Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Socks

Options
  • 08-07-2012 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Anyone have any recommendations for the best socks to wear for longer distance running? I am wearing the Nike free 3s at the moment so that might impact on sock choice or indeed whether or not one should wear socks at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Runner2012 wrote: »
    Anyone have any recommendations for the best socks to wear for longer distance running? I am wearing the Nike free 3s at the moment so that might impact on sock choice or indeed whether or not one should wear socks at all?

1000 mile double layer are supposed to be great. I have been using these for about 2 years and I have got only 1 or two blisters but I don't think any socks could have stopped it. http://www.ebay.ie/itm/3-Pairs-More-Mile-London-Sports-Ankle-Running-Socks-Mens-Ladies-/170720175467?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Sports_Clothing_LE&var=&hash=item6d70e4ca37 I got them off ebay. Double layer ones seem like a lot when I don't need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

I agree with rom. 1000 mile socks are good. I still get blisters in them though if I am wearing the wrong runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

lidl/aldi running socks are great for everyday running. If i was doing a long LSR or a marathon i find the nike dri-fit ones very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I use smartwool myself and have never had any blisters even after 6 hour runs. Have also heard good things about injinji toesocks

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Smartwool are very good, but even with them I had blister problems on the 24hr Rogaine last year. This year I wore Injini liner toe socks underneath and survived a very soggy 24 hours blister free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

More mile socks from start fitness are quality, never gotten blisters or other bothers with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭moggie4000

rom wrote: »
    1000 mile double layer are supposed to be great. I have been using these for about 2 years and I have got only 1 or two blisters but I don't think any socks could have stopped it. http://www.ebay.ie/itm/3-Pairs-More-Mile-London-Sports-Ankle-Running-Socks-Mens-Ladies-/170720175467?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Sports_Clothing_LE&var=&hash=item6d70e4ca37 I got them off ebay. Double layer ones seem like a lot when I don't need them.
    Just bought these, will let you know what they're like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

another +1 for 1000 mile.
    I've been using them for the last few years (the light tri ones), used to use nike dri-fit before that.
    Tried the lidl/aldi ones but got blisters on long runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭carlton36

b.harte wrote: »
    another +1 for 1000 mile.
    I've been using them for the last few years (the light tri ones), used to use nike dri-fit before that.
    Tried the lidl/aldi ones but got blisters on long runs.
    I've worn (the expensive) Xtreme socks previously and have got the dreaded blood blisters, then switched to 1,000 mile and have noticed soreness but not the blisters since. I'd say if you have ongoing problems, then check shoe size, and look at swelling in the foot for longer races as a root cause and also if your 'second toe' is longer than your big toe. Otherwise, make sure you have plenty of vaseline or body glide on your toes. Good luck.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

tang1 wrote: »
    More mile socks from start fitness are quality, never gotten blisters or other bothers with them.

Yep, these socks are great and you get a pair free with shoes from start as well. Have a few pairs of these and find them great. Though I'm lucky that I can wear any socks problem free.

Find those 1000 mile socks fairly awful though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Socks are like shoes - everyone has a favourite.

1000 mile would be one of the market leaders with their fusion socks very popular(achilles protection and anti blister.

Hilly also do a double layered sock. http://www.hillyclothing.co.uk/socks

Thorlo have a new sock called the experia which is more padded on the heel and ball area. http://www.thorlo.com/experia-socks.php

I prefer a thin race sock for training and racing.hilly mono skin works well and certain nike ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

I'm wearing nike free 3 and the 1000 mile socks. I wore them with asics too. I never had a problem with the asics but I blister in the nikes after an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Like the look of those injinji socks. Are they sold anywhere in Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

For normal training runs, I wear ALDI/LIDL socks. Great value for the money, but I do find that I poke a hole in them after a year or so. For races, I have a couple of pairs of X-socks that I find great. They're expensive (but I've paid for them mostly out of race prizes), but great for something like a marathon where you just don't want anything to go wrong. They last me years though, so pay for themselves over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Anyone have an opinion on cheap cotton sock with good shoes?

No problem myself to date, but just starting into the LSRs so wouldn't be surprised if things start to change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭oheilis

+1 for 1000 mile socks. Find them great been using them for years over a variety of distances and no problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

murphd77 wrote: »
    Anyone have an opinion on cheap cotton sock with good shoes?

No problem myself to date, but just starting into the LSRs so wouldn't be surprised if things start to change.

The risk with cotton socks is that sweat will make the socks wet, and they more likely to have rough edges which might rub.

Here a quote from a previous post about blisters.

To get blisters you need 3 things
    1. heat
    2. moisture
    3. friction
    eliminate even one of these and you won't get blisters.
    1. ventilated shoes and not running in the sahara will help with this but it's the most difficult to eliminate completely as your feet are already quite warm and running makes them more so
    2. wicking socks (and ventilation again) will help with this. Socks a personal thing. I love toesocks and hilly thin skins but many boardsies swear by twin skins. Try a few types to see what works for you.
    3. proper fit is the key to avoiding friction. get your trainers properly fitted by someone who knows what they are talking about (not the work experience guy on Saturdays in lifestyle sports). learn how to lace your shoes for running. Many of us have dodgy feet (in my case second toe longer than big toe), buy your shoes accordingly.

You might be fine, but with long runs, cheap socks increase the risk factors for blisters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

The ones I recommend seem fine up to 10M races but have got blisters in the last 2 1/2's with them. Never got any on a training run with them on runs up to 22M though. Going to go with something better for races.

Advertisement