Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí drinking seized alcohol 'common practice'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭bernardamaac.

i agree with this thread completely there a bunch of corrupt c*nts once me and a couple of the lads were "bushing" behind a merry's.i went in went on the bumpers came back out there's 2 gardai walking past bags of drink to get to my slab pick it up boot of the car and gone.there was me with nothing and every one else langer's drunk. :( sad times..

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Fuinseog wrote: »
    they would hardly drink cans of Dutch Gold. have they no standards?
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/2160/212354.jpg

the people who bitch about them drinking are the same one who bitch about them getting a free coffee.
    It is one thing to get a free coffee at a meeting, another to not have to pay for lunch - ever. I admit that this is less frequent than it was in the past.
    baldbear wrote: »
    Iv seen the free entry into nightclubs myself. Quick badge flash and in he went. My local pub used to give crates of beer to the local station at xmas to stay in their good books. Never heard of the free grub though
    Rules were introduced to stop it.

It is one thing to give a reward, another to grease palms.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

MagicSean wrote: »
    I'm interested in how you think it makes a Garda less professional. I use to work in a deli and the boss would not allow anyone to take home leftover rolls at the end of a day because he thought they might purposely bake too many. Is that the kind of practice you believe in?

The use of stolen goods wouldnt make a man whose job is to uphold the law less professional?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The use of stolen goods wouldnt make a man whose job is to uphold the law less professional?

You are referring only to the case of the fella in court. In the vast majority of cases it is not stolen, it is purchased illegally by or for under 18's and that is who it is seized from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I used to know a lad who got bags of fireworks at Halloween from his dad who was a Garda and used to confiscate them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Dont know about seized alcohol but I used to work in a well known Dublin pub about 12 years ago...

We would regularly get a knock on the door when we were having a few drinks after closing, the manager would get up, take a look and then go out to the squad car with a case of beer.

My uncle has a country pub and the local sergeant is always WELL taken care of at Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

One of my friends has a brother that is a guard. He'd regularly bring home drink over the years. Mate told me that he has brought home fireworks, weed and even clothes at different times.

I've recently start working for law enforcement in the US. I'd be out on my ear if I messed with evidence or confiscated goods. Maybe it's cause I'm on probation but I haven't heard of any perks like that over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

When we were kids in the 80's my uncle used to bring up bagloads of pirate VHS , he'd get them from his friend who was a Garda..this progressed to DVD, all dodgy quality but obviously 'confiscated' from the sellers up at the Galway Races.. pretty sure the same happened with beer \o/

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I doubt the Gardai would drink the fizzy slop that street drinkers drink or the Paint remover vodka .
    They might give it away though .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

One of my friends has a brother that is a guard. He'd regularly bring home drink over the years. Mate told me that he has brought home fireworks, weed and even clothes at different times.
    When we were kids in the 80's my uncle used to bring up bagloads of pirate VHS , he'd get them from his friend who was a Garda..this progressed to DVD, all dodgy quality but obviously 'confiscated' from the sellers up at the Galway Races.. pretty sure the same happened with beer \o/

A mate of mine used to work with a fella who lived next door to a girl who was friends with a niece of copper and he always let her play with the seized guns when they were younger...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭blue note

They should give whatever they confiscate to the homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

In this particular case the stolen stuff should have been returned. But generally don't see a problem with them using confiscated stuff. Bit of a perk.

When I was young, we used to go to the neighbouring housing estate at Haloween because they used to have shít loads of fireworks. They all cam from the guard who lived there. It was common knowledge. Him and other parents were there to supervise, unlike the people he would have been taking them from.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

For the higher up guard to claim is not normal is the big thing here. He is simply lying as enough people know it is common. To claim it doesn't happen indicates his willingness to lie in court.
    The guy made a mistake of doing it with stolen beer. Fine to say it is a perk and no problem with it. Now we have a senior guardi lying about it which is a really big deal. Highly plausible he did suggest going looking for some extra for a planned party.
    If you know any guardi you know they do this. They also take drugs and keep them. I'm sure some don't but it would be common practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I've recently start working for law enforcement in the US. I'd be out on my ear if I messed with evidence or confiscated goods. Maybe it's cause I'm on probation but I haven't heard of any perks like that over here.

Is it more like the shield or the wire?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

baldbear wrote: »
    Iv seen the free entry into nightclubs myself. Quick badge flash and in he went. My local pub used to give crates of beer to the local station at xmas to stay in their good books. Never heard of the free grub though

Yes, most fast food joints give free grub to garda. Also most hotels etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

talla10 wrote: »
    A mate of mine used to work with a fella who lived next door to a girl who was friends with a niece of copper and he always let her play with the seized guns when they were younger...:rolleyes:

I know his brother. I've been in the house a few times when he has brought in drink. My mate wouldn't be making stuff up about his brother like that. So i've no reason not to believe him.

