Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused sunday drink

Options
  • 08-07-2012 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭

So I was in pub which advertised all day Sunday cocktails for €5. So I waited for 12:00 on the 8/7 and was told it wasn't Sunday. That the all day Sunday cocktail where only available from Opening on Sunday at 8. So was I being pedantic or Sunday is Sunday ?

Can a mod correct the typo in the poll please . Thanks

Does Sunday start at 12:00 am or at the next opening 19 votes

Sunday is Sunday
    0% 0 votes
    Sunday in pub terms start at opening hour on Sundat
    100% 19 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

You were being a clown IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'm gonna go with.............pedantic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

An 'All Day Breakfast' is rarely served all day.

Just one of those things in life that you gotta accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Melion wrote: »
    You were being a clown IMO
    How so ? Was it not sunday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

finicky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

So I was in pub which advertised all day Sunday cocktails for €5. So I waited for 12:00 on the 8/7 and was told it wasn't Sunday. That the all day Sunday cocktail where only available from Opening on Sunday at 8. So was I being pedantic or Sunday , Sunday ?

Bar day starts when they open. The overrun from the night before doesn't count I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Can you get it on Sunday night after midnight? ie, when it is really Monday?

wyndham wrote: »
    Can you get it on Sunday night after midnight? ie, when it is really Monday?

I didn't ask. But if they want to offer their Sunday drink offer on a non Sunday that is up to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Only a Dub :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The next day kinda starts at 6am imo.

You know when people say 'it's Sunday actually' at 12:05am, with a smug smirk, I feel like punching them in the throat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Get out, you're barred!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

Faceeeeeepalm

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

So, when do people wish each other "Happy New Year!"?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Carbon Bootprint

Whatevr. They didn't want to serve the OP. Bars don't usually turn away business, so what should that tell us?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Sunday was Atari Jaguar, and I am disappoint that you didn't include it in the poll.

Whatevr. They didn't want to serve the OP. Bars don't usually turn away business, so what should that tell us?

They where more than happy to serve me. In fact they where very happy to give me a cocktail at €8 each just not at the "Sunday" rate

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Carbon Bootprint

The next day kinda starts at 6am imo.

You know when people say 'it's Sunday actually' at 12:05am, with a smug smirk, I feel like punching them in the throat.
    Hee hee. Where's the fookin "like" button? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I would expect better smart arsery from a little kid.
    The barman didn't slap you or anything? Sound guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Legally they should have served you at the discount advertised, the bar cannot decide when a day starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Sunday starts when I wake up again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

OP, imagine a world where every single public notice is written in verbose legal jargon, is that what you want??

For example, when people say the pubs don't open until 12:00 on a Sunday do you jump in and correct them?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

As a trading day it was still Saturday as per licence.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

GarIT wrote: »
    Legally they should have served you at the discount advertised, the bar cannot decide when a day starts.

The bar doesn't decide, the law does. Saturday in the pub ends at last orders, 12.30am on what is technically a Sunday. Sunday starts at 12pm the next day when the pub is allowed to trade again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Maybe you should have put a double emphasis on it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Lots of "SO..s" going on OP. WTF

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

So I was in pub which advertised all day Sunday cocktails for €5. So I waited for 12:00 on the 8/7 and was told it wasn't Sunday. That the all day Sunday cocktail where only available from Opening on Sunday at 8. So was I being pedantic or Sunday is Sunday ?

Can a mod correct the typo in the poll please . Thanks

Did you just hang in the corner until it was midnight? Pair of horn rimmed shades and a pocket full of change? Calander tearing a hole in your pocket, common sense akimbo?

The bar doesn't decide, the law does. Saturday in the pub ends at last orders, 12.30am on what is technically a Sunday. Sunday starts at 12pm the next day when the pub is allowed to trade again.

Thats interesting, its also in Irish law that no party can decide the length of a day, week, month ect and its supposed to be taken as is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

GarIT wrote: »

Thats interesting, its also in Irish law that no party can decide the length of a day, week, month ect and its supposed to be taken as is.

Well Gar, that's not interesting at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I know exactly how you feel OP. When I was younger I used to insist on waiting till it was dark to do my homework because my teacher had said "For homework tonight I want you to..."

But then, I was five at the time.

• Advertisement

Shryke wrote: »
    Well Gar, that's not interesting at all.

I think it is, i like boring complicated stuff.

Advertisement