Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A question for the foreigners living here.

• 08-07-2012 5:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

To those of you who come from a warm climate or at least get a decent summer in your birth country how do you all tolerate the weather here or does it not bother you.
    I've lived abroad for a decade and find the summers so miserable here that I have given up expecting any sort of a decent run of weather now,I can't remember it being this bad growing up in the 80's but it's so inconsistent and cold this year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I blame MCD

I blame the Chinese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I blame the foriegn single mothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

I blame it on the weatherman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Nodin wrote: »
    Don't be daft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Love the weather, after 20 odd years of 37+ degree summers a change is great.

Sappa wrote: »
    Don't be daft

*sigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Oh yeah sure, because all foreigners who come here come from warmer climates. Tell that to Ireland's booming Eskimo community!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Pedant wrote: »
    Oh yeah sure, because all foreigners who come here come from warmer climates. Tell that to Ireland's booming Eskimo community!

That would be hard - they don't have igloo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

'Ow do you say 'I hate the goddamn summers in Ireland' in Eeeeeeeenglish?

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »

You don't need an Igloo to be an Eskimo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I don't mind it that much.
    I remember summers back home as six months of continuous sweating, paired with mosquitos in the evenings and nights far too hot to sleep.
    I remember being constantly tired, itching and feeling uncomfortably sticky.

I don't think of it as "summer" in Ireland. This is a country that only really has spring and autumn, and that does suit me down to the ground :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Originally Posted by Biggins
    You don't need an Igloo to be an Eskimo.
    Crappy pun goes over head...

Tru da. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

At least their ghost-estates melted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Im friend with one girl who is fillipino and she says she hates the irish weather when it rains and when it gets icy she thinks of home,where she doesnt have to use central heating or any of that stuff,she says the oil is very expensive not cheap to run on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

They come over here and make millions by getting hundreds of thousands of expensive buggies off gormless Irish Community Welfare Officers. What's worse is that they then take the money back home and build gilded palaces with Axminster carpets everywhere.

It's a disgrace Joe.

They come over here and make millions by getting hundreds of thousands of expensive buggies off gormless Irish Community Welfare Officers. What's worse is that they then take the money back home and build gilded palaces with Axminster carpets everywhere.

It's a disgrace Joe.

Its the free cars that are the worst joe. Cause the global warning and kill the pengbears, so they do. They wouldn't do it in their own country Joe. As a mother joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

My wife is foreign and she moved here three years ago and fúcks off home for 6 weeks every summer and takes the kids with her. She can't handle it at all. She finds it very depressing when it is July, raining and cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

It's a disgrace Joe.

Its the free cars that are the worst joe. Cause the global warning and kill the pengbears, so they do. They wouldn't do it in their own country Joe. As a mother joe.
    They stopped giving them free cars in the last budget,so this prob shouldn't persist.

They stopped giving them free cars in the last budget,so this prob shouldn't persist.

Thats what the liberal meedja want ye to think....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DELTATIP

joe - Down here in cork it never rains just slashes forever bouy and by the way joe we get the odd flood that wrecks the gaff -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭Archeron

Quana for noticing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

We have shit weather, & Mary Harney but at least we avoided all those volcanoes, hurricanes, earthquakes etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

There's no bad weather, just bad preparation.

For me- bad weather is anything above 25 celcius. There are only so many layers of clothes you can take off.
    Winter here is easy- just invest in a good water and windproof coat, layer up, and off you go on your merry way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Sauve wrote: »
    There's no bad weather, just bad preparation.

For me- bad weather is anything above 25 celcius. There are only so many layers of clothes you can take off.
    Winter here is easy- just invest in a good water and windproof coat, layer up, and off you go on your merry way.

I wish I could thank this post twice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Rhand

I'm from Belgium, and we in Belgium think we only have **** weather. But that was before I came here.

God, I can't stand this goddamn Irish weather. I seriously hate it. It's either raining or unbelievably cloudy. So basically it's always cloudy. I think I can count the days Dublin had a clear blue sky, or only small clouds, on one hand.

It is depressing. No wonder the Irish drink so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

The good thing about it is: it's rarely very extreme. But too much grey in the summer months. IMO it's improved of late - because it's warmer. The cold up to June was February/March stuff. I'm the only person I know who likes a bit of humidity. Better than unseasonable cold though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

good post OP, I never know why the Spaniards are so taken with the place, crap on Friday, a token nice day yesterday ( out of about 50 a year ) then back to crap today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

It can be very depressing alright. Although in my case its not extreme. I'm from Berlin originally and we do have significantly better summers than a bad Irish one, but not summers like Italy or something.
    While getting sometimes a bit depressed in July I get the tradeoff in December and January when I don't have to wade through mountains of grey icy slush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Rhand wrote: »
    I'm from Belgium, and we in Belgium think we only have **** weather. But that was before I came here.

