Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to perth

Options
  • 08-07-2012 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi there, myself and my other half are moving to Perth from Ireland, we will be on a permanent residents. I am trying to work out what our monthly outgoings will be for living in Perth. We will be on a salary of $60,000.

Rent $2,000 (max for us)
    Food $500
    Electric bill $150
    Gas $50
    Broadband/phone $100
    Water rates $100

Are there any other taxes or things that we need to consider? There are only 2 of us, no kids. I think we can manage on $60,000 per year....

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Is that $60k each? If it is you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭montzarella

No, not $60k each, that will be between the two of us. Do u think we will both struggle to live on that? We are not part people, we live a pretty quiet life, we dont do the pub scene or going out much at all, usually entertain at home. im hoping we can live on this

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

I didn't think you paid water rates as a tenant. You will probably pay for water used and I would be surprised is you were using anything close to $100 per month. Transport costs haven't been included.

I think you can live on this but it will be a quiet life. Your rent will be your biggest expense, probably more than have your earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Do you mind me asking what work you'll be doing to earn what is, imo, a low amount for two people? If it's part time work then fair enough.

You will be able to survive but, as ellaq says, your rent will take up a large amount of that. How will you get to work? Will you be running a car at all? If not then factor in a fair wedge for bus/train fares too.

With regard to water rates, some landlords will try stick it in to the lease agreement but you should try negotiate it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭ObviouslyJesus

i hope you have big issue retail experience cos on that money over here , you wont last pi$$ing time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Is that 60K before or after tax? If before I'd look for a different job mate!

im on 57k after tax and im just about comfortable , in the sense i dont have to wait for pay day but im not able to save a whole load either.
    you cant take a $hite in perth without it costing you something

Ok, let me explain a bit better. My other half will be nursing and earning €60k a year, so tax has to come out of that. We had figured about $12k tax has to come out of that, is that roughly it? Or are we way off?

I will be job hunting once we get over there, her job will be there on arrival so we are guaranteed her income (plus we will have minimum of $5k savings, this is after we pay bond for rents etc.)

We dont intend to have a car, not at first anyway, so i will need to figure in commuting costs. I want to see if we can live on just the $60k in the event that if I have trouble finding work. I know we have some savings to fall back on but i would like to leave them for rainy days if we can at all.

I will be looking for insurance, admin, office type work. My background here is in medical insurance.

Rent $2,000 (max for us)
    Food $500
    Electric bill $150
    Gas $50
    Broadband/phone $100
    Water rates n/a
    Commute $100 (for both...or just one of us???)

Are there any other costs I need to factor in here? Would $100 dollars for commute cover us both? we intend to live walking or cycling distance from the hospital, so only one of us will be out commuting charges.

Any advice is appreciated, this is a big step for us and we are trying to prepare for the financial worst, if you like, when we are over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Furniture.......most places are unfurnished overhere.

Have a look at the transperth site for commuting costs. I believe they just went up again. I guess you are planning to live within zone 1.

Furniture, thanks - we have money for that already accounted for so it wont be out of our monthly living budget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

I really think ye will struggle on that.

I'm on slightly less than that but my rent is only half what you estimate and my bus ticket is only $17 per week and I'm only living comfortably.

If I had to support someone else, we'd be screwed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's doable but you will seriously struggle and she may resent having to support you if you don't find work straight away.

Also, there is no gas in Perth AFAIK and you'd struggle to get a decent one-bedroom in the city (zone 1) for $450 a week.

you sound hesitsnt/reluctant about finding employment
    believe me when you get here and see first hand the actual cost of living you wont be long looking for even labouring work
    fair play on your missus getting a job, lets just hope you dont end up sponging off her too long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

I stayed in Subiaco for a number of months a few years ago, lovely place but money just WALKS from your wallet..very nice place but very over priced even compared to Ireland.

believe me when you get here and see first hand the actual cost of living you wont be long looking for even labouring work
    fair play on your missus getting a job, lets just hope you dont end up sponging off her too long

I do beg your parden...I have no intention of "sponging off her to long".

