Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card dilemma...

Options
  • 08-07-2012 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

I come seeking the wise thoughts of this forum...
    Ok, so not exactly a dilemma but an itch:

I currently have two 5850's in crossfire.
    I have a Gigabyte Z68 UD3H-B3 (Rev 1.3) motherboard and the i5-2500k processor.

I've had this setup a few months now.
    I think I would like to move back to a one card setup for both power consumption and scaling reasons.
    Also a bit more space in my case and easier cable management would be nice.

Let's say I managed to sell the two 5850's for 200 euro altogether.
    Plus add another 50 euro, would I be able to find, for 250 euro, a card that outperforms 5850's in crossfire?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Doubt it, the only real option you have is to pick up a HD7850 and OC it to death! It'd perform around the same level of a 7950 then.

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I didn't want to say it on your ad but why would someone pay €140 for a second hand 5850 when you can buy a brand new 6870 for that money?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Heya, honestly not expecting to get that amount, but I believe it is always a good idea to start higher and work down, certainly won't work the other way around!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭pcadvice

if you only play wow crossfire/sli is of no use

Umm, hey, did you post in the right thread?!
    I currently have a crossfire setup and do not play wow...
    But thanks for the message!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Well GLWS but it puts people off as they assume there is something up. Everyone expects a bit of play in the price but €140 is around 1.5 times what they're worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

People should stop this stupid overpricing of stuff.
    I sold my gtx570 on adverts in 1 hour, there were 2 more people inline to get it too. You know why? Because it was priced well and no added on price.

Price them as much as they worth as most people ( including me ) will just ignore your ad, if it has stupid price tag.

As for your gpu setup. Get yourself a single 7850 and OC that bastard. It will be a way more efficient setup then 2x5850

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭pcadvice

Shy_Dave! wrote: »
    Umm, hey, did you post in the right thread?!
    I currently have a crossfire setup and do not play wow...
    But thanks for the message!

no, you neglected to say what games you play. i was giving an example that in some games crossfire/sli is of no use and you would be better off with a 1 card setup anyway!

Thank You, you should have just said that in the first place pcadvice.
    I neglected to list games I play, so I apologize for that.

We are talking about:
    BF3
    Skyrim
    Arkham City
    Quite a few others but they are not very gpu taxing.

As for the gpu selling, Thank You all for the advice, but I think of it differently so we can all have our own opinions on that!

How easy are the 7850's to overclock?
    Or should I rephrase and ask if they reach a good overclock without too much voltage being pumped into it?

Advertisement