Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cash payment for woodwork

Options
  • 08-07-2012 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hi

we recently got to the carpentry stage of our house and we knew this guy locally who did a lot of wood work.

he got the job for the roof of the house asked for cash payment only but gave no receipt
    then we gave him the garage roof job and again cash payment no receipt or invoice for both jobs.
    both jobs were quoted and price agreed, everyone happy.

Then we needed interior woodwork to be done and stairs put in.
    he offered to do it and said he wouldnt be hard on us but he never gave any quote and started the job.
    we trusted him as the previous jobs had been done but he suddenly started charging by the hour and telling us we needed to pay him for all the labour he was doing on the stairs.
    we paid various cash amounts to him and he finished the work on the stairs and interior.

Again we got no receipts for each cash payment.
    a year later he turns up on our door step saying we owe him more money for the stairs and i asked for a detailed invoice. he had no invoice with him but kept yelling that we owed him more cash and wanted it now. he also came into my house uninvited and got verbally abusive.

where do we stand legally as he has got a bundle of cash from us( over 4k for the interior), for all the jobs he has done.
    has he any legal rights over us????

cant believe that he would stoop so low

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭TheBody

Sounds like he is short on cash because he has no work and is trying it on with you. I'd tell him to go f**k himself. I bet he didn't pay a cent of tax on the money you paid him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I've moved this as I think this is more of a consumer issue than an employment one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Tell him to get stuffed. He's trying it On.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Ask him for a vat receipt on the money already paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

where do we stand legally as he has got a bundle of cash from us( over 4k for the interior), for all the jobs he has done.
    has he any legal rights over us????

I'd seriously doubt that it will ever come to proving who owes what to whom. If there was a court case, he would have the burden of proof. He would also be exposing his financial records to scrutiny, which I would bet he is not overly keen on doing.

Rest easy... and tell him to keep his threats to himself, lest he draw unwanted attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Treat him as you would any criminal at your front door. Call the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 florida1325

That ignorant man had the audacity to send an invoice by registered post claiming we still owe Him over 1k . No sign of our receipts or a vat number on his invoice. Do we ignore thi
    or take some action. His work was badly finished and never came back to correct it.
    :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

That ignorant man had the audacity to send an invoice by registered post claiming we still owe Him over 1k . No sign of our receipts or a vat number on his invoice. Do we ignore thi
    or take some action. His work was badly finished and never came back to correct it.
    :confused:

Report him to the Social Welfare Office also, he is now most likely out of work and chancing his arm, ignore him is the best bet.

Pay Cash is fine, but it needs to be an agreed price like his first jobs, it is supporting the black economy and undercutting honest registered taxpaying businesses who do everything by the book and this guy sounds like a cowboy. There can be good cowboy's whos only crime is shafting the tax-man and then there is the likes of this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Did he tell you when he finished the work a year ago that the amount of 1000 euro was still to be paid to him or how did the relationship end back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 florida1325

He new there would be more work to come but he told us we were paid up for the work done.we were to contact him when we needed him again. Plus he wa s supposed to give us receipts for the cash we gave him. I.have dates and amounts written down for our cash paid. Turns up a year later looking for more . Only way to prove he made up this new Invoice would be to examine when the computer invoice was made.and modified . He can't change the file properties . We have a sagging floor and bad work he promised to fix .we were glad to see the back of him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Take some pics of the shoddy work and send him a Small Claims Court summons. When he contacts you going mental just tell him two can play the game.

Advertisement