Is it more like the shield or the wire?

Neither for me anyways. I'm with the crimes against children unit so since coming out of my 20 weeks training i've mostly been office based or sitting in on court cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

be a total waste to throw it down the sink... think of all them sober children in ethiopia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Taking stolen goods well that's not good. But seized alcohol is routinely taken home or handed out to friends. Availed of some myself at times.

I love the story of the motorcycle cop randomly stopping some guy and handing him seized beer.

As for people who deny this happens, well next they'll be telling us Gardai never ever drink and drive.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Pottler wrote: »
    LH Pathe wrote: »
    Last time I was arrested, on suspicion of armed robbery in Carlow when about to board the train, they were listening to my seized cassettes! Fairly surreal coming out of the cell to find the sargeant with his feet up n his shades on listnin to a doors tape. Commending my 'taste'?!

prick was beatin the legs out from under me on the way up the stairs, now it's all buddy cop. what gives
    As you do. Try a car - they are way less predictable than a train when it comes to getting away. The whole, "no fixed stops/route" thing improves chances by a country mile.

Sorry, comma! once.. n sure enough i didn't do it!! was more obviously the case in the flesh with me looking more like a student with an Aria Pro rosewood semi acoustic across his back n a rucksack full of musicalia. They really did have that few leads.. needed a scapegoat. Why always me?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

I worked for a year in Co. Louth, won't give town in case it narrows the Guard down. If you wanted any DVD's he was the man to see. And they weren't copies he had made either. A fair few other things were to be got from him also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Back in my youth I only really noticed this with fireworks.

If you wanted some bangers and the like, there was a guy next road over (in wicklow) who would sell them.

By a remarkable coincidence his father was a cop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

What about the coke and pills, gard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

my mates dad is a garda and his fridge would be full of confiscated cans! It's very rare to see cans of Heineken though! It's mostly full of royal dutch gold or karpackie, absolute piss but it was free!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

interesting phrasing. They don't take them for personal use. They take them from underage drinkers. If you could explain why it is more ethical to pour the booze down a drain rather than drink it I would be very interested to hear your reasoning.

The way I would see it is a 'thin end of the wedge' problem. Honestly, if they drink the booze they confiscate, it's no real harm. But the thing is there is a point where stealing evidence or confiscated property is a problem.

Now, we can either have a hard and fast set rule of 'Don't steal anything from evidence or confiscated stuff for your own use' or we can have a separate rule for every possible object the Gardaí could seize.

Should they be allowed use illegal substances? (not saying they do, just should they) what about counterfeit goods? stolen clothing? smuggled cigarettes?

It's too much hassle to rule for every conceivable object and it's more fair if we have a set rule for all members of the force rather than a 'use your judgment' rule.

That's why they shouldn't take the confiscated booze for themselves, it's the thin end of the wedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

There will always be a percentage of people who like to portray the Gardai in a poor light and always also, a percentage of Gardai who provide the opportunity for doing just that. Both types are in a miniority and not representative of main-stream thinking. Such attitudes say as much (if not more) about the individuals themselves as they say about those in the target areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 walnut grove

NOT GUILTY, and righty so .........................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

I knew of Guards coming home from work with bags of stolen stuff and going through it saying 'ooh il wear this Saturday night etc'. Asking did I want perfume etc that thwy could get me some from the station.. and I also knew another Guard that bought weed and was addicted to the stuff! Corrupt!! And then they hand out parking fines to innocents like me... today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

You are referring only to the case of the fella in court. In the vast majority of cases it is not stolen, it is purchased illegally by or for under 18's and that is who it is seized from.
    In which case it becomes the property of the state not the the copper who confiscated it, coppers taking things including alcohol which has been confiscated are just thieves in a uniform.
    Of course some coppers in this country think they are the law, as opposed to officers of the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

SocSocPol wrote: »
    In which case it becomes the property of the state not the the copper who confiscated it, coppers taking things including alcohol which has been confiscated are just thieves in a uniform.
    Of course some coppers in this country think they are the law, as opposed to officers of the law.

But once it is disposed of it is no longer anyones property is it? So you would be ok with people digging it out of the bins? Or do you think it should be incinerated?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

SocSocPol wrote: »

But once it is disposed of it is no longer anyones property is it? So you would be ok with people digging it out of the bins? Or do you think it should be incinerated?

It might be a tiny bit handier to pour it down the sink instead of trying to incinerate it...

Advertisement