Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

British Citizenship Test, Could you pass ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'm shocked at people not getting the famine one.
    Did you never listen to Christy??
    "1847 was the year it all began,
    Deadly pains of hunger drove a million from the land..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Farcheal

12-15

Think thats ok :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Holy Mother a God, I'm after gettin' 14 outta 15!!

*assimilates*

What ho then Paddies, don't even know when your own bloody famine* was then? :rolleyes:

*I'm actually really surprised so many people got that wrong, as it's such a major and constantly-referenced part of our history and, particularly, it's such a major part of the history curriculum. Hopefully some of the wrong answers are down to people getting mixed up between the 19th century and the 1900s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Farcheal

Holy Mother a God, I'm after gettin' 14 outta 15!!

*looks with suspicion :cool:

EDIT: to anyone wondering about the first one, Great Britain only refers to the Island of...Great Britain, which includes the nations of Scotland, Wales and England. The term British Isles is used when referring to Great Britain and Ireland etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

bwatson wrote: »
    Its not "shocking" at all.

Northern Ireland and the Northern Irish people are often regarded as British. The most respected of social and military historians, and the most prominent of political analysts often refer to the UK as Britain, to the people of the UK as the British with regard to all manner of things, from the Second World War to contemporary political disputes.

Geographically, we are not part of Great Britain. Politically, there is no question we are British.

There is no Britain politically though - that is why it is so shocking.

There are a lot of people in these islands who have no real comprehension of what Britain, Ireland and the UK are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Ficheall wrote: »
    Did you never listen to Christy??
    "1847 was the year it all began,
    Deadly pains of hunger drove a million from the land..."

Thats how I remembered that question..

12 / 15 which surprised me considering I was kicked from the history class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

I got 11. Yeah! Go me! Wait, what do i care? I'm Irish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Seaneh wrote: »
    Fail.

The reason a lot of African Americans have Irish names is, funnily enough, because 1 in 3 African Americans happen to have, dun dun dun, and Irish patriarchal ancestor, same reason why a lot of Black people in South Africa have Irish and Portuguese names, they have Irish and/or Portuguese patriarchal ancestors.

The English sent the Irish to Australlia, they also created the conditions in Ireland that lead to millions leaving this country to escape extreme poverty and military rule.

You can try side step reality and pass the blame but in the case military personal acting on orders form the highest levels of government it would be the heads of state along with the military leaders (all of whom would have been English) who are at fault.

australia has been an independant country since 1901........

but the british people are guilty of numerous crimes ...not a problem..the truth is the truth.........but so is all truth......

the french, germans, dutch, belgiums, spanish, austria, russia, and many many more..all had colonies......get all the truth out....

127 irishmen were at the little bighorn.....many more were at other indian villages when massacres took place......

yes, the world is guilty.........the truth must be all prevailing.....that is reality.....

i am sidestepping nothing......i am just a history buff from the liberties....

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

got 7.

No one can officially accuse me of being a West Brit anymore. :mad:

Edit: If any Irish person actually got the FAMINE question wrong than you are officially the worst thing ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Don't need to, born in birkenhead :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

charlemont wrote: »
    No your not !! Your just well educated , Whereas the comment below coming from an Irishman is just shocking.

No I'm not. I didn't know that there wasn't a booming trade for migrant carpenters working in Britain during the Middle Ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

10. Only one away from passing. :( 2, 4, 5, 8 and 10 were the ones I got wrong. At least I got the famine one right though!

/sadly puts away top hat, monocle and pipe.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I got 7. I just got the king/queen ones wrong. Everything else was right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

yes.....facts are great........and all the american indian land the irish stole.....oh and killed the indians......shall we go on.....

by the way....seventy percent of the british troops at the time of the bengal famine......were irish........

Where are you getting this stuff from?70% of British troops were Irish?

I cannot be bothered googling but I am 100% certain that statement cannot be true. From my limited knowledge of the imperial forces in India during WW2 most were Indian and british, some nepalese, but Irish?

I would also like to see your source for the irish settlers of the american west.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

12/15

.....godsaveourbritishqueengodsaveour....godsaveourqueen...

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I got 12.

I have no idea how. :confused:

I didn't do history since primary school. Seems like I read a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭dublinbusdude

I got.....6 of 15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭PandaX9

12.. I knew the answers to 5 and guessed the rest, woo me - definitely deserve a passport on that basis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

I'm sure I could, but that would only make me an infiltrator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I got 15

But I read a lot of historical fiction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

12 out of 15, didn't do history past Junior Cert.

God save our gracious queen, totally bodacious queen...

(those are the words, right?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Only 7. Not sure if that means I should move home or stay away....

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Here:

God Save The Queen (standard version)

God save our gracious Queen,

Long live our noble Queen,

God save The Queen

Send her victorious,

Happy and glorious,

Long to reign over us:

God save The Queen.

