Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sterilizing Bottles

Options
  • 08-07-2012 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

New to home brewing. Have my first brew fermenting at the minute. Have a question about sterilizing the bottles.

Can reuse the same solution of water and VWP Sterilizer. What I was hoping to do was fill a basin up with water and VWP and sterilize all my plastic bottles and caps using the same solution before rinsing then with luke warm water.

Would this be ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

New to home brewing. Have my first brew fermenting at the minute. Have a question about sterilizing the bottles.

Can reuse the same solution of water and VWP Sterilizer. What I was hoping to do was fill a basin up with water and VWP and sterilize all my plastic bottles and caps using the same solution before rinsing then with luke warm water.

Would this be ok?

What bottles are you using? If it is the PET bottles (and it is there first use and you have only openned the box prior to bottling) there is no need to sanitise them.

If you are re-using bottles, I would advise you get a bottle washer (baby section in any supermarket) and give them a good wash and gentle scrub on inside. Then put them in the solution you are going to use. Leave them for a while in that and then rinse really well. Allow to drain and then bottle the beer.

You can also use Vinegar and Thin Bleach in water as a sanitiser. Look on internet or forums to figure out the measurements and DO NOT mix the Vinegar and Bleach neat. Gives off some odd chemicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

Hi Everyone,

Would this be ok?

Ye that will be fine. Just give the bottles a good rinse with tap water after they are sterilised in the vwp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Thanks for the tips.

Yep they are the PET Bottles and I haven't used them before but still going to sanitize. Don't want to take any chances. I will use the same solution then for each bottle and then rinse well afterwards

Over time I will be buy bottle washers etc. A little bit expensive to invest all all the equipment in one month.

@Lang I've seen the bottle washers on the home brew websites, but which supermarket can you buy them in? Are they cheaper than online?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

@Lang I've seen the bottle washers on the home brew websites, but which supermarket can you buy them in? Are they cheaper than online?

I know I've seen them in Tesco for sure. I actually think I picked mine up in Woodies or some other hardware shop, but I haven't needed to use it yet. Will be hoping to bottle a brew in the coming weeks so will have to wash and sanitise everything then.

Just a general tip: After pouring your brew from the bottle, give the bottle a rinse with some water to clear out the sediment. Do it straight away, as the longer you leave it the more difficult it will be to remove this from bottom of bottles and more chance of little nasties growing in your bottles. Takes but a few seconds. Still need to sanitise when going to re-use tho.

Advertisement