Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí drinking seized alcohol 'common practice'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Wait, did he give it free?

yup !! the reason i asked to buy cider was, certain stations around south county Dublin were notorious for selling confiscated beer / cider
    granted this was in the 80's
    also knew of a garda around the same era that would sell the odd bit of smelly if you asked nicely

don't know why people were are so surprised - i thought this was common knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Irish_wolf wrote: »
    Not like the guards could have legally just given the shop the cans back so they could sell them.

Why not? Is there some law around that? I mean, if they don't seem opened/tampered with, I'd presume that's exactly what you'd do — it's not like it's a naggin in some 16 year old's hand in a field, you're talking slabs. Any other recovered stolen goods, surely you'd be able to give back? (Not that I'm surprised it happens)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Feathers wrote: »
    Why not? Is there some law around that? I mean, if they don't seem opened/tampered with, I'd presume that's exactly what you'd do — it's not like it's a naggin in some 16 year old's hand in a field, you're talking slabs. Any other recovered stolen goods, surely you'd be able to give back? (Not that I'm surprised it happens)

The garda did state he tried phoning her. I'm not sure why he couldn't use his legs or car to get to the f**king shop himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 xperi

i lived next door to a garda a few years ago , sound fella would regulary drop me in beer he took off under age lads. told me it was common practise for himself & his collogues to take it home, i cant see anything wrong with that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

1210m5g wrote: »
    You should see what some of them do with drugs. Im sure i will be called a liar but i have smoked weed (among other things) that made its way back out of a garda station.
    Yep i've seen this myself. Quite common for people to get caught with a small amount of smoke or pills and a garda confiscates and goes on his way, no summons forthcoming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Isnt it well known that Gardai will keep drink and drugs they confiscate and drink/use it themselves or give it away to somebody they know?

Go to the bathroom in coppers and you'll see the fine members of the Garda siochana powdering their noses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Rabies wrote: »
    They can go get it themselves. Was taken for a reason.
    The lawful owner was the Supermarket from which it was stolen...duh!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Carbon Bootprint

dj jarvis wrote: »
    i was in bray garda station maybe 15 years ago to make a statement about a RTA i witnessed , they kept me waiting for a age , so long, i missed closing time and could not stock up for a party i was DJing at.

said to the garda " nice one - now im dry - any cider for sale ? " he put his finger to his lips to keep me quiet - the Sargent was within earshot, motioned me to follow him , out to the car , popped open the boot of the patrol car.

inside was bags of beer , and said " help yourself " , i did , 2 carrier bags full of beer i took , all carlsberg to boot :D , and there was PLENTY left in it.

they even gave me a lift to the session - and it was a illegal rave :eek:
    funny lot those bray garda !!!
    I hope you've been giving that guard a Christmas card every year at the least. Sounds like a handy friend to have if you ever need one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Yep i've seen this myself. Quite common for people to get caught with a small amount of smoke or pills and a garda confiscates and goes on his way, no summons forthcoming.

and that means the garda is a coke sniffing addict instead of that he simple didnt bother summoning for a petty offence and flushed the stuff or sent it for destruction?

I have never summonsed for petty possession, never put it up my nose either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Maldesu wrote: »
    Think its supposed to be incinerated. I'd rather they drink it than burn it.

I'm guessing it takes a special kind of incinerator to burn cider?

• Advertisement

A FORMER garda at Bray station has claimed it is common practice for members of the force to consume alcoholic drink seized by the Garda.

Insp Walsh, agreed there was a certain amount of difficulty in relation to Mr Murphy – a probation garda at the time – his suitability for the Garda and whether he would be appointed. He said Mr Murphy had received a citation for jumping into a river in Cork.

.[/QUOTE]

disgruntled ex-employee makes claims to stop himself being convicted of theft.

shocking.

instead of bashing the Gardai maybe people should be impressed that they spotted a dodgy one and got rid of him!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

and people were surprised that so many on another thread were saying they wouldnt hand a wallet into the Gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

bubblypop wrote: »
    A FORMER garda at Bray station has claimed it is common practice for members of the force to consume alcoholic drink seized by the Garda.

