Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused sunday drink

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

GarIT wrote: »
    Thats interesting, its also in Irish law that no party can decide the length of a day, week, month ect and its supposed to be taken as is.

You're missing my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You're missing my point.

Im not, I really don't know so I'll believe you, but its odd that there is a contradiction. The law says a named day can only ever be 12am to 12am, but the licences appear to say different. A day can be 24 hours but you can't name the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

You're missing my point.

I don't think he is. Let the pedantic games begin! As far as I'm concerned this is still Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 13,959 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The trading hours for a pub on saturday, as defined by Irish law, are up to 00.30 the following day, ie: Sunday (this is still considered saturday in liquor licensing terms), however those that stay open until 2.30, ie: late bars and nightclubs, get an extension to the licence for every night that they want to stay open and this applies to the day, not the following day. So, a pub that wants to stay open until 02.30 on a Sunday morning is getting an extension of the Saturday night licence, ergo it's a Saturday in liquor licensing terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

wyndham wrote: »
    Can you get it on Sunday night after midnight? ie, when it is really Monday?

No. That would be past last orders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

I didn't ask. But if they want to offer their Sunday drink offer on a non Sunday that is up to them

Sheldon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

So I was in pub which advertised all day Sunday cocktails for €5. So I waited for 12:00 on the 8/7 and was told it wasn't Sunday. That the all day Sunday cocktail where only available from Opening on Sunday at 8. So was I being pedantic or Sunday is Sunday ?

Can a mod correct the typo in the poll please . Thanks

Did you wait all day without a drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

It's people like the OP that made me hate working in a pub.
    This kind of shít happened all the time. Someone has a few drinks and thinks they'll impress everyone with thier smartarsedness (new word) and call you up on something. What they don't realise is that people in the pub are laughing out of embarrasment for them not with them, because they look like a drunken idiot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

But do some pubs/nightclubs not open at 5 mins past midnight on the saturday after good friday night ?? Seem to remember going to one back in the 90,s in the red cow Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Simple: you're being an annoyance. If the next day in a pub/club started at 00:00 on the dot you're not getting servred till 10/12 in the morning.

So choose: no cocktails or no alcohol at all.

• Advertisement

Flexicon wrote: »
    This kind of shít happened all the time. Someone has a few drinks and thinks they'll impress everyone with their smartarsedness (new word) and call you up on something. What they don't realise is that people in the pub are laughing out of embarrassment for them not with them, because they look like a drunken idiot

I find that a bit condescending coming from a barman,The majority of people in pubs/clubs at the hour of the night would be drunk and everyone whilst under the influence thinks there the best thing since sliced bread and as funny as a hyena,Its all part of the job to listen to people who when drunk talk a different language and watch them turn into something there normally not .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

You were being a drunken arsehole tbh. Did your mates think you were hilarious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I can almost see the smug look on the OP's face as he points this out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I hope the OP realises that the barman and his colleagues all had a laugh at him during the clean up. At least thats what would have happened when I worked in bars. People like him are prob the most annoying people to bar staff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ah one of those OP, I know ye well from my minimum wage barman days

Clocks go back
    "Oh this means an extra hour of drinking time. You must stay open, it's the law"

GTFO :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Imagine having to go out with this dick :eek:

realies wrote: »
    I find that a bit condescending coming from a barman,The majority of people in pubs/clubs at the hour of the night would be drunk and everyone whilst under the influence thinks there the best thing since sliced bread and as funny as a hyena,Its all part of the job to listen to people who when drunk talk a different language and watch them turn into something there normally not .
    Oh you find my POST a bit condescending do you. Try going to work every night and having people like the OP trying to quote the laws of sales/advertisment at you.
    If you don't think people who do things like that are díckheads it means you're one of them

Oh you find my POST a bit condescending do you. Try going to work every night and having people like the OP trying to quote the laws of sales/advertisement at you.
    If you don't think people who do things like that are díckheads it means you're one of them

Actually I had my own pub back in the 80,s, so i know all about working behind the bar and dealing with people who have to much drink on them,It comes with the job,But as its obvious your only new to the pub game you will get used to it. cheers.Then again with an attitude like yours I dont think you will last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I wonder if the OP was around in the early nineties when you could get free food in the nightclubs. Well not free as your ticket was still paying for it but it was there anyway

Was something to do with giving a "substantial meal" to get a late licence

Now gone :(
    Bring it back I say!

Actually I had my own pub back in the 80,s, so i know all about working behind the bar and dealing with people who have to much drink on them,It comes with the job,But as its obvious your only new to the pub game you will get used to it. cheers.Then again with an attitude like yours I dont think you will last.

Well you were in a bit of a different job compared to being a barman.

Why didn't you throw them out when they were too drunk? And please don't give me the "they were still buying" excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I wonder if the OP was around in the early nineties when you could get free food in the nightclubs. Well not free as your ticket was still paying for it but it was there anyway

Was something to do with giving a "substantial meal" to get a late licence

Now gone :(
    Bring it back I say!

Aww i remember that in charlies and tomangos :)

Well you were in a bit of a different job compared to being a barman.

Why didn't you throw them out when they were too drunk? And please don't give me the "they were still buying" excuse.

