Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legalities of bringing a mod back from UK

Options
  • 08-07-2012 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Going to CLA in 2 weeks and was looking to purchase a wildcat mod at the event. What will i need i.e licence,passport etc ? Also can i bring one home to Eire legally that is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Legally, it's exactly the same as bringing home a firearm (legally, a moderator is a firearm - see section one of the act). Licence and import licence, in other words.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

Sparks wrote: »
    Legally, it's exactly the same as bringing home a firearm (legally, a moderator is a firearm - see section one of the act). Licence and import licence, in other words.

Legal route when done;) do i have to show all that documents to the stall vender?

Spunk84 wrote: »
    Legal route when done;) do i have to show all that documents to the stall vender?

No, because it's not his responsibility. Mods aren't classed as firearms in the UK, so he needs no paperwork to sell to you. When you're stopped by customs because they spotted it in the x-ray machine though, you're going to be arrested for smuggling an illegal firearm.

Think of it this way - if you go to Amsterdam and buy some recreational narcotics, it's perfectly legal (provided you follow their laws, of course) and nobody gets upset. But try to bring them home with you and you're going to have one interesting flight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Surely the S on his licence will cover this?

No, because it's not his responsibility. Mods aren't classed as firearms in the UK, so he needs no paperwork to sell to you.

Class good to know,well of course i will be going to the "legal" way but its good to know he doesnt need any paper work
    When you're stopped by customs because they spotted it in the x-ray machine though, you're going to be arrested for smuggling an illegal firearm.

he would want a huge x-ray machine for the way im getting there:D

i have the S on there so i may as well bring the licence with me too. I was thinking it was like birr you show up with money and you work away kinda thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Chesapeake

Mods aren't classed as firearms in the UK, so he needs no paperwork to sell to you..

Not entirely true Sparks, Mods are classed as an accessory in the UK not a firearm :), But, You do need paperwork :(.
    Mods are a ticket item in the UK, and you cannot legally possess a moderator unless you have the authority on your firearm certificate (UK FAC).
    Your Irish licence will mean nothing if its discovered.
    Most RFD's will happily send to an RFD here (for a small fee).

As I understand it, the S will act as the licence and cover him for possession of the mod, but you still need an import licence because it's the entry point of the mod into the legal paperwork system. I'd be sure to check with the DoJ if it was me though, and get it in writing (or email).

Chesapeake wrote: »
    Not entirely true Sparks, Mods are classed as an accessory in the UK not a firearm :), But, You do need paperwork :(.
    Thanks for that Chesapeake, you saved someone a nasty shock there :D All I was thinking about was the arrival home in Dublin Airport :D

could always say it is a bmx stunt nut:D ahhahaa
    430526.jpg

Advertisement