God, I can't stand this goddamn Irish weather. I seriously hate it. It's either raining or unbelievably cloudy. So basically it's always cloudy. I think I can count the days Dublin had a clear blue sky, or only small clouds, on one hand.

Oh yeah? Well you waffles and chocolate are shit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭amacca

Cassidy28 wrote: »
    I blame it on the weatherman.

I blame it on the boogie

(if no one else already has)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

ejmaztec wrote: »

At least their ghost-estates melted.

No thanks? That was very good, people! C'mon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭trashcan

I've been in Brussels for the past week and the weather has been mostly lovely, albeit with a few heavy showers. (Got sunburnt and pissed on yesterday. :))Showed signs of changing a bit today though. Noticeably chillier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

t's either raining or unbelievably cloudy.

I think the clouds are very believable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

To those of you who come from a warm climate or at least get a decent summer in your birth country how do you all tolerate the weather here or does it not bother you.

I have tried my best to get used to it but after 7 years I have failed.
    It sounds stupid but one of the reasons why I left Ireland is the miserable weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

No no, we drink to drown out all the moany whingers that constantly tell us how crap our beautiful country is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 johnjoe7

Make no mistake about it, the same guys who've been manipulating our perception of reality, the way we think an feel (particularly the integration of liberalism) have also been manipulating the weather via HAARP on record.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Rhand

Sauve wrote: »
    No no, we drink to drown out all the moany whingers that constantly tell us how crap our beautiful country is.

The alcohol seems to have affected your reading abilities. I never said your country is crap, I find it quite enjoyable here actually, I just can't stand the Irish weather.
    Keno 92 wrote: »
    Oh yeah? Well you waffles and chocolate are ****!

But our beers are better :pac:

You'd think by the robotic, docile and conformist nature of the Irish people that all those clouds in the sky are chem-trails and they've been getting a mighty good dose of in ingrained in their DNA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

johnjoe7 wrote: »
    Make no mistake about it, the same guys who've been manipulating our perception of reality, the way we think an feel (particularly the integration of liberalism) have also been manipulating the weather via HAARP on record.
    Are they the illuminati.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

The weather doesn't bother me, i just put on a jacket.
    I can never tolerate some eejit standing outside the pub in a tshirt smoking, complaining about the cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

if they dont like it they can go home il pay for there ticket out of my dole and take there job when they are gone:D:D

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Are they the illuminati.

That's a start. Now can you please DO SOMETHING. We are being poisoned in this country yet all anyone does is drink, drink, drink more water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well I came from Lithuania and there we had ( haven't been there 6 years thx feck to that ) very very hot summers and very very cold winters.
    When I came here first I loved it. Good enough summer with few extra days of rain ( I love rain ) and a very warm winter. It was perfect for me.
    Now it went balls up to be honest. Last year we had to have fire place lit everyday all summer. It was freezing and constantly raining :(. Winter was very cold too, its even worse when houses are not built for such conditions. :(
    This years is not too bad. It is raining, but atleast it's not cold. Thanks **** to that!

All in all it's grand for me. Not needing to deal with -25 and -30 every winter is a huge advantage for me. I'll take rainy summer over that any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

johnjoe7 wrote: »
    That's a start. Now can you please DO SOMETHING. We are being poisoned in this country yet all anyone does is drink, drink, drink more water.
    I'm with ya boss. Who's first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

I blame the people who can't spell foreign.

3rdDegree wrote: »
    No thanks? That was very good, people! C'mon!

Nobody likes a smart-arse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

well to be honest, irish weather changes every day
    some days you can get a very hot sunny day, like sometime 2 weeks ago, but on that same day youd get heavy rain spells through out the day
    along with dead heat at night
    then some other days youd be freezing your balls off, then it would become dead heat again at night

so now even on a very hot sunny day in ireland, its always wise to bring a heavy jacket with ya and an umbrella because ya dont know what the day will turn out like

ireland shouldnt have seasons, summer, winter, spring etc... we should just have 1 season because in that 1 season wed get everything from rain,snow,sun,hale stones

dont know why so many foreigners choose to come here
    probably because our social welfare system over here is too easy to take advantage off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

The first few years took some getting used to re *summers* and my Irish friends used to laugh at me when I showed up in a jumper and jacket whilst they were prancing around in Tshirts :D.

A good few years later and I can spot a tourist by their jumpers and rainjackets in various colours :D.

I got used to it, simple as, but that doesn't mean I don't love a heatwave soon ;).

Advertisement