Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mold and Leaky roof

Options
  • 08-07-2012 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Just viewed our dream house yesterday, the house has everything we are looking for and in the area we are looking for. Though there are visible issues with house as below:
    i) Leaky roof upstairs in most bedrooms.
    ii) Mould
    iii) Skirting coming off the wall

Attached are photos of the issues as well for closer inspection.
    Almost all bedrooms on floor 1 has mould. Leaky roof in 2 bedrooms. Skirting coming of all walls.

We are excited about house and it is keenly priced and only built in 7-8 years ago. The way we want to proceed is make an offer and go for a structural survey to cover inspection of these issues. Are we mad to think about buying this house or these issues are standard with Irish houses. I will also like to hear opinions of people who have/had similar issues or know some stories of friend/relatives.

Anyone has any ideas how much does it cost to fix the issues and how long it takes to fix all this.

Many Thanks for all your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

get a structural survey ,it,ll say repairs cost x.then offer x amount, you can say offer is subject to survey .
    You could ask to go up into attic ,see if there,s a leak ,in pipes , or examine roof .
    there,s probably 1 or 2 loose slates letting in water.
    Or get survey,first than make an offer.
    its likely plaster in some areas,and insulation will need replacing ,due to water damage.
    this is not standard for a 7 year old house.
    how much is a house down the road in perfect condition.
    an expert would need to examine,attic,roof, to check damage,
    wheres water coming from?
    a Tiny leak can cause thousands of euros worth of damage.
    no harm buying house if its good price, and you know it,ll cost x amount to fix up.

skirting board costs maybe 60 euro to fix,not a big deal.
    Bad insulation,blocked vents, not enough ventilation can cause mould.
    ie i can t be sure theres a water pipe,or roof ,attic leak ,
    just by looking at a few photos.
    AGENT might allow you to look up in attic to look around.
    A survey costs 500 euro approx.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Cool Rider wrote: »
    Just viewed our dream house yesterday, the house has everything we are looking for and in the area we are looking for. Though there are visible issues with house as below:
    i) Leaky roof upstairs in most bedrooms.
    ii) Mould
    iii) Skirting coming off the wall

Attached are photos of the issues as well for closer inspection.
    Almost all bedrooms on floor 1 has mould. Leaky roof in 2 bedrooms. Skirting coming of all walls.

We are excited about house and it is keenly priced and only built in 7-8 years ago. The way we want to proceed is make an offer and go for a structural survey to cover inspection of these issues. Are we mad to think about buying this house or these issues are standard with Irish houses. I will also like to hear opinions of people who have/had similar issues or know some stories of friend/relatives.

Anyone has any ideas how much does it cost to fix the issues and how long it takes to fix all this.

Many Thanks for all your help

If I were you I would get a builder to have a look at it before you bid. It could be something really simple to fix or a bigger job. Has the house been vacant for a long period of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cool Rider

Millem wrote: »

If I were you I would get a builder to have a look at it before you bid. It could be something really simple to fix or a bigger job. Has the house been vacant for a long period of time?

No the house is owner occupied

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

Hi, OP -
    Hard to tell from the photo,s - any photo's of the roof above this area?.
    - It looks like the chimney breast @ 1st floor level - is the fire place directly below this area on ground floor ?
    If so, likely to be flashing around chimney stack at roof level - or loose / cracked tile / slate.
    Attic space & roof should all be included in review by your surveyor.
    It doesn't look like a huge issue, however it is hard to tell from the photo's in your links - fairly localized.
    The skirting, not a big problem - however it does look like it has been removed and not warped, and the position of the rad also - may indicate a leak in to the floor space at some point, any staining on the ceilings of the floor below this room ?
    mike F

Advertisement