Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doors, Skirting and architrave price.

Options
  • 08-07-2012 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi folks, I'm Looking for ideas and prices/places for doors, skirting and architrave. I was thinking of a golden oak or light oak colour. Any help or suggestions appreciated. Munster area but I'm open to any option.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Bought all our doors in Haldine & Fisher, delivered to us also. Think they came in at roughly 120. This was 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

Bought mine in handles and hinges in Midleton. deanta doors for 120 yo yos each

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

I fitted a house of Deanta doors last week, and I was unimpressed with the quality. They were the pre-primed for painting ones, and the edges were mdf, with absolute crapwood inside. I wouldnt be placing any money on how long they're going to survive with kids slamming them, being hit with furniture etc.

Go to any of the big hardware suppliers, and if you're looking for oak doors, be sure to read the literature about them.
    'Solid oak' usually means an oak veneer over lesser quality oak,- which is a very good door, but be aware that if the veneer is damaged, the oak inside wont look exactly the same.

'Solid wood' = veneer over complete crap inside. Not great.

Chipboard composite cored doors are the best for veneering, because the consistency would be the same throughout for attaching ironmongery, and the door more likely to survive dents and dinks over its life.

All doors apart from pine/red deal ones should have a hardwood strip around the edges to allow for some planing to fit, and to survive the wear and tear they will go through.

Veneered MDf skirting and architrave looks well, and is more than adequately hard wearing for a domestic house, - you'd pay a fortune for solid oak skirting, and to be honest, its not worth the extra money unless you're doing a really high end job.

You dont mention doorframes, but if you're fitting oak doors, skirting and architrave, then the frames ought to match. Its difficult to stain or dye pine/deal frames to the same colour as the oak around them. Oak veneered mdf frames would be ok, and wont cost you an arm and a leg, but you need a good carpenter to install them correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

Mine were oak rather than the preprimed white ones.

My builders a joiner by trade and neither of us thought that they were a rolls royce door but for €120 each the quality was good with the strips as described by the poster above. My architrave frames and skirting are veneered oak. That is an oak veneer on top of laminated oak strips. It was about 25% more expensive than the oak veneer MDF.

I have three young kids and a hungry collie and the doors and joinery look as well as they did when they were fitted six months ago. Much of the "oak" mdf you get is vinyl wrapped on MDF and although it is a nice bit cheaper and it looks fine on installation it wears very badly particlularly in high traffic areas. I've lived in a house with the MDF variant and it looked really rough particularly as there is no way to patch it.

I'd say get some samples of what you think you'd like. Zero in on that and then ring around. The previous supplier I mentioned didn't advertise their prices but they matched the best prices I could get from around the country ( I checked 15+ suppliers) and as they are within a few miles of me they were the ones I went with. I found them fine to deal with too and I was able to negotiate on the door furniture and other bits and pieces as I was spending relatively big money with them.

I would just like to add for clarity that I am in no way associated with or in any way benefit from that business.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭about2build

How would white oak doors with white painted poplar skirting and architrave?? grain would be different but noticeable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 danq81

Check out doorstore.co.uk solid oak shakers doors £60 oils VAT,they deliver too the republic as well,all prices on the website.

Advertisement