Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All is not well in Tuam

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

So why shop in his store?

The message will be heard alot quicker if money is at stake..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    So why shop in his store?
    It is still a local business that employs a lot of local people. It also sells a lot of Irish products. Surely no one actually wants to see the place closed?

I just think this is such a mess. Tuam now has had a fairly large amenity that did at least somewhat serve the town closed down, if the town can't find money from somewhere to dig it up and replant it again it will go derelict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

If it does it will be the of fault O'Toole and his cronies and nobody else's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

ScumLord wrote: »
    Tuam now has had a fairly large amenity that did at least somewhat serve the town closed down, if the town can't find money from somewhere to dig it up and replant it again it will go derelict.
    So illegal behaviour should be tolerated?

It is still a local business that employs a lot of local people. It also sells a lot of Irish products. Surely no one actually wants to see the place closed?

I just think this is such a mess. Tuam now has had a fairly large amenity that did at least somewhat serve the town closed down, if the town can't find money from somewhere to dig it up and replant it again it will go derelict.

Agree regarding jobs etc, but why should the town have to foot the bill to rectify someone's mess....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭galwayspur

Really bad form to print the names of the objectors on a big 'business as usual' sign at the front door.

Sure thet'll have RGDATA coming out next :D

serfboard wrote: »
    So illegal behaviour should be tolerated?
    Obviously that was my point. :rolleyes:
    LFC Murphy wrote: »
    Agree regarding jobs etc, but why should the town have to foot the bill to rectify someone's mess....
    What if he can legally find a way of saying he can't afford to pay? They might be able to get some money out of him but he may not be able to cover the entire cost. Although nobodies said what they want to put in there.

At the end of the day this should be a lesson to Tuam, well, for all us small towns. The people of the town had a chance to do something about this before it happened. They watched it happen and waited until it was too late to do something about it. As we can see now, the town had the ability to do something about it all along when they pulled together.

It's our own procrastination that allows these people to get away with whatever they want, I'm just as guilty and these kind of issues have been a big wake up call (we have our own in my town). Hopefully Tuam will keep the group that made this turn around very active and on the look out for any potential disasters in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

Although nobodies said what they want to put in there.
    Incorrect. More than 2,500 members of the Facebook group Restore Our Palace Road want the Palace Road restored as close as possible to its former glory.
    The people of the town had a chance to do something about this before it happened.
    Incorrect. Statutory procedures were not adhered to and the plan was shrouded in secrecy, thereby enabling the 'stroke' to be pulled under the radar.
    They watched it happen and waited until it was too late to do something about it.
    We watched it happen alright, conned into believing something entirely different was being constructed. We weren't aware we needed to do something about it until the project neared completion and then we realised we'd been conned. We immediately organised and began to oppose the'stroke'.
    As we can see now, the town had the ability to do something about it all along when they pulled together.
    We succeeded despite the fact that some Town Cllrs, many County Cllrs and big shots in County Buildings opposed us all the way. Its the function of these people to serve us, not fight us. So much for pulling together.
    It's our own procrastination that allows these people to get away with whatever they want, I'm just as guilty and these kind of issues have been a big wake up call (we have our own in my town).
    Its been a huge wake up call to the whole town. Its only now we realise how badly we've been shafted down through the years. Procrastination will result in this country being taken over by the elites and we've only ourselves to blame if that happens.
    Hopefully Tuam will keep the group that made this turn around very active and on the look out for any potential disasters in the town.
    Several groups and individuals are now very active in Tuam. Residents are on guard against further attempts to destroy Tuam.

I encourage everybody to get involved in the running of their communities, before they've no communities left.

bagels wrote: »
    Incorrect. More than 2,500 members of the Facebook group Restore Our Palace Road want the Palace Road restored as close as possible to its former glory.
    A road isn't going to fill that entire space though. Do you just want a road surrounded by the rubble of a ripped up car park?

We watched it happen alright, conned into believing something entirely different was being constructed.
    Workers on that project made complaints to the Tuam herald during the construction about what was happening in there, in particular the felling of ancient trees. They were completely ignored. But it seemed everyone had bought into the idea that what would replace those trees would be more important.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

the felling of ancient trees

They were beautiful, the shame of it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

I used to jog the park and my usual routine was to sit down by the bench nearest the big tree near the bridge. I would then kiss the tree and jog on and finish my run. I do miss it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

A right mess. Will the relief road have to close too? Wasn't it part if the deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

Cut and paste from Galway Bay FM website

Higher Planning Authority overturns permission for Tuam car park

GBFM News

May 20, 2014

Galway Bay FM News Desk

Galway Bay fm newsroom – A decision on a planning appeal, which has been the source of much controversy in the town of Tuam, has been made.

An Bord Pleanála has refused to grant planning permission to Joe O’ Toole for car parking and associated works and alterations to roads and footpaths at Townparks.

The appeal had been made by Leo Moran and Palace Fields Residents’ Association among others.

The County Council granted permission to Joe O’ Toole to retain the car park at Townparks close to his supermarket, last October.
    This decision was appealed by musician and singer, Leo Moran, Palace Fields Residents’ Association and other individuals.

The higher planning authority has decided to overturn the County Council’s grant of permission.

In making the decision to refuse permission for the Tuam car park, An Bord Pleanála states that the development to be retained, would result in the proliferation of car parking in that area, which is not justified.

There was a perfectly good parking lot there to service both his store and the local area before he destroyed a beautiful area of Tuam just to build a bigger parking lot...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

And now we've even less parking spaces than we had to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Mars Bar wrote: »

which is great.. supervalu does not need all those spaces. It was abhorrent what they did to that piece of land, illegally.... truly disgusted me. I drive a van and yes, it is a hanssle for me to park anywhere, but i still refused to park there.
    A few less parking spaces in the world.. so what... what was done to that area was nothing short of vandalism on a huge scale, to line the pockets of a businessman.

Delighted about this ruling, I have a bit of faith in planners now to hold vandals accountable.

There was an existing parking lot across the road that was more than sufficient before O'Toole started destroying the area.

In addition to restoring the road, I hope O'Toole has to put the original parking lot back in place.

Perhaps he should be arrested for vandalism or more??? He did destroy a beautiful area against the law...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

What I'm saying is he had enough, then he added more, now he has even less than he had to begin with! His greed went too far.

I'm glad to hear of the ruling but it can't stop there. Something has to be done with it.

It's dangerous and we have lazy idiots who park in illegal and dangerous places like along the face at the bend by the Gaelscoil.

What I'm saying is he had enough, then he added more, now he has even less than he had to begin with! His greed went too far.

I'm glad to hear of the ruling but it can't stop there. Something has to be done with it.

It's dangerous and we have lazy idiots who park in illegal and dangerous places like along the face at the bend by the Gaelscoil.

I sit corrected! Re-reading your post, after reading the above, clears that up!

He did have enough parking.

Advertisement