Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí drinking seized alcohol 'common practice'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

nothing worse than a rat.someone should shut that copper up

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

fran17 wrote: »
    nothing worse than a rat.someone should shut that copper up

What about standards of professional conduct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I think everyone knows guards do this. Same with firemen taking "fire damaged" stock. Its an unofficial perk of the job.
    Definitely should be cracked down on though, if they can't find the owner it should be poured down the drain.

Find the owner? It's generally a sixteen year old that booze is confiscated from.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

"It was destroyed in that manner"

Casillas wrote: »
    well if we're talking serious crime,child abuse or the like then point taken yeah.but in this case i think the rat charge thrumps it

• Advertisement

fran17 wrote: »
    well if we're talking serious crime,child abuse or the like then point taken yeah.but in this case i think the rat charge thrumps it

Is there some kind of magic line where ethical standards are safe?

I'm interested in how you think it makes a Garda less professional. I use to work in a deli and the boss would not allow anyone to take home leftover rolls at the end of a day because he thought they might purposely bake too many. Is that the kind of practice you believe in?

MagicSean wrote: »
    I'm interested in how you think it makes a Garda less professional. I use to work in a deli and the boss would not allow anyone to take home leftover rolls at the end of a day because he thought they might purposely bake too many. Is that the kind of practice you believe in?

What kind of comparison is that? These are Gardai enforcing the law, they are supposed to destroy these substances. Taking them for personal use is ethically wrong in their position.

What kind of comparison is that? These are Gardai enforcing the law, they are supposed to destroy these substances. Taking them for personal use is ethically wrong in their position.

interesting phrasing. They don't take them for personal use. They take them from underage drinkers. If you could explain why it is more ethical to pour the booze down a drain rather than drink it I would be very interested to hear your reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I really don't see the problem here. I'd hate the idea of them dumping it.

• Advertisement

Is there some kind of magic line where ethical standards are safe?
    i can only speak about the case in question and in my opinoin the rat is out of order.and i dont believe he said it for anything as noble as upholding ethical standards,more so to save his own bacon.no pun intended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I don't think they should be destroyed nor do I think they should be used by the Gardai. Why not sell them off like they do with other unclaimed stolen property? There's regular sales of good siezed by the Gardai and customs at an auction house on the naas rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Buttonftw wrote: »
    source wrote: »
    No the article says there is no statue of limitations on theft, petty sessions actd says that a summons must be applied for within 6 months of the offence being committed.

The two halves of that seem to contradict each other to me.

Basically there is nothing in the Criminal Justice (Theft and Fraud Offences) Act 2001 that puts a statue of limitations on theft.

However the Petty Sessions (Ireland) Act states that a summons for a summary offence must be applied for within 6 months, so while theft has no statue of limitations, it can become statue barred after 6 months.

Contradictory yes, but still correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

MugMugs wrote: »
    Well they're required to "dispose of evidence" are they not?

Waste not, want not :)

they would hardly drink cans of Dutch Gold. have they no standards?

the people who bitch about them drinking are the same one who bitch about them getting a free coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Find the owner? It's generally a sixteen year old that booze is confiscated from.
    And you think that makes ok to steal it?:mad:

SocSocPol wrote: »
    And you think that makes ok to steal it?:mad:

Steal it from who? The drain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Shame to waste it. Think of all the... well you get the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I suppose it depends on how much you know about the police and what they are like or not. There are rather a lot of unofficial perks, believe it or not, also some types of people would seek to err, influence the behaviour of the force and so would bestow many and varied gifts. Personally, I've been on some cracking days out shooting with several coppers which included much free booze and complimentary vehicles, etc. There is a view that they are pure as the driven snow, but come on, people are people, and people love "stuff", especially free stuff. Free stuff is good, whatever walk of life you are in. Please feel more than free now to deride my post and call me names, I love a good name calling. Throw in a few "bull5hits" as well, they're always good for the rise. Also add in that all Gardai are saints, stuff like that.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Pottler wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on how much you know about the police and what they are like or not. There are rather a lot of unofficial perks, believe it or not, also some types of people would seek to err, influence the behaviour of the force and so would bestow many and varied gifts. Personally, I've been on some cracking days out shooting with several coppers which included much free booze and complimentary vehicles, etc. There is a view that they are pure as the driven snow, but come on, people are people, and people love "stuff", especially free stuff. Free stuff is good, whatever walk of life you are in. Please feel more than free now to deride my post and call me names, I love a good name calling. Throw in a few "bull5hits" as well, they're always good for the rise. Also add in that all Gardai are saints, stuff like that.:)

