Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Registering Second Hand Iphone

• 08-07-2012 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi there,

I purchased a second hand Iphone 4s from adverts.ie. It was an unwanted bill pay upgrade and never opened.

I'm just wondering if it's possible to register this phone under my own name? It's on the Meteor network.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum but any help/advice will be appreciated :).

Thanks again,
    John.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

registering it won't really be any use to you, i suppose you could ring meteor and ask about registering it on their systems but i don't think it will stop the phone from being blacklisted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭mcw92

guil wrote: »
    registering it won't really be any use to you, i suppose you could ring meteor and ask about registering it on their systems but i don't think it will stop the phone from being blacklisted

Why would the iphone be blacklisted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,327 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

mcw92 wrote: »
    Why would the iphone be blacklisted?

If the person he bought it off doesn't pay their bill or reports it stolen or it was stolen and wasn't someones upgrade at all. Lot of dodgy phones on done deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 grey_man

Hi there,

Thanks for your replies.

The guy I bought it off seemed like a very genuine person and had a 100% feedback on adverts.ie with multiple purchases. Let's say for argument's sake that the phone was indeed a bill pay upgrade and not stolen. Is there any reason why, if both parties agree, the phone cannot be transferred to my name?

Surely if I have the the seller's original receipt and a receipt from the seller then it cannot be reported stolen?

Thanks again,
    John.

as far as i know if that person was to report it lost or stolen then it would be blacklisted even if you had a receipt from him, as stupid as it sounds thats what they do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Does meteor keep a record of the IMEI of the phone they supplied? Otherwise it's gonna be hard to block/blacklist the phone, the costumer probably doesn't have the IMEI as he doesn't have the receipt (any more).
    What do you mean by registering in your name? If you get a meteor sim and setup the (never used) phone with iTunes afaik it will be in your name. The problem you might have is the phone could be carrier locked, I don't know the details of meteor, but are you intending to use bill pay or pay-as-you-go? Don't know/wonder if a bill pay phone will take a pay-as-you-go sim...
    Oh and if you were thinking of using the phone on another network then; no that's not gonna work AFAIK (if it is carrier locked).

yeah it will work with any meteor sim be it bill pay or prepay but i'd be almost certain its locked to meteor, they won't unlock iphones yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

I'm almost certain meteor can't/won't swap the phone onto another account as an handset must remain on an account until the contract period is finished.

I recently bought a second hand 4S on adverts and what I did was get apple to replace the phone under warranty (just say you have a dodgy home button. This can't be repaired and always requires a replacement phone ;) ). So I now have a brand new 4S with a different IMEI to what Three have on their system. Even if the guy I bought it off tries to blacklist it or doesn't pay a bill, it won't affect my phone. Because the replacement was done directly through apple 3 have no record of the new IMEI.

Just a thought if you wanna be 100% safe using the phone.

that's a genius idea and as you said no chance of it getting blacklisted

Advertisement