?

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Will they pull down all his other illegal developments?
    You'd assume they'll have to look into everything he's done now.

Justice at last!! Long live the Decent People of Tuam who fought for Justice and won!!

Put that in your Pipe.

http://www.galwaybayfm.ie/component/k2/item/3736-high-court-rules-to-close-controversial-tuam-carpark

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Justice at last!! Long live the Decent People of Tuam who fought for Justice and won!!

Put that in your Pipe.

http://www.galwaybayfm.ie/component/k2/item/3736-high-court-rules-to-close-controversial-tuam-carpark

Justice? Well, kinda. There has been a stay on the closure until January 17 as the matter went to the Supreme Court on Friday.
    There has been no order to restore the Palace Road. The only order that was made was to close down the car parks in the interest of safety.
    The fundamental issue has still not been addressed by the High Court and it is unclear now when this will happen. The judgement has raised more questions than answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

Hi folks. Just wondering if anyone knows what the other six planning breeches Mr. O'Toole has been involved in in Tuam. Quote from court document below.

He has been the subject of six enforcement or warning notices but has repeatedly been granted retention permission. The most recent retention permission was granted on 3rd October, 2013, in respect of much of the work involved in this application. This history demonstrates little regard for the planning process on the part of the respondent. It also reflects little credit on those charged with responsibility for the integrity of the planning process in Tuam. The planning situation in the historic heart of Tuam, as revealed in the evidence before the court in this application, may be described as chaotic.

Tinder wrote: »
    Hi folks. Just wondering if anyone knows what the other six planning breeches Mr. O'Toole has been involved in in Tuam. Quote from court document below.

He has been the subject of six enforcement or warning notices but has repeatedly been granted retention permission. The most recent retention permission was granted on 3rd October, 2013, in respect of much of the work involved in this application. This history demonstrates little regard for the planning process on the part of the respondent. It also reflects little credit on those charged with responsibility for the integrity of the planning process in Tuam. The planning situation in the historic heart of Tuam, as revealed in the evidence before the court in this application, may be described as chaotic.

In the past 17 years he's completed 8 developments all without planning permission. These include enlargement of carparks, renovation of his store, building onto the bishop's palace, etc. He's even had the brass neck to hang a huge plastic sign on the front of the bishop's palace which happens to be a listed protected building. It was removed shortly before the court case. It would be fair to assume that anything his hand has touched in those years was contrary to the planning laws of the land. His cronies in County Buildings and on the County Council have ensured he received 'retention' permission on every occasion. Those people were supposed to stand up for your rights, not turn a blind eye to his lawbreaking. Everyone of those scumbags should now be named and shamed.

Those car parks are now closed. Sealed off with parking cones and red & white tape from 9 o'clock this morning.
    Petitions instore for the reopening of the car parks.
    Needles to say we didn't sign

Which car parks are closed?

gammygils wrote: »
    Those car parks are now closed. Sealed off with parking cones and red & white tape from 9 o'clock this morning.
    Petitions instore for the reopening of the car parks.
    Needles to say we didn't sign

Well done for not signing.
    Some people have a terrible cheek, organising a petition in support of a law-breaker contrary to the Orders of both the High and Supreme Courts of this State.
    It just goes to show how much of a hold he still has over some people in our community.

• Advertisement

The new ones left and right of the Palace Road

Mars Bar wrote: »
    In accordance with the Rule of Court that was handed down by the High Court and further legitimised by the Supreme Court, all of the unauthorised car parks must be closed. The only parking areas that can remain open are:
    1. The former Council car park that fronts onto Bishop Street;
    2. The area in front of his store stretching from the Community Centre across to the rear of the Fallons Drapery shop;
    3. The area behind Murphy's Furniture Store (at the Shop St bridge) where Garveys Mill was located.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

Super Valu and The Court House

bagels wrote: »
    In accordance with the Rule of Court that was handed down by the High Court and further legitimised by the Supreme Court, all of the unauthorised car parks must be closed. The only parking areas that can remain open are:
    1. The former Council car park that fronts onto Bishop Street;
    2. The area in front of his store stretching from the Community Centre across to the rear of the Fallons Drapery shop;
    3. The area behind Murphy's Furniture Store (at the Shop St bridge) where Garveys Mill was located.

I've just been back from O'Tooles. Christ almighty, it's like a circus up there now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

I've just been back from O'Tooles. Christ almighty, it's like a circus up there now.

Truth. I was in Quinns having a laugh about it with Ja & Dec.

Its been like a circus up there for a long time, but now the clowns clothes have been removed, for all and sundry to see who the real clown is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

Great news, well done to all involved and looking forward to the restoration

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

So what happens now? Has he been ordered to restore the old road or will the car park remain as is (but closed)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Endaaaagh wrote: »
    So what happens now? Has he been ordered to restore the old road or will the car park remain as is (but closed)?
    I'm guessing this, and if he plays his cards right, the car park will be reopened for "a limited time", and the affair brushed under the carpet.

=-=

I note that the FB page is now a "closed group"...!

Advertisement