In uniform at work they are guards, out of the uniform same as everyone else.
    If you are a gob****e in uniform you will be a gob****e out of it imo.

hondasam wrote: »
    In uniform at work they are guards, out of the uniform same as everyone else.
    If you are a gob****e in uniform you will be a gob****e out of it imo.
    I've had a few sessions with them with the uniform firmly attached.;) I don't say that to slag them off, it's a hard job at times and they put up with a lot of crap and stress. People are people- Brendan Gleesons "Gard" is not a million miles as removed from reality as it might seem to some. I reckon I know the Gard he based the character on personally and I love him to bits - one of the funniest, most human people I know - does the job, but it's just a job, no saints to be found.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Last time I was arrested on suspicion of armed robbery in Carlow when about to board the train, they were listening to my seized cassettes! Fairly surreal coming out of the cell to find the sargeant with his feet up n his shades on listnin to a doors tape. Commending my 'taste'?!

prick was beatin the legs out from under me on the way up the stairs, now it's all buddy cop. what gives

Pottler wrote: »
    I've had a few sessions with them with the uniform firmly attached.;) I don't say that to slag them off, it's a hard job at times and they put up with a lot of crap and stress. People are people- Brendan Gleesons "Gard" is not a million miles as removed from reality as it might seem to some. I reckon I know the Gard he based the character on personally and I love him to bits - one of the funniest, most human people I know - does the job, but it's just a job, no saints to be found.:)

The older guard is different to the young lads and lassies we have today. A few on a power trip gives a bad name to the others.

The older guard is different to the young lads and lassies we have today. A few on a power trip gives a bad name to the others.
    I'm fairly old at this stage Sam as well. I prefer the old style Gard, at least I know where I am with them. Never really met an older Gard on a power trip, apart from the usual few wnkrs, most are just jaded and a bit cynical.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

Guards are well known scavengers. They get free drink all the time from pubs who leave in large caches at xmas. They also get free grub from fast food joints, and free entry into night clubs. They just pay for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

In this case it was the local Centra. But agreed, in 99% of cases it's a youngfella. That should be poured down the drain imho.

Guards are well known scavengers. They get free drink all the time from pubs who leave in large caches at xmas. They also get free grub from fast food joints, and free entry into night clubs. They just pay for nothing.

What a load of bollix.

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Last time I was arrested on suspicion of armed robbery in Carlow when about to board the train, they were listening to my seized cassettes! Fairly surreal coming out of the cell to find the sargeant with his feet up n his shades on listnin to a doors tape. Commending my 'taste'?!

prick was beatin the legs out from under me on the way up the stairs, now it's all buddy cop. what gives
    As you do. Try a car - they are way less predictable than a train when it comes to getting away. The whole, "no fixed stops/route" thing improves chances by a country mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

LH Pathe wrote: »

Ha Ha Ha,
    When I was being interviewed/beaten for the same thing they were actually smoking the same seized cigarettes, The room was black with smoke, Ah the (not so) good ol' days !!! :D

I'd rather have cops taking drink, Hash or a few lines home for themselves than the stuff the cops in places like Russia do, Taking drink and availing of a few free perks isn't exactly major corruption, Sometimes we don't realise how decent most of our cops actually are. They could be a whole lot worse if they wanted to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

What a load of bollix.
    Iv seen the free entry into nightclubs myself. Quick badge flash and in he went. My local pub used to give crates of beer to the local station at xmas to stay in their good books. Never heard of the free grub though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Know two regular Gardai and one reserve member and all three used to bring home carrier bags full of assorted cans every few weeks.Don't have a problem with them doing this,a small perk for what is often a demoralizing,thankless job.

Advertisement