Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Economics course?

• 08-07-2012 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm just finished fifth year and up until now, I haven't had a clue what I wanted to do after the Leaving. I am now seriously considering Journalism and Media. I was told that Economics is not essential, but helpful. I am not studying economics in school, but would it be possible to take it up now as an extra subject (outside school), and get the course done on time? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Diamondsandrose

Most definitley, economics is by far the fairest, shortest and most predictable subject. Not to mention how relevant and interesting it actually is in the real world, compared to learning Shakespeare that has no usefulness.

Economics would absolutely be helpful for journalism given how much coverage is based around the EU and politics in today's world. I would recommend giving it a go for sixth year as it's very manageable. Short questions worth 25% can all be learned by simply by doing every sq from the last ten years, definitions come up again and again. Learn them off by heart word for word they are of huge importance!

Then with the long questions, you are required to do four from eight. These are always very predictable from lookinng back on previous years. Remember there will always always always be at least one market structure and one factor of production question. For next year, national income is almost garunteed too, it didn't appear this year which is extremely rare, they will never leave it out two years in a row.

So yeah, go for it and remember to put in graphs (must be labelled) everywhere you can to back up your answers, write out every definition and know them like the back of your hand, research some current figures the week before the exam and practice practice practice every question from the last ten years, they really do tend to repeat themselves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭shinesun

Hi there, what book would you rec?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

There's a new book out called "Positive Economics" which is excellent! It's so up to date and it does out solutions to past exam questions at the end of every chapter! All the other economics books are very outdated and not laid our very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭shinesun

Cheers sounds great.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 RockyRainbow

Most definitley, economics is by far the fairest, shortest and most predictable subject. Not to mention how relevant and interesting it actually is in the real world, compared to learning Shakespeare that has no usefulness.

Economics would absolutely be helpful for journalism given how much coverage is based around the EU and politics in today's world. I would recommend giving it a go for sixth year as it's very manageable. Short questions worth 25% can all be learned by simply by doing every sq from the last ten years, definitions come up again and again. Learn them off by heart word for word they are of huge importance!

Thanks a mil :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement