Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2012 basketball roster

Options
  • 08-07-2012 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭

Ok, I was on the London2012 website looknig for the roster. It appears to be there but I cannot access it.
    If someone has the roster for the preliminary round can they post it up here.
    It might also help if someone knows what channel the games will be on and the times!!!
    regards,
    Will

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

The schedule from ESPN.com can be found here

There are gaps because it looks like qualifying is still going on, with a tournament this weekend in Venezuela. But I think it's finished tonight, so the schedule should be complete tomorrow.

The US Roster was announced yesterday:
    PG: Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Russell Westbrook
    SG: James Harden, Kobe Bryant
    SF: Carmelo Anthony, Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Andre Iguodala
    PF: Kevin Love, Blake Griffin
    C: Tyson Chandler

Looks pretty good even with guys like Rose & Howard not playing.

The US are 1/6 to win the tournament, with Spain second favourites at 5/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Article here which lists every non-Team USA player with NBA experience playing in the London 2012 games:

http://www.athlonsports.com/nba/nba-olympians-not-team-usa

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭slick89

Great Britain v USA is on BBC 3 at 7 for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Fun game so far between GB and USA, plenty of nice highlight plays and dunks.

Score is 33-20 to the USA after 1, they scored 10 in a row right at the end of the quarter.

Main difference is the athleticism. GB are finding it very tough to even get out of their half of the court as USA are pressuring everything, they're much fitter, faster and stronger and have got lots of pretty easy turnovers because of this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Right lads. USA Spain tonight at half 9. The best two teams in the tournament. Spain poses big problems in terms of big men with the Gasol brothers and Ibaka.

Stream here : http://www.coolsport.tv/stream2.php

• Advertisement

Good game, played pretty competitively. Deadly to see the best NBA players properly playing together (not that rubbish they play at the all-star game). They don't always click, but on the occasions when they do, it's breath-taking.

It is possible to beat them though. Pau Gasol & Ibaka gave them problems, and they had Marc Gasol was sitting out. With only 5 fouls allowed, Chandler got into foul trouble early, and ended up fouling out. Will need to shoot well from 3 though to win, which Spain didn't do tonight.

Hearing good things about Jonas Valanciunas, who will be with the Raptors next season. Will be worth looking out for when Lithuania play.

Jonas Valanciunas bangs off-the-glass alley-oop home during Lithuania Olympic tune-up (VIDEO)

padraig_f wrote: »
    Hearing good things about Jonas Valanciunas, who will be with the Raptors next season. Will be worth looking out for when Lithuania play.

Jonas Valanciunas bangs off-the-glass alley-oop home during Lithuania Olympic tune-up (VIDEO)

Yup Jonas looks like he's gonna be a stud in Toronto.

Its actually kinda sad watching all these guys come up. Jonas is 5 days older then me. He's the best player is country has seen. Picked no. 5 overall in the NBA draft, playing in the olympics. Meanwhile I'm struggling to make my local club team :p

The Timberwolves will be thrilled with their new Russian duo. Andrei Kirelenko scored 35 points and their new guard Alexey Schved scored 16 points and had 13 assists too.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

rachael vanderwal had 9 points and 3 rebounds in Team GB in their first game!!

• Advertisement

stuba wrote: »
    rachael vanderwal had 9 points and 3 rebounds in Team GB in their first game!!

? whats the significance of this ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

The Timberwolves will be thrilled with their new Russian duo. Andrei Kirelenko scored 35 points and their new guard Alexey Schved scored 16 points and had 13 assists too.

Kirilenko has been a favorite of mine since he was a rookie in Utah. One of the most underrated players in the game (even if he's slipped a bit)
    Yup Jonas looks like he's gonna be a stud in Toronto.

Its actually kinda sad watching all these guys come up. Jonas is 5 days older then me. He's the best player is country has seen. Picked no. 5 overall in the NBA draft, playing in the olympics. Meanwhile I'm struggling to make my local club team :p

He didn't look to good against Luis Scola the other day. Although thats a baptism by fire really. I hope he's not going to be the next Darko Milicic :/
    The schedule from ESPN.com can be found here

There are gaps because it looks like qualifying is still going on, with a tournament this weekend in Venezuela. But I think it's finished tonight, so the schedule should be complete tomorrow.

