Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

British Citizenship Test, Could you pass ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

Most English people are so damn parochial that they don't even know what's over the nearest hill.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Most English people are so damn parochial that they don't even know what's over the nearest hill.

parochial.....not really the word, too busy getting on with their lives to bother.........

whats my next car/holiday/house/kids..........important things.........

you just can't get them to talk about history...i have tried and tried......

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

parochial.....not really the word, too busy getting on with their lives to bother.........

whats my next car/holiday/house/kids..........important things.........

you just can't get them to talk about history...i have tried and tried......

English history taught in English schools= You screwed over the world but at least you did some good in WW2 to balance it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Orim wrote: »
    I thought it was 1740s so I was kinda of right, just the wrong century :pac:

Although I just looked it up and there was a famine in the 1740s so I was technically right.

yes, I said 18th C, it says 19th C!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

efb wrote: »
    yes, I said 18th C, it says 19th C!!!
    It probably doesn't help that there were two of them, one in 18th, one in 19th. The one in the 18th century is less known for some reason.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

aint you a clever person.......3 million indians fought in the british forces during the second world war....all of them volunteers....
    Not to mention the 3 million who died in the Bengal Famine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

9...although guessed 2 or 3 correctly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

They should give this test to the crowd from Geordie shore and see how they do.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

14 out of 15....

I am the son of an Immigrant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Got 11 out of 15 first go, mind you I do have a History degree, so I kinda knew most of the answers. Can't believe I forgot Cromwell overthrew Charles I - I put down James I. D'oh!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

14 out of 15. I'm such a West Brit.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alphasully

11 out of 15, where's my passport. On second thought's I think I'll stick with the one I have

English history taught in English schools= You screwed over the world but at least you did some good in WW2 to balance it out.

me...i'm from the liberties........golden lane......lol

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Blowfish wrote: »
    It probably doesn't help that there were two of them, one in 18th, one in 19th. The one in the 18th century is less known for some reason.
    Because in one of them they banned the export of food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Okay, I'll bow to your superior knowledge so. :rolleyes:

I always thought that Northern Ireland was considered to be part of Great Britain! Almost certain I saw that with people's addresses.

I always thought that Northern Ireland was considered to be part of Great Britain! Almost certain I saw that with people's addresses.

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-70356919/stock-photo-united-kingdom-of-great-britain-and-northern-ireland-passport.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

United Kingdom of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland.
    Kinda suggests it's seperate...

• Advertisement

Not to mention the 3 million who died in the Bengal Famine.

yes.....facts are great........and all the american indian land the irish stole.....oh and killed the indians......shall we go on.....

by the way....seventy percent of the british troops at the time of the bengal famine......were irish........

yes.....facts are great........and all the american indian land the irish stole.....oh and killed the indians......shall we go on.....

by the way....seventy percent of the british troops at the time of the bengal famine......were irish........

It wasn't the soldiers that caused the famine, it was english policies.

You cannot even in your ****ing dreams hide from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

10 in the UK citizenship test.

2 in the Australian one

Seaneh wrote: »

Yeah, and if the Normans hadn't invaded Britain there would have been no eight hundred years of oppression; and if the poxy Romans hadn't abandoned Britain in the first place we could all be speaking Latin today......

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭bedrock#1

13 right out of 15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭indioblack

Well this town I'm in, (in England), has always been parochial. When my mother came here to live from Ireland she found it was exactly the same as the place she was getting away from!
    Actually I do know what's over the hill - Bath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

You scored 11 out of a possible 15

Congratulations! If this was the real British citizenship test you would have passed the 75% mark. Well done you! Feel free to keep your passport.

Will be hard for most Irish people with no questions on Depremiership or Corrie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

9/15

More of a history test tbh. A few contemporary questions would be more appropriate.

never hide from the truth....it rears up and kicks you in the bum....

imperial policies are only enforced by power....soldiers are power....not office wallahs......

what about all the irish who.....stole land from the australian and new zealand native people....

some of my relations there.....as there is in the usa and canada, and everywhere else....

there are even ex slaves with my irish name......wonder where they got that from....

god! the thought....my ancestors were slave owners...

now don't get annoyed.....it is only the truth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I got 8. I lived over there for 2 years, good thing I didn't need British citizenship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I got 7... I have lived here for 19 years!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

i would get caught out on a few questions,and im sure they would find it difficult too,probably didnt have english history on their school curriculum..its a tough one alright..

