Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Composter

• 08-07-2012 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Whats the secret to a good composter ? Is using a barrel better than an open one using pallets. Is it important to cover the composter from the rain. Has anyone got good tips ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

i use pallets arranged in a square to get things started then turn the contents into a standard composting bin available from the council at a reasonable price. I use a 2 year process as i only empty the bin into the vegi patch in spring when I am preparing my beds.

http://www.mayococo.ie/en/Services/Environment/ReduceReuseRecycle/Composting/

I dont bother with cardboard or newspaper as they have their own recycling routes.
    I only put in a mower bag full of grass once every 4 weeks (maximum), less sometimes. Do not put too much grass in as it just turns to mush. Along the same lines big grassy leaves, like crocosmia, when dry dont compost down well, so only put in a few or shred.
    I dont put any stick bits or roots in as I find they dont compost well, perhaps ok if shredded first.
    Keep weed seeds and seed heads out of the compost.
    Use a good mix of garden waste and kitchen vegetable waste and spread stuff around the pallet bin.
    I dont cover the pallet bin but put a stone on the composter to ensure it stays closed to cook.
    Make sure that worms and soil bacteria have access to the bottom of the compost bin.
    I always leave a bit of the compost behind in the composter to get things started with the next batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MJordan

Whats the secret to a good composter ? Is using a barrel better than an open one using pallets. Is it important to cover the composter from the rain. Has anyone got good tips ??

Definitely keep out the rain.
    Try to get a 50/50 mix of greens (wet stuff) and browns (dry stuff)
    Depending on size of garden - if large is is good to have at least two mixes on the go at the same time and at different stages.
    Keep grass input balanced - too much and it goes to mush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

a shovel of soil with a few worms every few months works wonders.;) garden edges or stuff like that also helps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Sounds a bit gross but a dose of urine every so often will help things too!

Advertisement