If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any decent TV recommendations

Options
  • 08-07-2012 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭

Right ....I'm not a techie but want to get a decent TV approx 40inch and can only find conflicting information out there in the wild world of the interwebs.

Budget is cheap as possible - but if a high spec model is available at the right price...money can be found ! (not planning on upgrading for a few years)

To be honest - would love all the bells and whistles but... not sure if we would need them ! .... we only use the TV to watch soaps, movies (on tv channels or DVD), we dont know much about HDMI's or co-ax etc etc.

we have laptops so internet on the TV seems to be a waste - who religiously watches you-tube ??? no-one that I know, cant see the point of browsing the internet on the tv when phone/laptop can do the same.

as regards 3D or not 3D ..... my preference would be to have 3D - just because we may at some point in the future watch a movie in 3D and could enjoy it properly in the comfort of our own home.... herself is not pushed on TV - the logic behind is that if I'm watching a movie in 3D and she's in the kitchen making something .... she cant enjoy the movie or even watch bits...thats her arguement.

we would assume full HD would also be the way to go - we currently have a 28" CRT tv, our signal is free to air satellite so any advice you can offer there would also be appreciated (neither of us can justify paying a subscription to sky/ntl)

Also one thing we were looking at was having it mounted on the wall with a swivel mount (so tv can be turned sideways when not is use ...or is this a bad idea ?)

the room is not very big which is why we think 40" (ish) should be enough....we dont want the tv to be the main focal point in the room (well !!...she doesn't ....I'm not too pushed)

Also ... and I know this is fairly broad but ....LCD/LED/Plasma .... which is best (I've read that plasma is perfect for 3D and only on the larger screens... with plasma's starting 42" upwards - but have plasma's evolved enough over the years ? ...the internet still has loads of information about dead pixels, burned areas of the screen and ghost imagery with some plasmas).

Is there anything else I should look out for ? (suppose that question is also for your customers as well as the staff)

Thanks ...Super thanks to anyone who is able to help in my quest to get a better tv....and apologies for the long post !

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

PCPhoto wrote: »
    Right ....I'm not a techie but want to get a decent TV approx 40inch and can only find conflicting information out there in the wild world of the interwebs.

Budget is cheap as possible - but if a high spec model is available at the right price...money can be found ! (not planning on upgrading for a few years)

To be honest - would love all the bells and whistles but... not sure if we would need them ! .... we only use the TV to watch soaps, movies (on tv channels or DVD), we dont know much about HDMI's or co-ax etc etc.

we have laptops so internet on the TV seems to be a waste - who religiously watches you-tube ??? no-one that I know, cant see the point of browsing the internet on the tv when phone/laptop can do the same.

as regards 3D or not 3D ..... my preference would be to have 3D - just because we may at some point in the future watch a movie in 3D and could enjoy it properly in the comfort of our own home.... herself is not pushed on TV - the logic behind is that if I'm watching a movie in 3D and she's in the kitchen making something .... she cant enjoy the movie or even watch bits...thats her arguement.

we would assume full HD would also be the way to go - we currently have a 28" CRT tv, our signal is free to air satellite so any advice you can offer there would also be appreciated (neither of us can justify paying a subscription to sky/ntl)

Also one thing we were looking at was having it mounted on the wall with a swivel mount (so tv can be turned sideways when not is use ...or is this a bad idea ?)

the room is not very big which is why we think 40" (ish) should be enough....we dont want the tv to be the main focal point in the room (well !!...she doesn't ....I'm not too pushed)

Also ... and I know this is fairly broad but ....LCD/LED/Plasma .... which is best (I've read that plasma is perfect for 3D and only on the larger screens... with plasma's starting 42" upwards - but have plasma's evolved enough over the years ? ...the internet still has loads of information about dead pixels, burned areas of the screen and ghost imagery with some plasmas).

Is there anything else I should look out for ? (suppose that question is also for your customers as well as the staff)

Thanks ...Super thanks to anyone who is able to help in my quest to get a better tv....and apologies for the long post !

PC,

thanks for the opportunity to quote and no problem for the long post whatsoever..

On the broad issue, I still like Plasma and the scary tales about dead pixels and screen burn, are broadly just that, tales and Plas does not suffer any greater failure than LCD or LED - however frequently there are performance advantages but the downside is that in 3D, Plasma tends to be quite expensive!

So if you are looking for 40" plus with Full Hd and 3D here are a few options - they are all Smart / internet ready with the exception of the Samsung 6030 - this tends to be the case with 3D TV as when you go up the spec scale 3D and internet ready tend to go hand in hand!

Samsung UE40EH6030 LED - £539.95
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue40eh6030/sams-ue40eh6030

LG 42LM620 - £639.95 Passive 3D / Optional wifi / 3 USB inputs
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/lg/42lm620t/lg-42lm620t

Panasonic TXL42ET5 - £749.95 (also this has just been reduced by £150!)(this set looks fantastic!) Passive 3D / LED / Wifi Built in / DLNA / Full web browser
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-txl42et5b/pana-txl42et5b

I can give you lots of other options at higher price ranges if you like however my personal preference would be for the Pana 40ET5 as it's a brill Tv with a reasonable price - also if you compare our pricing with most ROI retailesr you will see we are pretty keen!;)

Thanks again and keep me posted if we can assist in any way or if you would like to reserve anything of course:D

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭breanach

PCPhoto wrote: »

PC,

thanks for the opportunity to quote and no problem for the long post whatsoever..

On the broad issue, I still like Plasma and the scary tales about dead pixels and screen burn, are broadly just that, tales and Plas does not suffer any greater failure than LCD or LED - however frequently there are performance advantages but the downside is that in 3D, Plasma tends to be quite expensive!

So if you are looking for 40" plus with Full Hd and 3D here are a few options - they are all Smart / internet ready with the exception of the Samsung 6030 - this tends to be the case with 3D TV as when you go up the spec scale 3D and internet ready tend to go hand in hand!

Samsung UE40EH6030 LED - £539.95
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue40eh6030/sams-ue40eh6030

LG 42LM620 - £639.95 Passive 3D / Optional wifi / 3 USB inputs
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/lg/42lm620t/lg-42lm620t

Panasonic TXL42ET5 - £749.95 (also this has just been reduced by £150!)(this set looks fantastic!) Passive 3D / LED / Wifi Built in / DLNA / Full web browser
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-txl42et5b/pana-txl42et5b

I can give you lots of other options at higher price ranges if you like however my personal preference would be for the Pana 40ET5 as it's a brill Tv with a reasonable price - also if you compare our pricing with most ROI retailesr you will see we are pretty keen!;)

Thanks again and keep me posted if we can assist in any way or if you would like to reserve anything of course:D

ATVB,

John Mc

Short and sweet LCD all the way and a Samsung they are well priced and last I've mine 5 years!!
    Sound store are the cheapest I find!!!

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

breanach wrote: »
    Short and sweet LCD all the way and a Samsung they are well priced and last I've mine 5 years!!
    Sound store are the cheapest I find!!!

Breanch,

thank's for your input however I've had a look at the soundstore website looking at like for like models to be honest I can only find one Samsung that we both stock that they are the same price as we are - every other model is more expensive from The Soundstore when comparing the same offering.

On your input that LCD is best - I know a lot of it is personal preference but most people in the know will recommend either Plasma or LED as their first preference with standard LCD coming in last - however of course this depends on the individual specification of the TV.

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.