I have been working since I left school at 18 and have never claimed any unemployment benefit in this Ireland and I do not intend to stop working now at 37yrs of age to "sponge" off my partner. You have this totally wrong. I am absolutely not hesitant or reluctant to find work.

As she will have work when we go over we know that straight off we have this one income, so depending on how long it takes me to find work, we want to see if we can live off this without using our savings if we can. That is all...Not about me being a sponger at all, very very far from it. Just trying to be realistic about our finances is all.

*Mini rant over

stop being negative in that case and think positively, think when rather if you get that job
    i was out of work three years back home, i arrived here, resisted the temptation to do the backpacker/going on the lash. got suited and booted every morning, used my smartphone and google maps and found my way into the city and registered with every recruitment company. by thursday i had sat two interviews,by friday i had two offers.
    the minute you arrive, put yourself out there, theres enough work here for everyone despite what the workshy backpackers say cos theyre too hungover to get out of the scratcher cos they spent all weekend in kips like the cure or rosie o gradys. you'll be fine but just be realistic, it costs money to live here but you can also make good money and have a fantastic lifestyle. good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

I do beg your parden...I have no intention of "sponging off her to long".

I have been working since I left school at 18 and have never claimed any unemployment benefit in this Ireland and I do not intend to stop working now at 37yrs of age to "sponge" off my partner. You have this totally wrong. I am absolutely not hesitant or reluctant to find work.

As she will have work when we go over we know that straight off we have this one income, so depending on how long it takes me to find work, we want to see if we can live off this without using our savings if we can. That is all...Not about me being a sponger at all, very very far from it. Just trying to be realistic about our finances is all.

*Mini rant over

Ye will be fine. Ye have the luxury of one of ye having secured employment. This means that ye can settle down properly and organise an apartment etc. Most couples come over without having any work organised and get on just fine.

Thanks guys. I guess we are just anxious about moving, such a big thing for us to do now, both late 30's and have good jobs here, just want a different lifestyle, a new challenge, but at the same time its scary.

I will definitely be on the job hunt from the minute i arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bheart65

Hi Montzarella,

Just a couple of links for you to help put the mind at ease re the work situation.

Here's the local Health Insurance company HBF - very well known and respected over there. Not sure of your level of experience or when you're heading over but there's a couple of jobs on here:-
    http://www.hbf.com.au/careers/index.html

Here's a link to some jobsites who have loads of general admin positions:-

http://www.seek.com.au/JobSearch?DateRange=3&Refinement=DateListed&Keywords=&location=1009&industry=6251&SearchType=Refinement

other ones are westjobs.com.au and careerone.com.au etc.

So don't worry so much, you should be grand. Allow a little extra for food, though, as it's pretty expensive.

Take care and enjoy your new life!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

stop being negative in that case and think positively, think when rather if you get that job
    i was out of work three years back home, i arrived here, resisted the temptation to do the backpacker/going on the lash. got suited and booted every morning, used my smartphone and google maps and found my way into the city and registered with every recruitment company. by thursday i had sat two interviews,by friday i had two offers.
    the minute you arrive, put yourself out there, theres enough work here for everyone despite what the workshy backpackers say cos theyre too hungover to get out of the scratcher cos they spent all weekend in kips like the cure or rosie o gradys. you'll be fine but just be realistic, it costs money to live here but you can also make good money and have a fantastic lifestyle. good luck with it
    what a pioneer you are:rolleyes:
    to say he sounded reluctant to look for work was strange and to talk about him sponging off his wife was ignorant and rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod There is a rule on the forum that says 'be civil' this post is just rude. So follow that rule or stop posting here.

• Advertisement

if you dont like my honesty than ban me

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

I do not intend to stop working now at 37yrs of age to "sponge" off my partner.
    *Mini rant over

Do you mind me asking what type of Visa you are coming out on as your over 30???

My partner is a nurse on the skills list so we will be applying for a permanent resident visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

My partner is a nurse on the skills list so we will be applying for a permanent resident visa.

PR or 457? The difference being PR entitles you to Medicare, 457 does not...in which case I would strongly recommend private health insurance which you will need to factor into the equation as an additional $150-200 per month.

PR, so we should have medicare.

Advertisement