Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí drinking seized alcohol 'common practice'

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

MagicSean wrote: »
    But once it is disposed of it is no longer anyones property is it? So you would be ok with people digging it out of the bins? Or do you think it should be incinerated?
    why are you so eager to defend criminality by gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Cops have been doing this since Jesus was a boy - my buds sis is a detective in Cork, she used to confiscate cans on a friday night, then go back up 30 mins, same guys usually get more cans - then take it off them again. She didnt drink bud though, but she was throwing a bbq that weekend for her mates....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

SocSocPol wrote: »
    why are you so eager to defend criminality by gardai?

I've never defended criminality by anyone. I simply asked if you would rather see something destroyed than used.

MagicSean wrote: »
    I've never defended criminality by anyone. I simply asked if you would rather see something destroyed than used.
    Yes destroyed rather than stolen.
    Confiscated goods used for personal theft is larceny.
    I think you will find that a judge would not accept your defence in a court.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 barryprp

my father is a guard and i asked him about this..he said he has never done it or heard of anybody doing it! im not saying it doesnt go on though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Eru wrote: »
    and that means the garda is a coke sniffing addict instead of that he simple didnt bother summoning for a petty offence and flushed the stuff or sent it for destruction?i

I have never summonsed for petty possession, never put it up my nose either.
    never said anything about coke, garda. But having been at parties with some of your colleagues present, i can certainly say that a few of them are not above getting high.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Judging by the reactions of his two Inspectors and the very fact that he is under investigation I would imagine this Garda is the exception not the norm.

But hey, let's not let common sense get in the way of good old fashioned Garda bashing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭fluboy

SocSocPol wrote: »
    The jury has spoken.

In your earlier posts you seem to be giving out about the Gardai, calling them "thieves in a uniform". But then when they attempt to clean up their act and charge one of their own, you seem delighted when he is found not guilty. Make up your mind and stick to it please.

• Advertisement

fluboy wrote: »
    In your earlier posts you seem to be giving out about the Gardai, calling them "thieves in a uniform". But then when they attempt to clean up their act and charge one of their own, you seem delighted when he is found not guilty. Make up your mind and stick to it please.
    As I said the jury has spoken, I didnt say I agreed with their verdict, but under our system of justice I must repect and accept it.
    I never said all guards were thieves in uniform, I said those who stole confiscated goods were thieves in uniform, perhaps you should re-read my posts before selectivley misrepresenting them.
    I would love to see your evidence of my alleged delight at the verdict by the way.
    Now go away and troll someone else.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

O.P How do we know that Gardai are drinking seized Alcohol ? Are they drinking publicly on the streets as well ? Things are getting worse .

paddyandy wrote: »
    O.P How do we know that Gardai are drinking seized Alcohol ? Are they drinking publicly on the streets as well ? Things are getting worse .
    If you bothered to read the opening Post you would see that it was stated in evidence in court by a former member of the Guards that it is common practice for gardai to drink alcohol that has been seized.

Thanks Sock .That's one more reason i must join up .Free Booze .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

They're ever so quiet about this one in the Emergency Services forum.

I wonder why?

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    "Mr Murphy said he had the cider in his locker for eight months before disposing of it. The cider was taken to a house party and consumed. That was a common practice."

Accepted as fact in a court of law, therefore?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Harry Bosch.

The site is down.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    They're ever so quiet about this one in the Emergency Services forum.

I wonder why?

How did this end up before a jury, it should have been dealt with in the district court. Superiors are to blame too, garda have to log seized property in records, and superiors have to certify it is disposed of in accordance with regulastions, which does not include gardai drinking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

How did this end up before a jury, it should have been dealt with in the district court. Superiors are to blame too, garda have to log seized property in records, and superiors have to certify it is disposed of in accordance with regulastions, which does not include gardai drinking it.

In a theft case the accused can elect to go before a jury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Would everyone here be delighted if they came across a centra bag full of dutch gold hidden behind a bush and take it home and drink it? If there are members who take home confiscated cans of muck they must have stomachs of steel and care not for their health and hygeine! No way would i drink manky cans that belonged to a scummer, even if they were sealed!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

Would everyone here be delighted if they came across a centra bag full of dutch gold hidden behind a bush and take it home and drink it? If there are members who take home confiscated cans of muck they must have stomachs of steel and care not for their health and hygeine! No way would i drink manky cans that belonged to a scummer, even if they were sealed!

You are right, and god knows what sort of temperature it was kept at. Same is often said about buying sh1t drugs- would you buy a takeaway food off an unknown scummy person and not knowing what was in it. How some guards let themselves down. But it is in their nature - free grub, drink and flash cards going into night clubs. And they the best paid police in Europe,often with two or three houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Yeah that's unbelievable, I would have never thought. Same way a company I used to work for collected many a bag full of empty cigarette cartons among other things to be destroyed.

I thought they were taking away from the revenue of the state smuggling such terrible things in? Surely when the Guards rob them all it's happening anyway and just costing money to process a lengthy trial and the revenue is lost twice or three times over now. Strange really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Perhaps not every profession in this country shares your high standards. ;)

The Guards are not that badly paid that they'd resort to drinking that stale pee thats' chilled to mask that it is nonsense .It's a product and it's vile at room temperature .That's why they fizz and chill it .Real Beer needs neither .

Advertisement