The US Roster was announced yesterday:
    PG: Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Russell Westbrook
    SG: James Harden, Kobe Bryant
    SF: Carmelo Anthony, Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Andre Iguodala
    PF: Kevin Love, Blake Griffin
    C: Tyson Chandler

Looks pretty good even with guys like Rose & Howard not playing.

The US are 1/6 to win the tournament, with Spain second favourites at 5/1.

I really don't understand how they pick such an unbalanced team every year. I mean one centre? What about Andrew Bynum? Brook Lopez? Amare?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

She plays for UL, thought people that follow Irish basketball may have been interested...

stuba wrote: »
    She plays for UL, thought people that follow Irish basketball may have been interested...

oh cool ! I just didn't know who she was and thought it was a bit random ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Shame on you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Watched The Cazech Rep v Croatia Women's game last night. It was interesting :D

Antonija Misura is worth a google

American Bleacher Report proclaimed her to be the most beautiful female competitive at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. She was featured in Muze Magazine in their "Muze Magazine Collection of the Hottest 2012 Olympic Athletes".
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&cp=15&gs_id=2&xhr=t&q=antonija+mi%C5%A1ura&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=1920&bih=832&wrapid=tljp134389488820400&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=ajUaUN_yCYeLhQfLtIH4Aw

Watched USA-Tunisia on an NBC stream. Obviously missing out by not watching RTE, the commentator sounds hilarious:

Timmy McCarthy’s amazing basketball commentary for USA vs Tunisia

Schved (one of minnys new signings) just hit a big clutch 3 with Russia down by 3, him and Andrei really look like good pickups

The PA guy in the stadium is such a pain in the ass though !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Watched USA-Tunisia on an NBC stream. Obviously missing out by not watching RTE, the commentator sounds hilarious:

Timmy McCarthy’s amazing basketball commentary for USA vs Tunisia

Timmy is a legend. Eurosport showing USA-Nigeria this evening afaik.

Timmy is a legend. Eurosport showing USA-Nigeria this evening afaik.

He's caught the attention of Grantland:
    This Irish TV Announcer Needs to Start Calling NBA Games Immediately

• Advertisement

USA scrape past Lithuania, 99-94.

Paully D wrote: »
    USA scrape past Lithuania, 99-94.

Was that on already today Paully?
    Raging I missed it.
    How did Lithuania play against them defensively? Zone or man?

killwill wrote: »
    Was that on already today Paully?
    Raging I missed it.
    How did Lithuania play against them defensively? Zone or man?

I didn't actually see the game mate, just the scoreline. Here's a good summary of the game though, with updates every few minutes so you can get a good picture of how it went.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/04/usa-lithuania-olympic-basketball-live1

On another note, did anyone see LeBron's flop against Nigeria the other night?

Saw the majority of it. Lituania were just not giving up like USA's previous opponents. In fact were it not for some silly turnovers they could have caused a massive upset. Lebron stepped up though and it seemed like the US always had an emergency gear if they fell behind.

Russia beat Spain earlier and continue to look very impressive. They'll avoid USA until the final if they reach it.

USA v Argentina today right?
    Is it on at 22:15 again?

killwill wrote: »
    USA v Argentina today right?
    Is it on at 22:15 again?

yup

yup

Great. I will be home to watch it. I can see a tight game here again. Ginobli and Scola will obviously be key for Argentina. That little PG looked impressive at times in the last game too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Librium

LeBron and Kobe are going to show their worth tonight, they will prove the Lithuania respite was just a blip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lorweld

What's the competition format after tonight does anyone know?

EDIT ignore me found it

http://london2012.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/12/olym/event-guide/p/competition_format.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Tomas_S

Lithuania-Russia!!! Please guys, play the same way you played USA!!!!! Chance to win then ;) and yes I am lithuanian!!!:D

Advertisement