Insp Walsh, agreed there was a certain amount of difficulty in relation to Mr Murphy – a probation garda at the time – his suitability for the Garda and whether he would be appointed. He said Mr Murphy had received a citation for jumping into a river in Cork.

disgruntled ex-employee makes claims to stop himself being convicted of theft.

shocking.

instead of bashing the Gardai maybe people should be impressed that they spotted a dodgy one and got rid of him!!![/QUOTE]

Im glad they spotted him but there is a lot more dodgy gaurds they could and should get rid off. They would do themselves a massive favour too by getting rid of gaurds that got the job because their mammy/daddy was a gaurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

leonidas83 wrote: »
    Why dont u give a point of view instead of just criticising the thread, if dont like it you know where to go.

I think people are beginning to realise more and more in recent months that being a member of the gardai allows you some serious perks.

Bull. The only people who think like this are teenagers and people with attitude problems. The same type of people who have no interaction with their community i.e. The Garda.
    these stories are sparse and exaggerated. Bull and muck. Time for people to stop basing their opinions on other peoples fabulous stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

I have never seen anyone using drugs in Coppers nor have I ever heard of any Guard taking home seized drugs for himself or anyone else...

I have never seen anyone using drugs in Coppers nor have I ever heard of any Guard taking home seized drugs for himself or anyone else...
    Then perhaps you are lucky to have led such a sheltered life:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

More concerning to me is that he apparently believes there's a 6 month statute of limitations on theft. Either he believes that or is lying so I'm going to go with him being quite ignorant of the law.

The correct term would be mistaken. The is a six month limit in bringing summons under the Petty Sessions (Ireland) Act, 1851.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

Lots of people saying what's the harm, you've got to remember this has to do with the public perception of and trust in the Gardai. It's low enough as is..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Casillas wrote: »
    Lots of people saying what's the harm, you've got to remember this has to do with the public perception of and trust in the Gardai. It's low enough as is..

Find me a police force you could say the opposite of. People will always resent those who enforce the law. There are two reasons for this. Firstly, the law does not always do what people want it to. Secondly, people don't like having the law enforced on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

MagicSean wrote: »
    Find me a police force you could say the opposite of. People will always resent those who enforce the law. There are two reasons for this. Firstly, the law does not always do what people want it to. Secondly, people don't like having the law enforced on them.

There's no reason for the Gardai to try an provoke further hostility towards themselves. Contrary to popular belief the Gardai are very reliant on the willingness of local communities to work with them, in order to get anything done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

About 10 years ago I was walking along minding my own business when a Garda traffic bike pulled up alongside me and handed me two carrier bags full of a mixture of tinnies, must have been at least twenty cans. He muttered through his helmet that he had confiscated them a little while earlier but had to rush off after a stolen car so needed rid of them. I was happy to help.:D

Victor wrote: »
    The correct term would be mistaken. The is a six month limit in bringing summons under the Petty Sessions (Ireland) Act, 1851.

Said the opposite in the article, depends on whether it'd be defined as petty maybe? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

It's incredibly unprofessional, so I'm not surprised the gards do it. What other confiscated goods do they help themselves to, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Buttonftw wrote: »
    Victor wrote: »

Said the opposite in the article, depends on whether it'd be defined as petty maybe? :pac:

No the article says there is no statue of limitations on theft, petty sessions actd says that a summons must be applied for within 6 months of the offence being committed.

MagicSean wrote: »
    Especially when the ranks of their police force are populated with thieves,liars, and bullies, as so many recent cases have shown.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

about twenty years ago i was stoped and searched by two sb's they took a five spot and a packet skins off me and drove off laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I think everyone knows guards do this. Same with firemen taking "fire damaged" stock. Its an unofficial perk of the job.
    Definitely should be cracked down on though, if they can't find the owner it should be poured down the drain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Go to the bathroom in coppers and you'll see the fine members of the Garda siochana powdering their noses.

I can assure you that in my experience in the job in many different roles (10yrs+) I have never seen a member of the Gardai powdering their noses with cocaine or similiar in any of the "regular haunts"

Out of 14,000 with the law of statistics you can be sure there are some members hooked on drink and drugs....

But to say its commonplace for Gardai to be snorting drugs is 100% totally wrong and ill-informed.

source wrote: »
    No the article says there is no statue of limitations on theft, petty sessions actd says that a summons must be applied for within 6 months of the offence being committed.

The two halves of that seem to contradict each other to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Was at a friends house before who's father was a sergeant in the station in town.
    We went to get something out of the boot of the family car and in the boot there was my class mates school bag (name was written down the straps) with 8 pint bottles of bulmers and 6 smirn off vodka naggins in it.

Turns out it was confiscated the night before and I was told keep my mouth shut.

Advertisement