Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remember a Time when...

• 08-07-2012 2:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

We could all sleep like average people?

Speaking as an ocasional Insomniac here.

During Uni time/ Real Summers (90s) I just cease to need sleep or even feel sleepy.

Now I wake up tired, be exhausted at 4pm and stay up all night.

Have you ever had normal sleep patterns? Did anything trigger/throw your bad sleeping pattern?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I started staying up late during summers off school when I was a young teenager, I'd stay up late reading books or watching the awesome shows Sky1 used to have on after midnight - but come school time I was back to normal (i.e. it was a conscious choice to stay up late).

Went on heavy duty medication when I was 18 and haven't been able to maintain a normal sleeping pattern since, that's included years of working 9-5 - my record so far is two weeks of work in which I had 22 hours total sleep over 14 days. That was seriously bloody mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

You couldve died.

They say you'll die from lack of sleep before lack of food/water.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I am generally very sleep deprived!
    I have always gone to bed late. Ever since I was a small child it was hard to get me to sleep before 10-11pm. My mother used to be driven demented trying to get me to go to bed. I'd often just stay up and finally fall asleep in the sitting room, where I would then be spirited away to bed.
    From the age of 12 it was generally around midnight when I slept. Now 1-2am is the earliest I sleep, as a rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

You couldve died.

I also could have died from trying to negotiate a 90min commute over two buses including walking through rush hour city centre traffic. I was a zombie in a constant fugue. At one stage I was having 10 cups of coffee a day in work to try make it through the day, which only made my attempts at sleep even harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

I'm very much like Posy it seems. I used to regularly go into work at 8am with only 4 hours sleep. Could maintain that all week but then sleep at the weekends.

• Advertisement

jammstarr wrote: »
    I'm very much like Posy it seems. I used to regularly go into work at 8am with only 4 hours sleep. Could maintain that all week but then sleep at the weekends.
    Some people who have good, regulated sleep patterns find they wake up at weekends the same time their alarm goes off during the week, whereas I used to regularly not wake up until 2-3pm on weekends. I'd be comatose after surviving all week on so little sleep.
    It's amazing how slow lack of sleep makes your responses. Everything is just that bit fuzzier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

If I get up before 2pm that's an early rising in my books :D

I could be dropping off to sleep at 7-8pm, but once it gets closer to midnight I'm wide awake! :rolleyes:
    I should work nights.. maybe I'll ask Wolfie if there are any jobs going at his place. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Real Summers (90s)

Ah the 90's *reminisces*

Ah the 90's *reminisces*
    Ah, the golden summer of '95. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Posy wrote: »

that was great summer,piping hot sun and running around like a lunatic with my friends :)

Posy wrote: »

that was great summer,piping hot sun and running around like a lunatic with my friends :)
    Exact same summer as me so. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

I love the way you can lay in bed all night all energized and alert then get up and drink a strong coffee and go to work only to fall asleep on your desk after 20 minutes. I once tried to stay awake while my boss was telling me exactly how interesting it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Nah, you'll die after around 72 hours without water (your cells lose their water content and begin to die on a massive scale, regeneration or replacement cannot happen under those conditions), and around a week without food.

Summers are a break from college hours, and I take advantage of that fact by sleeping until 2pm, staying awake until 4am+. College means waking at 7:30am, and sleeping at 12am, due to a tough course and lots of hours of lectures.

I can remember spending my summer holidays here at night, in the Noc forum around 3 years ago. Those were fun times, version 1.0 of The Lair was barely 15k posts in, and the flamey flancer ball was the bane of our existence :)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Cargin

Worked night shifts for two years. Now, even though I have a normal job and lifestyle, I sometimes lapse back into being Nocturnal/Insomniac without even trying. Being awake at 1am is suddenly being awake at 5am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

For as long as I can remember I spend what should be my time fast asleep trying to go to sleep just lying awake pointlessly, and then yearning to be asleep right at the moment that it's time to wake up, it's horrible. :( When it's time to wake up is the exact ideal time that I'm just at the exact right spot of nodding off to sleep yet the alarm goes off and it's time to get up then! But it feels like my head has just hit the pillow. I would have such a blissful lovely sleep if I somehow could sleep when it's time to get up even though I'm aware that makes zero sense! :o:D I'm in the right state of un-conscious-ness lol when it's time to get out of the fricking bed! It sucks! :/ Going to bed "on-the-double" a few hours earlier to try reach that state I need to be in earlier in the night just doesn't work! It just would leave me totally comatose and I'd be frantic in case I would sleep through my alarm and/or I couldn't afford to miss any morning appointments. Plus doing that always brings something akin to a sober hangover lol which isn't at all pleasant to have!! And it's not really viable to do anyway that I don't think, as it kinda puts yer life outta kilter.

Did used to think it might be something got to do with "growing pains" from youth but I don't know.

It didn't bring me any problems going out to work. Still had to get up as normal and go to work. Even from when I was really small when I kinda got to grips to it, I always jumped out of the bed as soon as my alarm went off giving everyone in the house a heart-attack thinking there was a burglar in the house or something wondering why I was so active from the get-go at that early hour of the morning rather than clinging to the duvet whinging that I didn't want to get up like any kid would, but I kind-of had to be like that! :/

Advertisement