Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question about victoria shopping center

• 08-07-2012 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

could anyone help me with this? i am going to belfast in a week with my family and were going around looking at belfast (im from the south). could anyone tell me if the 3 store in victoria shopping centre accepts euro and what the exchange rate is there.
    if not is there a place that converts euro to pound there (bank or post office) and what has the cheapest commision.
    thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Why not just use a debit or credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭christy11

Why not just use a debit or credit card?

dont have one

christy11 wrote: »
    dont have one
    You've no bank account? :confused:

im 15 so no.
    now can you answer my questions above???

im 15 so no.
    now can you answer my questions above???
    Nope.

• Advertisement

Nope.

if you arent going to help me dont bother replying.

does anyone else have a more intelligent answer than above?

• Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No shops in Belfast are going to take Euro.

There is a Halifax bank a 2 min walk from Victoria square, in front of city hall. They will do exchanges I reckon but bank rates aren't great.

if you arent going to help me dont bother replying.
    Ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ok.
    As you aren't adding anything positive here you can move along please. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

awec wrote: »
    No shops in Belfast are going to take Euro.

Many shops will take euro but be wary of terrible exchange rates. Better off having sterling on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can change euros to sterling down here and bring with you.
    Or have your parents spot you the money until you get back here?

could anyone help me with this? i am going to belfast in a week with my family and were going around looking at belfast (im from the south). could anyone tell me if the 3 store in victoria shopping centre accepts euro and what the exchange rate is there.
    if not is there a place that converts euro to pound there (bank or post office) and what has the cheapest commision.
    thanks.
    You can buy the sterling in a bank in Ireland or Northern Ireland or at a Bureau de Change.

You can also use your bank card at an ATM in Belfast to withdraw your money in Sterling.

The post offices (An Post) are claiming to sell sterling without adding the commission that the banks do. However its all to do with the exchange rate they are operating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭66dunaras

Some stores in vic square do take euro but the exchange rate is terrible.
    You are better off getting the sterling in the south.... the post office offer commission free currency exchange so you dont need a bank account.

muffler wrote: »
    You can also use your bank card at an ATM in Belfast to withdraw your money in Sterling.
    He doesn't have a bank account for some reason, which is what made this so complicated in the first place.
    im 15 so no.

On yer bike Mr Burnz.............

but does anyone know if the three store in the victoria shopping centre accept euro and what is their exchange rate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Tried calling them?? Remember that victoria square has a website, am sure 3 stores would too.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=3+store+victoria+sq

Berns wrote: »
    Tried calling them?? Remember that victoria square has a website, am sure 3 stores would too.

i checked the website for the 3 store but it had nothing.
    could you tell me the code for calling up the north. i know the south one is +353 but im not sure if the north is the same

@berns: love the link :)

i checked the website for the 3 store but it had nothing.
    could you tell me the code for calling up the north. i know the south one is +353 but im not sure if the north is the same

@berns: love the link :)
    Belfast numbers (I'm not from there btw) are 02890xxxxx I think but in any event drop the 028 prefix and use 048. Its definitely 048 at the beginning when ringing from Eire.

It's 0044. Not 48.

For a Belfast number, it'll start with 00442890 (0044 being UK, 28 being Northern Ireland, 90 being Belfast and then the number) :)

Here ya go OP:

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    It's 0044. Not 48.

For a Belfast number, it'll start with 00442890 (0044 being UK, 28 being Northern Ireland, 90 being Belfast and then the number) :)

Here ya go OP:
    Sorry but 0044 is for England or for mobiles.

The Communications Regulator says its 048 :)

Oh btw, I said 048 in my previous post and not 48 as you stated/quoted.

muffler wrote: »
    Sorry but 0044 is for England or for mobiles.

The Communications Regulator says its 048 :)

Oh btw, I said 048 in my previous post and not 48 as you stated/quoted.
    I am from Northern Ireland, I call home on a regular basis. I am telling you now, it is 0044.

And from your link:

"You can also use the international dialling code for the United Kingdom (00 44) to call Northern Ireland numbers."

Though it seems 048 will work too. :)

thanks for all the answers above.
    but does anyone know if the 3 store accept euro and what the exchange rate is?

thanks for all the answers above.
    but does anyone know if the 3 store accept euro and what the exchange rate is?
    Why don't you ring and ask, like you've been told? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

By the way, what arose you hoping to buy there? Mobiles will be locked to 3 UK and won't accept a SIM for 3 IRL.

The number is 02890321183, or 04890321183 from the south.

As others have said, they probably won't take Euros, but try a bank or post office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Afaik, 0044 is basically the general uk & ni international code. Dunno what the deal is but 048 is NI landlines from Republic, lines startin with 028. Mobiles not included.

Say 02890123456 is the number

both work, but there may be a cheaper tariff or something for the 048 version

Say a mobile 077xxxxx
    needs to be 004477xxxx
    04877xxx wont work

Berns wrote: »
    both work, but there may be a cheaper tariff or something for the 048 version
    Thats the bit I'd be worried about.

In days of old when you had the various regions listed by Eircom as being local or national (pretty much all one nowadays) I always recall that Strabane was listed as a local call for me from Ballybofey but most other places in NI were national rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

Bring your euro to any post office and get sterling commission free. Sorted !

Richard wrote: »
    By the way, what arose you hoping to buy there? Mobiles will be locked to 3 UK and won't accept a SIM for 3 IRL.

i am getting it up north as it is a lot cheaper. the phone down south is €170 but up north it is £100 which works out as around €126 (according to google).

€44 less!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Christy11 if you plan on taking out a contract with 3 mobile during your visit to Belfast it won't be possible without a credit or debit card.

Buying a pay-as-you-go sim is a different matter - cash will do.

on the subject of 048 dailing code for calling Northern Ireland from the Republic: dailing 048 to land lines gives you national call rates, dailing 0044 results in International call rates.

048 is not usable with mobile numbers.

Advertisement