Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

British Citizenship Test, Could you pass ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

Seaneh wrote: »
    Because the "United Kingdom" was ruled by Englishmen.

Celtic myth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

10 for me,i am surprised how many irishmen got good marks, is it that irishmen are obsessed with being british,i know if they did a irish test,i would doubt that i would get passed the leprecorns and ginger hair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

getz wrote: »
    10 for me,i am surprised how many irishmen got good marks, is it that irishmen are obsessed with being british,i know if they did a irish test,i would doubt that i would get passed the leprecorns and ginger hair

Are they little people with bad feet?:confused:

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Are they little people with bad feet?:confused:

:pac:
    i am sure that if they lived in britain they would have a national elf..service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Got 5

getz wrote: »
    i am sure that if they lived in britain they would have a national elf..service

It would be a bit of a tall order for them to move there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

11/15

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/britishr.jpg/

I passed. :cool:
    Slipped up on the independence question, didn't know the old name of Sri Lanka, the carpenter one and the Welsh law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

11 out of 15, but I am English. failed carpenters, introduced the NHS, i said a 1/4 died during black death and the english laws on the welsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭indioblack

Wibbs wrote: »
    Trust the feckin English to have a much loved nationalist song with another nations capital in the title. That's how they got an empire. Crap at geography. They couldn't find home so planted flags wherever they ended up. :D
    You mean Jerusalem isn't in England? Must be - saw it on Chariots of Fire.
    Somewhere near the Watford gap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

12 out of 15

80%

Some tricky enough ones in there. But, still, there's presumably a handbook like the driver theory test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

So seriously, no-one can tell me what the deal was with the carpenters? Did the people who got it right just take a guess?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

iguana wrote: »
    So seriously, no-one can tell me what the deal was with the carpenters? Did the people who got it right just take a guess?

My wild guess was that it was something to do with Britain being a forested island so that they didn't need foreign carpenters as their locals should have been skilled in woodwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Honest opinion

Seriously people how could you fail the Famine one?? Christ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Got 4 right, :-) or :-( ?

charlemont wrote: »
    My wild guess was that it was something to do with Britain being a forested island so that they didn't need foreign carpenters as their locals should have been skilled in woodwork.

Perhaps, but did they really have a large influx of canal builders at the time?:confused:

• Advertisement

Perhaps, but did they really have a large influx of canal builders at the time?:confused:

Its an interesting one alright, I'll have a read of some English history tonight when I get home as I'd like to find out more about this, It may all have something to do with Normandy as I think they still had the same King in those days. Its possible the English saw things they liked abroad and decided to bring some of those planners and architects to England to teach students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

11, couple of lucky 50/50 guesses between 2 options.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

There wasn't a lot of work for carpenters as they only had tree fellers supplying the wood.

:o

Its an interesting one alright, I'll have a read of some English history tonight when I get home as I'd like to find out more about this, It may all have something to do with Normandy as I think they still had the same King in those days. Its possible the English saw things they liked abroad and decided to bring some of those planners and architects to England to teach students.

I found the full sample test online and according to that there was an influx of Dutch canal builders in the mid-15th century. I checked canal building in Britain at that time and it wasn't popular at all, however moat building and improvements to existing rivers were. So as Britain didn't have canals, immigrant workers were needed to be able to do the work that there was demand for.

The other crafts mentioned were weavers, who came from France, and engineers from Germany. So I'm assuming you were right about the lack of immigrant carpenters being down to the fact that there was no shortage of skilled carpenters and no startling leap forward in European carpentry at the time that led to demand for those new skills in Britain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

I think it's a bit of a trick question. I mean who would travel after the black death?

Add to that the first canal wasn't built until th 18th century, weaving wasn't mechanised until then either.

Engineers? It's said that the 18th century was the "Greatest architectural era", so my answer was carpentry because of the black death!!!

Edit, you beat me to it iguana.

• Advertisement

I found the full sample test online and according to that there was an influx of Dutch canal builders in the mid-15th century. I checked canal building in Britain at that time and it wasn't popular at all, however moat building and improvements to existing rivers were. So as Britain didn't have canals, immigrant workers were needed to be able to do the work that there was demand for.

