Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballpark ideas please? Renovations jobs...

Options
  • 08-07-2012 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. :)

Looking at a 1100 sq ft terraced house, 3-bed, built 1970s. It’s in bad condition but no apparent structural damage.

I’m hoping to get some really rough ideas for pricing on various jobs.

I understand that prices vary greatly from job to job, but right now I’m just looking for ballpark figures to help me weigh things up! :D

My budget is 40-50 grand, and I’m trying to figure out if it is doable.

I would like to get the house in reasonable condition, though nothing too fancy is required. The house is completely empty.

Here are some ballpark figures I’ve been given.
    Q
    Do they sound relatively accurate/reasonable?

Plumbing.
    New heating system including around 7 rads.
    Other possible plumbing/piping upgrades in kitchen/bathroom.

Electrics.
    Rewire to a reasonable standard.

Double glazed windows
    Approx 4 large and 2 small windows to be double glazed.

New kitchen worktops etc
    Modern, but nothing fancy, with tiled or semi solid wood floor.

Bathroom
    Cheap and cheerful white bath/sink/toilet and maybe some tiling.

Floors.
    Semi solid wooden floor for living room, and basic carpets in bedrooms and stairs etc.

Garden and skips
    Large skip. Remove briars in rear garden, with some paid help perhaps.

New Doors for bedrooms, living room, and a front door.

Miscelanious:

TOTAL
    _________

Is that optimistic?

Q
    Also, are there any other costs I may have not already taken into consideration. Thanks.

Thanks for any help with this!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭scwazrh

That's fairly realistic.I started a refurb last Monday for a 3 bed end of terrace in dublin with similar works list and the total cost is €45k inc vat.

One thing you haven't mentioned is plastering and insulation. You need to consider internal or external wall insulation and then your attic and floors .

Pm me I you would like some detailed prices.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

condra wrote: »
    Hi everyone. :)

Looking at a 1100 sq ft terraced house, 3-bed, built 1970s. It’s in bad condition but no apparent structural damage.

I’m hoping to get some really rough ideas for pricing on various jobs.

I understand that prices vary greatly from job to job, but right now I’m just looking for ballpark figures to help me weigh things up! :D

My budget is 40-50 grand, and I’m trying to figure out if it is doable.

I would like to get the house in reasonable condition, though nothing too fancy is required. The house is completely empty.

Here are some ballpark figures I’ve been given.
    Q
    Do they sound relatively accurate/reasonable?

4. New kitchen worktops etcModern, but nothing fancy, with tiled or semi solid wood floor.5k
    5. BathroomCheap and cheerful white bath/sink/toilet and maybe some tiling.3k
    6. Floors.Semi solid wooden floor for living room, and basic carpets in bedrooms and stairs etc.4k
    7. Garden and skipsLarge skip. Remove briars in rear garden, with some paid help perhaps. 3k
    8. New Doors for bedrooms, living room, and a front door.2k
    9. Miscelanious:5k
    10. TOTAL40k_________
    11. Is that optimistic?
    12. QAlso, are there any other costs I may have not already taken into consideration. Thanks.

Thanks for any help with this!!
    1. cant say
    2. ditto
    3. they'll be cheap uPVC then? double that for timber or alu-clad
    4. separate the floors from the kitchen. you could have 1k of wiring in there alone. 5g is very straight forward kitchen. you need to give a msq on flooring
    5. you need to quantify the tilling and chances of plumbing issues
    6. ye maybe again you should be giving m/ or ftsq
    7. anyone's guess
    8. how many doors?
    9. renovations: absolute min contingency 10% - 20% would be advisable
    10. are you intending to get one main contractor to do all this? or are you going to project manage the different trades - this will be the difference between your budget being realistic of fantasy imho
    11. as per 10
    12. yes, what they are would be best deciphered on site

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Thanks a million for the replies.

I had a feeling the 40 grand mark might be optimistic, but I’m glad to see it’s not wildly naive.

Next I need to figure out what order to do things in, and whether or not to hire a builder to oversee all tasks, or to try address things one by one.

Advertisement