O Lord, our God, arise,

Scatter her enemies,

And make them fall.

Confound their politics,

Frustrate their knavish tricks,

On Thee our hopes we fix,

God save us all.

Thy choicest gifts in store,

On her be pleased to pour;

Long may she reign:

May she defend our laws,

And ever give us cause
    To sing with heart and voice
    God save The Queen!

When the monarch of the time is male, "Queen" is replaced with "King" and all female pronouns (emboldened) are replaced with male pronouns. In addition, the lyrics of the 3rd verse (italicised) are slightly modified to read: "With heart and voice to sing, God save the King".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 johnjoe7

You sheep have been watching too much wej garbabe on the indoctrination box.

I got 15 out of 15 correct, except the test is a sham because only 4 out of those 15 are true the rest are all lies to fit the agenda

99% of history is lies, they don't want you to know the truth of who you really are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Einhard wrote: »
    12/15

.....godsaveourbritishqueengodsaveour....godsaveourqueen...

:pac:

Apart from the fact that she's German. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

7, mostly random guessing. Why would there be a question about the Irish famine in a UK citizenship test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

delta36 wrote: »
    Why would there be a question about the Irish famine in a UK citizenship test?

Because Ireland was part of the UK at the time.

The same way all those death camps in Poland were part of Germany at the time and a question about them would be right to include on a German citizenship test.

The Germans admit to their genocide, no harm in the British acknowledging theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭crfcaio

I got 7/15 and I'm neither Irish nor British :pac:
    I'm so mad I missed the famine question, seems like I'm not as much of an Irish history/studies nerd as I thought I was :(

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TheBrinch

Got 5. But 85% of entire thing was guesswork :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

11 correct..oops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

I got 8, not too bad!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Can't get the answers up to see the ones I got wrong. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Got the famine question wrong embarrassingly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I got 5. I knew those 5 though, all my guesses were guessed wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

6/10, but the vast majority of Brits would score similarly or worse...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Wow got the first one and the Irish one wrong (said 18th century, didn't think:rolleyes:) so 4 overall:o

Tbh, I'd say I'd fail an Irish equivalent of this too. The only Irish history I was thought at school where things that never happened involving fionn mac cumhaill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

10/15

guess I can't be a Brit just yet:pac:

I'd love to see BNP voters would get on with that test though :p there's a lot of Brits who would be a long time trying to pass that test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Lollers wrote: »
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/blog/quiz/2012/jul/05/uk-citizenship-test

What ho, chaps.

You need more than 10 out of 15 correct to pass. I got 6.
    Can anyone top that, I'm guessing you can ?

Here's another British citizen test:

What language do you speak?
    :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

FISMA wrote: »

Fluent Irish?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Maybe there is something to the theory I'm not really Irish.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

13 TBH if you have even a passing interest in world history they're fairly easy questions. The two I missed were the laws imposed on the Welsh and the skilled workers one.
    6/10, but the vast majority of Brits would score similarly or worse...
    You might have done better if you did the 15 questions... :p:D I'd agree a goodly chunk of Brits would struggle. TBH I'd say a similar test here on Irish history would be equally struggling for many. They might even get more right on the UK one.
    FISMA wrote: »

Sheesh, the Yanks, Canucks, Ozzies and a few hundred million Indians, to name but five are gonna be shocked to wake up Brits in the morrow. Expect revolutions all over the place.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

You scored 11 out of a possible 15
    Congratulations! If this was the real British citizenship test you would have passed the 75% mark. Well done you! Feel free to keep your passport.
    He he.....I'm British.
    ♪♫ God Save our Glo-rious ♪♬..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Wibbs wrote: »
    13 TBH if you have even a passing interest in world history they're fairly easy questions. The two I missed were the laws imposed on the Welsh and the skilled workers one.
    So Wibbs my old adversary, you are slightly more British than myself.
    Care to join me in a chorus of Jerusalem? :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Trust the feckin English to have a much loved nationalist song with another nations capital in the title. That's how they got an empire. Crap at geography. They couldn't find home so planted flags wherever they ended up. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

14/15. Damn Carpenters.....

then again, I'm english.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

You scored 10 out of a possible 15

Commiserations - you failed the sample British history test (you needed more than 10 to pass). If this was the real citizenship test you would need to wait a week and pay £50 to take the test again, and hand over your British passport

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

11 right ... but I am English , some of those are really off the wall .

After all what has NATO got to do with being British ? and the skilled workers one is just weird

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You scored 10 out of a possible 15

Commiserations - you failed the sample British history test (you needed more than 10 to pass). If this was the real citizenship test you would need to wait a week and pay £50 to take the test again, and hand over your British passport

Some very random questions for 21st century UK living.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

13/15 for me, very basic general knowledge questions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement