Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Athlone 24/7 No More

Options
  • 08-07-2012 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

The signs have been changed on the outside Now 6 AM to Midnight Monday-Sunday , Whats the Story ?
    To me it seemed silly being 24/7 as they required security to Monitor the Mall at all times.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

galait wrote: »
    The signs have been changed on the outside Now 6 AM to Midnight Monday-Sunday , Whats the Story ?
    To me it seemed silly being 24/7 as they required security to Monitor the Mall at all times.
    They did most of the stocking and some deliveries during the wee small hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

No more stumbling out of Karma on a Friday night and down to Tesco to do the shopping :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Was in there the other night and the place was a building site. Holes in the floor 'guarded' by cereal boxes!

whyulittle wrote: »
    Was in there the other night and the place was a building site. Holes in the floor 'guarded' by cereal boxes!
    What kind of cereal?

Zero1986 wrote: »
    What kind of cereal?
    Cornflakes! :p

• Advertisement

Cornflakes! :p
    Jesus, Tesco's going to shite so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

tHEY ARE ALSO closing the bargin store for good on thursday

It's the Lidl/Aldi effect combined with less disposable income, people are generally looking for cheaper groceries.

Cheaper groceries is more important than extended opening hours, despite the fact that it was fairly cheap to provide, the only extra cost being the security and the insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Cheaper groceries is more important than extended opening hours, despite the fact that it was fairly cheap to provide, the only extra cost being the security and the insurance.

Not to mention lighting, heating & staff wages plus probably taxis home for at least the female staff with no transport of their own. Dunnes in Cornellscourt, Dublin is one of the biggest supermarket in the country and they no longer open 24 x 7 so I wouldn't bother analysing any local issues around Tesco in Athlone doing likewise.

coylemj wrote: »
    Not to mention lighting, heating & staff wages plus probably taxis home for at least the female staff with no transport of their own. Dunnes in Cornellscourt, Dublin is one of the biggest supermarket in the country and they no longer open 24 x 7 so I wouldn't bother analysing any local issues around Tesco in Athlone doing likewise.
    In those large stores the staff are on shelf-stacking duties, so there are no extra costs involved, the staff would be there anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

In those large stores the staff are on shelf-stacking duties, so there are no extra costs involved, the staff would be there anyway.

I think that insurance would be higher if your letting customers in at night though. Plus since you have the general public there, youd need some security staff. The affore-mentioned taxi provision to the female (and probably also male) staff and associated overheads i guess adds up.

Its a bit of a shame to be honest but theres not many out there who need to shop 12am-6am anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭yoursaviour1989

coylemj wrote: »

Why would Tesco pay for taxis for their staff? How you get to/from work is really not their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Why would Tesco pay for taxis for their staff? How you get to/from work is really not their problem.

To get them to actually agree to those shifts I guess. Some companies do it (2 of my previous employers did for all staff working beyond 10pm)

Advertisement