Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help relating to Landlord issue

Options
  • 08-07-2012 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some advice re an issue im having at the moment with the landlord of an apartment im renting.

To give some backround-moved into the apartment near on 2 months now.Dealt with a letting agent and signed a lease for 6 months.

Apartment is perfect except for one issue-the sofa's.

2 leather sofas and they are in a terrible state-leather constantly falling off them and they are a real eye sore.

The letting agent advised that these would be changed before i moved in.Then just before i signed the lease he said that they would be changed in a week or so after i moved in.

2 months later,still not changed!

Have contacted the landlord numerous times over the 2 months,left text messages,voicemails etc.One occasion i did manage to get through he said he'd ring me back in a day or 2 with definite details of when i'd have the new furniture.He never came back to me.

He is now not answering or returning any of my calls.

My rent for the month is now due and i dont want to lodge anything until this issue is resolved.(He has a months deposit belonging to me)

I took up the lease on the proviso that the furniture was sorted ASAP.

Very pi**ed off with the situation

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

If its just the leather and the sofa is still okay to sit on then you could buy a throw for it, but I dont think thats the answer your looking for

Firstly learn a lesson if EA or LL ever say they will change furniture before you move in and it hasent been done then dont hand over any money, lots give this line and never do a thing about it once they have their money its f*ck you really

You can withhold the rent its always the most efficient way for them to get in touch with you when they are avoiding your call, hit them where it hurts most and all, however beware of evictions procedures and that threshold and the PRTB will not help you if your not playing by the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭OnlyGotOneSong

edellc wrote: »
    If its just the leather and the sofa is still okay to sit on then you could buy a throw for it, but I dont think thats the answer your looking for

Firstly learn a lesson if EA or LL ever say they will change furniture before you move in and it hasent been done then dont hand over any money, lots give this line and never do a thing about it once they have their money its f*ck you really

You can withhold the rent its always the most efficient way for them to get in touch with you when they are avoiding your call, hit them where it hurts most and all, however beware of evictions procedures and that threshold and the PRTB will not help you if your not playing by the rules

Thanks for that...Ya have tried the throws thing but in fairness the furniture is in a terrible state,and the throws dont make a difference.

Have sent the LL a text and told him that i want this issue sorted before i lodge any rent.Any point in getting on to Letting Agent?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Did you get it in writing that the furniture would be changed before/shortly after you moved in? If its not in writing then unfortunately you do not have a case to start withholding rent, and it will only put you in a position of being in the wrong.

Even if you do have written evidence of such an agreement you should never withhold rent as a means of making a point with a landlord; Threshold/PRTB will be the first people to advise against that plan of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭OnlyGotOneSong

djimi wrote: »
    Did you get it in writing that the furniture would be changed before/shortly after you moved in? If its not in writing then unfortunately you do not have a case to start withholding rent, and it will only put you in a position of being in the wrong.

Even if you do have written evidence of such an agreement you should never withhold rent as a means of making a point with a landlord; Threshold/PRTB will be the first people to advise against that plan of action.

Nothing in writing,just a verbal agreement with the Letting Agent that they be changed ASAP. Its noted on the tenancy agreement that the couches are worn....thats it.

Shouldnt have moved in before they were changed but the Letting Agent advised that the landlord would sort it quickly and i took his word on that.

Advertisement