This thread is not about throwing people out when there drunk,Its about someone who was obvisoly taking the mick and being smart,when people have alcohol on them this tends to happen a lot.

How was in a different job ??,I was the barman and owner and sometimes bouncer and everything else that had to be done.As for throwing out people when there drunk ?? When does that ever happen ? Maybe in theory its suppose to,Back in the real world Unless there is trouble people get drunk everynight in bars/clubs and the Barmen are quite happy to keep serving them.

This thread is not about throwing people out when there drunk,Its about someone who was obvisoly taking the mick and being smart,when people have alcohol on them this tends to happen a lot.

How was in a different job ??,I was the barman and owner and sometimes bouncer and everything else that had to be done.As for throwing out people when there drunk ?? When does that ever happen ? Maybe in theory its suppose to,Unless there is trouble people get drunk everynight in bars/clubs and the Barmen are quite happy to keep serving them.

Well you were made the connection that you should be used to dealing with drunken idiots (fine, you should be) but since you actually owned the pub surely you'd want to throw people out if they were too drunk and causing trouble. It's not about if someone else is fine serving a pint to the man that can barely ask for one.

It's about why you think it's expected for other barmen to have to deal with drunken idiots.

But yeah, back to the real world where publicans serve drunken idiots and then tell other people to deal with it.

Felexicon wrote: »
    This kind of shít happened all the time. Someone has a few drinks and thinks they'll impress everyone with thier smartarsedness (new word) and call you up on something. What they don't realise is that people in the pub are laughing out of embarrasment for them not with them, because they look like a drunken idiot

I'll put my original post there for you to read again.
    I no longer work as a barman, not because of people like the OP, I just found the hours horrible.
    Also, who are you to tell me what I should and shouldn't find annoying, you also said you found me to be condesending and then replied with "But as its obvious your only new to the pub game you will get used to it. cheers"

Hello Pot, this is kettle, you're black

Well you were made the connection that you should be used to dealing with drunken idiots (fine, you should be) but since you actually owned the pub surely you'd want to throw people out if they were too drunk and causing trouble. It's not about if someone else is fine serving a pint to the man that can barely ask for one.

It's about why you think it's expected for other barmen to have to deal with drunken idiots.

But yeah, back to the real world where publicans serve drunken idiots and then tell other people to deal with it.

The op asked a ridiculous question,Listning to ridiculous questions and conversations are all part & parcel of working behind a bar/club,

I find a lot of irony in that sentence when its the barmen in the first place who have served them most of the night,So there nice people when they come in,The barmen serve them alcohol all night and now there drunken idiots.

I'll put my original post there for you to read again.
    I no longer work as a barman, not because of people like the OP, I just found the hours horrible.
    Also, who are you to tell me what I should and shouldn't find annoying, you also said you found me to be condescending and then replied with "But as its obvious your only new to the pub game you will get used to it. cheers"

Hello Pot, this is kettle, you're black

Good for you that you got out of the trade as its not just the hours that are horrible you need lots of peoples skills to,hope you enjoy what your doing now.

The op asked a ridiculous question,Listning to ridiculous questions and conversations are all part & parcel of working behind a bar/club,

I find a lot of irony in that sentence when its the barmen in the first place who have served them most of the night,So there nice people when they come in,The barmen serve them alcohol all night and now there drunken idiots.

That's right, they're drunken idiots. People can get drunk. People get too drunk (because they're being served more and more) they become drunken idiots.

It's not part of the job. Plenty of pubs I know aren't the type to sit down with a pint in one hand and get to tell the barman your latest idiotic idea.

Regardless of if they're asking stupid questions or causing fights, if they weren't overly drunk, they wouldn't be in the state to do those things (I hope unless they're complete idiots naturally) and the barmen are the ones that should know when someone is legless and needs less drink and not more.

Sure you as an owner have refused to serve people right?

Good for you that you got out of the trade as its not just the hours that are horrible you need lots of peoples skills to,hope you enjoy what your doing now.
    I do enjoy what I'm doing now actually, and I need much more people skills to succeed than I did as a barman.
    Not sure why you're taking this so personally btw. It's just my personal opinion and I never said it was right or wrong.
    I never had a problem listening to the drunk shíte talkers, it was just the lads giving it the big Iam that used to piss me off.
    Maybe your so annoyed because that's how you are when you drink.

I do enjoy what I'm doing now actually, and I need much more people skills to succeed than I did as a barman.
    Not sure why you're taking this so personally btw. It's just my personal opinion and I never said it was right or wrong.
    I never had a problem listening to the drunk shíte talkers, it was just the lads giving it the big I Am that used to piss me off.
    Maybe your so annoyed because that's how you are when you drink.

I am not taking the original op personnel at all,but when you go and then call me a dickhead well that's personnel,BTW I don't drink.

• Advertisement

I am not taking the original op personnel at all,but when you go and then call me a dickhead well that's personnel,BTW I don't drink.
    Tbf I never called you a díckhead. I did say if you didn't think those people were díkheads it means you're on of them(i.e a smartarse). Now if that offends you after so many years in the pub trade I think you were in the wrong line of business

Advertisement