Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best broadband in Dundalk, Co Louth

• 08-07-2012 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi!

I am on Smart now for 5 years! At first this was very good and on 2 PC's with wired lan and 2 smartphones connected over home wi-fi internet was quite good for DSL connection... Now Internet is so slow like a snail even though i have up to 24mbps connection i have had problems with this company for 2 years now! Every 2 months i need to ring them, shout, say very bad word's to them and the internet then ''magically'' improves and for few weeks speed is normal(not good) but after few weeks speed is going down down down untl again i dont ring them and shout to them! And im so fed up with this and i think that it is not proper service that i have to pay 40eur/month..

Speedtest:
    2051999255.png
    (As i saye'd after the call speedtest shows about 7mb/s down and 0.95mb/s up) But speed is only dropping and dropping until speed is like this...

Im looking into magnet simply broadband now(up to 24mbps).. Is it good? Maybe there is any better connections here in Dundalk that you can suggest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 LooNeYlv

HEEELOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Salvation

Where are you in Dundalk, the further from the exchange the worse the speed will be.

Magnet is not available in Dundalk.

Digiweb metro 30MB is available is very limited parts of the town.

All DSL providers will give you the exact same speed as your speed is determined by your distance from the exchange (Ramparts in the town)

Stay away from imagine wimax as they are crap.

net1 is an option but little or no support, little or no customer services and provide cheap crappy equipment and you are limited to line of site, eg castletown road high site and the one in ravensdale.

If you are on the up to 24MB package it is a sliding profile and is what your modem sync's at after reboot, if you login to the router it should give you the profile your syc'd at.

You could possibly have an issue with the router, I find the smart provided router is muck, hence I use my own Belkin N150 and works fine.

Salvation wrote: »
    Where are you in Dundalk, the further from the exchange the worse the speed will be.

Magnet is not available in Dundalk.

Digiweb metro 30MB is available is very limited parts of the town.

All DSL providers will give you the exact same speed as your speed is determined by your distance from the exchange (Ramparts in the town)

Stay away from imagine wimax as they are crap.

net1 is an option but little or no support, little or no customer services and provide cheap crappy equipment and you are limited to line of site, eg castletown road high site and the one in ravensdale.

If you are on the up to 24MB package it is a sliding profile and is what your modem sync's at after reboot, if you login to the router it should give you the profile your syc'd at.

You could possibly have an issue with the router, I find the smart provided router is muck, hence I use my own Belkin N150 and works fine.

I live in woodville manor..

Do you also have Smart? And if yes what speeds are you getting?

Now I get about 2.5Mb/s :D Speed is dropping and dropping
    2072069365.png

Yesterday i called them almost discharged my 10eur top up and the only thing i got from them is that he sayed that 2-3mb/s on it's customers is VERY good and the phone line in my house probably is to long(by his words it should be less than a meter from home phone port to modem) but I have about 5m because line port is at first floor but modem is at the second... What a bullshh.... He did someting say that today speed should be better but nothing changed... Will buy new top up and now i wont be as polite as I was... It is just unacceptable!

LooNeYlv wrote: »
    I live in woodville manor..

Do you also have Smart? And if yes what speeds are you getting?

Now I get about 2.5Mb/s :D Speed is dropping and dropping
    2072069365.png

Yesterday i called them almost discharged my 10eur top up and the only thing i got from them is that he sayed that 2-3mb/s on it's customers is VERY good and the phone line in my house probably is to long(by his words it should be less than a meter from home phone port to modem) but I have about 5m because line port is at first floor but modem is at the second... What a bullshh.... He did someting say that today speed should be better but nothing changed... Will buy new top up and now i wont be as polite as I was... It is just unacceptable!

If your in Woodville Manor your closer to the exchange than I am, I am currently get just a tad bit under 10MB out of 24MB, which is great.

If I were you I would give smart a call also maybe ask for them to provide a new router although I prefer my Belkin.

But your nearly 1km closer to the exchange than I am so in theory you should be getting around 17MB, as your around 1.9km from the exchange on the ramparts.

If your in Woodville Manor your closer to the exchange than I am, I am currently get just a tad bit under 10MB out of 24MB, which is great.

If I were you I would give smart a call also maybe ask for them to provide a new router although I prefer my Belkin.

But your nearly 1km closer to the exchange than I am so in theory you should be getting around 17MB, as your around 1.9km from the exchange on the ramparts.

I got a new modem/router - Philips CGA5722 from a friend because he dosent use it and wanted to test if it is the smart's modems fault( :D dont want to spend like 50 or 60eur for another modem if it isn't the modems fault at the end)... Set up'd and the speed looks like this -
    2078138044.png
    I think For upto 10Mbps connection it is good! What connection have you? I have looked into smarts webpage and for this 10Mbps connection I pay 40.61Eur BUT I looked into this 24Mbps connection for 29.95Eur (My parents dont call anywhere and they even dont have home phone connected so they only need broadband)... Is this 24mbps better than 10mbps connection now I have?
    On the papers it is much better - Lower monthly pay, higher down/up speeds and much more limit but Is it better in real time?

If it helps my smart modem is - Thomson TG585 v8 :rolleyes: Is it good or bad? :D I guess bad.... I personally dont know because i dont live in Ireland but my parents do and while im here i want to get over with this speed issue for smooth and normal skype videochats :D Not pixels like it was...

Big big thanks for the big help... Now I know the slow speed cause! Now I want to know about the strange connection plans :)

• Advertisement

Switch to the new plan it is a sliding profile so it will sync at a different speed each time up to what your line or modem can handle, it also takes over night if your with smart.

Switch to the new plan it is a sliding profile so it will sync at a different speed each time up to what your line or modem can handle, it also takes over night if your with smart.

Jup just called and changed the connection.. and the operator sayed that the change will be tommorow...

BIG BIG THANKS FOR YOU HELP SALVATION! :cool:

Your Welcome :)

Advertisement