Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooker and hob question

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

chiefness wrote: »
    That sounds like a Vicky Pollard Yes/But No.

Question: Have you ever wrapped a 120mm solid around a terminal?
    Answer: No

Why would I do that?
    There are alternatives to terminating a 120 sq. mm solid core copper cable without using a compression lug that comply with the regulation and manufactures recommendations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    I would consider the current carrying capacity of a cable to be the maximum current that it can sustain indefinitely.

According to 433.1 of ET101, the design current of the cable shall be < or = the rated current of the protective device which shall be < or = the continuous current carrying capacity of the cable (according to 523).

In other words, the protective device operates before the cable fails.

Yes of course. When I said it depends on what you consider the capacity.... I meant more in general than you yourself.

Manufacturers often have flexes on appliances, and 13 amp fuses in the plugs, but the flex would not be rated to carry 13 amps continuous. I have a toaster for example, 0.75 flex, 13 amp fuse.

Its unlikely the flex will ever be subjected to a sustained overload when feeding a single appliance.

Protective earths can be smaller than the MCB rating, in terms of capacity, again because they are unlikely to be carrying a sustained overload, and more likely a short fault current.

Cooker and shower internal wiring is only 2.5mm in places with the next protective device being a 32 or 40 amp breaker, again, the wiring not likely to be overloaded, just a short circuit.

These are all appliance flexes and internal wiring, as opposed to installation final circuits of course. But worth a mention.

chiefness wrote: »
    That sounds like a Vicky Pollard Yes/But No.

Putting lugs on 1.5 or 2.5mm solid core is not great imo.

Although I did lug onto 95, 120 and 150 solids many years ago.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Yes of course. When I said it depends on what you consider the capacity.... I meant more in general than you yourself.
    I know I pretty much quoted directly, but that is what I agree with.
    Manufacturers often have flexes on appliances, and 13 amp fuses in the plugs, but the flex would not be rated to carry 13 amps continuous. I have a toaster for example, 0.75 flex, 13 amp fuse.

True, but that is portable equipment, so fixed installation design does not apply.
    I can't think of any examples of this for fixed equipment.

Its unlikely the flex will ever be subjected to a sustained overload when feeding a single appliance.
    Yes, but at least it has short circuit protection from the fuse as well as supplementary protection from the RCD.
    Protective earths can be smaller than the MCB rating, in terms of capacity, again because they are unlikely to be carrying a sustained overload, and more likely a short fault current.
    +1.
    Also even under fault conditions other than a direct low impedeance short circuit they should not be carrying a fault current for very long.
    Cooker and shower internal wiring is only 2.5mm in places with the next protective device being a 32 or 40 amp breaker, again, the wiring not likely to be overloaded, just a short circuit.
    +1
    But the insulation is designed for the higher ambient temperature and the method of installation is different.

These are all appliance flexes and internal wiring, as opposed to installation final circuits of course. But worth a mention.
    I agree, but at least the responsibility for the internal wiring lies with the manufacture.

Although I did lug onto 95, 120 and 150 solids many years ago.
    Aluminium conductor I assume?

• Advertisement

Aluminium conductor I assume?

Indeed.

Indeed.
    Yes, so did I in the ESB training center in Portlaoise.

Yes, so did I in the ESB training center in Portlaoise.

Yea I did them in new estates in leixlip and maynooth areas. Seems like a long time ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 chiefness

I agree with you there. I wouldn't lug any solid <16 sq if at all possible.

Advertisement