Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air rifle

Options
  • 08-07-2012 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hi im thinking about buying an airrifle, this will be my first one.Is there any advice yous can give me on which one to buy etc my budget would be approx £300... all help appreciated !:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Stay away from anything cheap and nasty i.e. Chinese.That budget will get you a springer, gas ram or CO2 powerlet.
    It really depends on what power level you are happy with. In general the higher power levels ( above 20ft/lbs) need a quality springer like Weihrauch or Theoben but are harder to shoot than the standard UK 12ft/lb limit.
    You don't have to stick to the meagre stock in Irish shops either so research your needs and order through a RFD.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

You could buy a .22 lr for that kind of money.

Dai John wrote: »
    You could buy a .22 lr for that kind of money.

This crops up again and again. I firmly believe that for small game shooting in Ireland a good air rifle is better and safer.You can shoot around farmyards, into trees and on water. The only reason the sport of airgun shooting is almost non-existant in this country is our ridiculous legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dee l

its more an air rifle im after, could anyone point me in the right direction?
    cheers for te advice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

dee l wrote: »
    its more an air rifle im after, could anyone point me in the right direction?
    cheers for te advice...

Get yourself a good pcp .22 air rifle.

With practice you'll have no problem shooting out to 70 or 80 yards. Same distance as a .22lr (or a bit less) without having to worry about ricochets etc.. Saying that you CAN NOT let your guard down where safety is concerned.

Patrick Carley usually always has a few nice air rifles in stock. Thats where I bought mine.

http://patrickcarleyfirearms.com/

• Advertisement

Get yourself a good pcp .22 air rifle.

With practice you'll have no problem shooting out to 70 or 80 yards. Same distance as a .22lr (or a bit less) without having to worry about ricochets etc.. Saying that you CAN NOT let your guard down where safety is concerned.

Patrick Carley usually always has a few nice air rifles in stock. Thats where I bought mine.

http://patrickcarleyfirearms.com/

:D For £300 I doubt if he can get a pcp ( + charging equipment + scope )
    The 12 ft/lb rifles are usuallly zeroed at about 30 yards. A 30 ft/lb rifle could be zeroed at 50 yards max . After that its into using a mildot scope and plenty of practice.
    Buying air rifles is a bit like buying cars - each one is personal to the owner and should be tailored to its use.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 benjii187

look up the gamo ''igt'' system... nitro pistons are quite like pcp's but cheaper, dont need refills, and are still very accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 23 goshawker

if a spring gun your after, you wont go wrong with an air arms tx 200, very accurate gun, if you want a precharge theoben rapid 7 are an awesome gun.. also calibre wise you will have more choice in pellets in .22 and are cheaper than .177, though a .177 shoots flater, im in the north and used to do alot of field target and hunting, and have taken shots out to 100yards with my air arms s300 in .177, get used to the gun and the scope and it will take rabbits out to 100 no probs

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭KE_MAN

Hi - Did you ever purchase the air rifle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rnmcgrath

Why not just go for a gamo .22 spring action or a webley and scott. With a decent scope they're accurate guns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

From the OP's note of how much he has to pay he lives in the North. IMO the choice there will be far wider than it is in the south as he has all the UK mainland gun-stores at his disposal as well as his local Irish dealers in that part of Ireland.

However, that said, he STILL has to contend with the wacky laws in NI that state that ANY air weapon has to licensed as a firearm, regardless of the power.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Thread is more than a year old. ;)

Advertisement