The other crafts mentioned were weavers, who came from France, and engineers from Germany. So I'm assuming you were right about the lack of immigrant carpenters being down to the fact that there was no shortage of skilled carpenters and no startling leap forward in European carpentry at the time that led to demand for those new skills in Britain.

Cool. Interesting stuff. So even back then England was utilising the skills of immigrants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

7 out of 15. Got the Irish famine question one wrong (goes to the corner to hide in shame) :o! I always get confused by centuries though! Always make that mistake '1800's = 18th century' - The embarrassment :pac:

I always get confused by centuries though! Always make that mistake '1800's = 18th century' - The embarrassment :pac:

Always have to think about that myself.

The Welsh had a rebellion in 1400 and after, I was surprised the answer to that question was later than the 14th century.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

the dutch came over to drain the fens........and they are now black rich earth.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

daltonmd wrote: »
    I think it's a bit of a trick question. I mean who would travel after the black death?

Add to that the first canal wasn't built until th 18th century, weaving wasn't mechanised until then either.

Engineers? It's said that the 18th century was the "Greatest architectural era", so my answer was carpentry because of the black death!!!

Edit, you beat me to it iguana.

It's not a trick question really. For example there were canals long before the 18th century. Often short ones to connect a navigable river to a site where something needed to be transported that would be difficult to do by land. Here is an example at Glasonbury from the 10th century.

Rascasse wrote: »
    It's not a trick question really. For example there were canals long before the 18th century. Often short ones to connect a navigable river to a site where something needed to be transported that would be difficult to do by land. Here is an example at Glasonbury from the 10th century.

glastonbury is in the somerset level (fens)....there was plenty of land under water there......mostly drained now.......

the dutch came over to drain the fens........and they are now black rich earth.....

Yes, the Isle of Ely used to be an island! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I got ten but two were outright guesses and one was a educated guess.

Yes, the Isle of Ely used to be an island! :pac:

yes, not many eels there now though....my son lives in the fens....lovely country.....the rivers are in some cases...40 foot above the land.....

many flemish/dutch weavers also settled there........just to get away from those nasty spanish catholics......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

I got 3 :cool:

****ing awesome I am :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I got 13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 maykitrayen

Poppycock, I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 twinge

I got 12...hoowee, I can be a British citizen (but aren't they British subjects?)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I got 7 :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

11. 2 guesses I got right though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I got 12 although the engineers was an educated guess.

amen wrote: »
    I got 12 although the engineers was an educated guess.

If you guessed 'engineers' you guessed wrong. The answer was carpenters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

Rascasse wrote: »

Sorry, I should clarify - that was my own reasoning for the answer. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭mrwhimwham

11 right. Guessing does have it's benefits!!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I got 11 too and I am British :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭chasm

I always get confused by centuries though! Always make that mistake '1800's = 18th century' - The embarrassment :pac:

I used to get caught out by that, but thanks to years of watching 20th Century Fox movies in the 1900's i sussed it out ;) (Jeez reread that and it makes me sound like an auld wan. . . 1900s lol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

10, which is a fail. I'm from NI.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

14 right. Get to hold on to my British Passport.:D Glad as i'm a Unionist.

chasm wrote: »
    I used to get caught out by that, but thanks to years of watching 20th Century Fox movies in the 1900's i sussed it out ;) (Jeez reread that and it makes me sound like an auld wan. . . 1900s lol)

Just add a 1 to the 1800 or whatever part, I still doubt myself and have to think about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Got 12.

I'm at your service, Your Majesty.

* Why is there a question on the IRISH Famine in there? It had no bearing on Britain. I know Ireland was part of the UK at the time, but i fail to see the relevance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Did anyone else tense up at the, "Which of these countries make up Great Britain?" question and think, "You'd better get this one right ye feckers!"

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Honest opinion

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Did anyone else tense up at the, "Which of these countries make up Great Britain?" question and think, "You'd better get this one right ye feckers!"

Any Irish person that failed that should be beaten to death with their own passports :pac: and the famine one as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I got 12. I expected it to be easier. There were a couple of lucky gueses in there..

Lyaiera wrote: »

I actually got that wrong and I should know better after it coming up so often in politics. The GB soccer team in the Olympics put me off, N.I. is included in that team so I'm claiming 12, not 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭strawberryb0y

Got ten, dont think thats too bad to be fair

• Advertisement
Advertisement