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

4.. nice :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

You scored 11 out of a possible 15

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Tope

13 out of 15 - I'm fairly interested in history though, and a couple were lucky guesses.
    Jimoslimos wrote: »
    More of a history test tbh. A few contemporary questions would be more appropriate.
    I gather that the history test is just a part of the overall test; I'm sure there are other sections about current laws and other aspects of modern British life. I'd be curious to see the rest of the test actually, I'd probably do worse on that!

Also I'm kinda surprised to be honest that people here got the famine question wrong – we learned so much about it in school, and it had a huge effect on our recent social history.
    (By the way that other famine in the 1740s was caused by an extreme cold spell which effected the harvest; the question in the test was specifically about the potato famine.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

13 out of 15. Got the Wales one and the craftsmen one wrong. I'm now burning with curiosity to know what the story is with the carpenters. Why didn't they go to England? What was the consequence of them not going? I must know. :(

never hide from the truth....it rears up and kicks you in the bum....

imperial policies are only enforced by power....soldiers are power....not office wallahs......

what about all the irish who.....stole land from the australian and new zealand native people....

some of my relations there.....as there is in the usa and canada, and everywhere else....

there are even ex slaves with my irish name......wonder where they got that from....

god! the thought....my ancestors were slave owners...

now don't get annoyed.....it is only the truth...

Fail.

The reason a lot of African Americans have Irish names is, funnily enough, because 1 in 3 African Americans happen to have, dun dun dun, and Irish patriarchal ancestor, same reason why a lot of Black people in South Africa have Irish and Portuguese names, they have Irish and/or Portuguese patriarchal ancestors.

The English sent the Irish to Australlia, they also created the conditions in Ireland that lead to millions leaving this country to escape extreme poverty and military rule.

You can try side step reality and pass the blame but in the case military personal acting on orders form the highest levels of government it would be the heads of state along with the military leaders (all of whom would have been English) who are at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Laura_lolly87

i got 8. bit disappointing seeing as i'm a history student.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

11 here, chaps! Pip pip, what ho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

12/15! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Fail.

The reason a lot of African Americans have Irish names is, funnily enough, because 1 in 3 African Americans happen to have, dun dun dun, and Irish patriarchal ancestor, same reason why a lot of Black people in South Africa have Irish and Portuguese names, they have Irish and/or Portuguese patriarchal ancestors.

The English sent the Irish to Australlia, they also created the conditions in Ireland that lead to millions leaving this country to escape extreme poverty and military rule.

You can try side step reality and pass the blame but in the case military personal acting on orders form the highest levels of government it would be the heads of state along with the military leaders (all of whom would have been English) who are at fault.

Why are you certain they were English? Because you see these acts as terrible you are sure they couldn't have been sanctioned by a Welsh or Scottish politician or civil servant for example? :confused: Or do you just not know very much about the dynamics of the UK as a political entity?

• Advertisement

bwatson wrote: »
    Why are you certain they were English? Because you see these acts as terrible you are sure they couldn't have been sanctioned by a Welsh or Scottish politician or civil servant for example? :confused: Or do you just not know very much about the dynamics of the UK as a political entity?

Because the "United Kingdom" was ruled by Englishmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

4 and i lived there for 13 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

5 out of 15 / Really embarrassed to get the first one wrong! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Tope wrote: »
    Also I'm kinda surprised to be honest that people here got the famine question wrong – we learned so much about it in school, and it had a huge effect on our recent social history.
    I reckon the large number of people getting the famine question wrong is due to mistaking 18/19th century for 1800/1900s instead of 1700/1800s.

Because the "United Kingdom" was ruled by Englishmen.

Care to explain your use of inverted commas? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

11/15
    Not sure I see what the big deal is. Most of it is stuff from Junior Cert history and I did that over a decade ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Pedant wrote: »
    14 out of 15. I'm such a West Brit.

No your not !! Your just well educated , Whereas the comment below coming from an Irishman is just shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I got 7 out of 15 , i am actually surprised i did that well .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

What a bull**** test. What has most of those questions got to do with living in the UK? So what if you don't know your history, it doesn't mean you shouldn't be allowed to live in the country.

• Advertisement

charlemont wrote: »
    No your not !! Your just well educated , Whereas the comment below coming from an Irishman is just shocking.

Its not "shocking" at all.

Northern Ireland and the Northern Irish people are often regarded as British. The most respected of social and military historians, and the most prominent of political analysts often refer to the UK as Britain, to the people of the UK as the British with regard to all manner of things, from the Second World War to contemporary political disputes.

Geographically, we are not part of Great Britain. Politically, there is no question we are British.

Advertisement