Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So lets get ready for steam sale, lads!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

What's Amnesia: The Dark Descent like?? Because I obviously haven't spent enough already... :rolleyes:

totally worth it. scares me sensless, but its the format of the game that intralls me most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Just bought The Witcher: Directors Cut.
    Not an RPG fan generally, but this looks pretty damn good, and I thought you can't go too far wrong for €1.99!

What's Amnesia: The Dark Descent like?? Because I obviously haven't spent enough already... :rolleyes:

Do you enjoy having brown trousers? If so, get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Y'all please, pretty pretty prettyyyy please vote for Splinter Conviction. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

so you never played the sonic or mario games? or blood, quake, half life, red alert, age of empires?
    The first two I played as a kid; the last four have far more than a few days playtime in them (unless you're doing speed runs), with RA and AoE being particularly good value for money in that regard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Jernal wrote: »
    Y'all please, pretty pretty prettyyyy please vote for Splinter Conviction. :)
    I don't get why they haven't put The Splinter Cell collection on sale. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

rofl what?

half life and quake are sub 8 hour games

even with the expansions quake is a sub 8 hour game

aoe and RA get a time boost because they're rts games so there's a huge lull of time at the start of every mission where you're not really doing much but they're still "short" games

Corkfeen wrote: »
    I don't get why they haven't put The Splinter Cell collection on sale. :(

If it gets voted they just might. Fingers crossed. Seriously sale or no Sale both Chaos Theory and Double Agent deserved to be played. Double Agent is a bit of a rehash but there are some moments in it where you're undercover that are just nerve wracking and completely optional. :)

rofl what?

half life and quake are sub 8 hour games
    No, they're not. You can do them in that time, if you know the game well enough, but that's certainly not the norm and very few will do so on their first run through. Certainly I spent much, much more time on both on release. The idea that they approach the 5-6 hours of many modern games is, well, ROFL
    aoe and RA get a time boost because they're rts games so there's a huge lull of time at the start of every mission where you're not really doing much but they're still "short" games
    So RA and AoE are "short games" because their missions start slow? That means you can strip a huge amount of gametime out and consider them "short"? Really?

The original Red Alert has 30 missions, each of which probably takes 30-60 minutes to complete. You can spend far, far longer on each if you wish. That's not even including skirmish mode. Yet you think that this is a "short game" that can be completed in the few days? Again, really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Still just Dead Island and the Tribes Starter pack for me. Hoping to see Morrowind in a lightning sale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

i missed shogun 2 on day one cause i fecked up my account. Will hopefully appear on final day deals.

otherwise its just been batman for me, ive already got the rest

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Will pickup the Fallout NV pack today i think, though i might wait and see what's available at 6pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

My tally

Game|Cost
    Deus Ex: HR|€0.25 (with GMG credit)
    DE:HR The Missing Link|€2.74
    Darksiders|€2.50 (with GMG credit)
    BoI: Wrath of the Lamb|€0.74
    Trine 2|Traded for Bit.Trip Runner
    Total|€6.24

Also won a few things via Twitter and Reddit so not a bad Steam sale altogether. Didn't bother buying a lot since the laptop is starting to slow up and can't play many games on it. Must get a proper rig once I'm finished college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I don't even want to know what my tally is. All you budget conscious people are making me feel wrong. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

just started playing Age of Empires 3 for the first time and its a blast.
    I only went through the tutorial but from the mini campaign i played i really enjoyed it.

It says there is multiplayer, can anyone explain how thats played out ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm annoyed at myself.

I should've stopped at Mass Effect 2, because I damn well KNOW I'm not gonna play anything else for the next few weeks anyway!

blobby360 wrote: »
    It says there is multiplayer, can anyone explain how thats played out ?
    I've only played that over LAN (albeit virtual networks such as Hamachi) with people I knew but it was great craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

nesf wrote: »
    I don't even want to know what my tally is. All you budget conscious people are making me feel wrong. :/

I just keep a budget cause I know the bill to hand over to the auld fella

Dont have paypal or CC : /

get yourself an o2 money card

ded hendeh]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

nesf wrote: »

Says the mod of Economics :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Reekwind wrote: »
    If a game can be completed in a few days then it's not a game for me

I think this is a dangerous attitude as its held by far too many gamers these days. There's no 'magic number' of how long a game should be. Some should take 100s or 1000s of hours to master, others can last little more than 90 minutes (Journey or Dear Esther spring to mind). How many modern games are full of pointless fluff trying to beef up a game to some supposedly magical 8-15 hours gameplay? I'd rather a game have four thrilling, inventive hours then ten repetitive ones.

If developer's were braver, and game pricing not so strangely skewed, many more games would be shorter. And I'd have absolutely no problem with that. Brief, narrative led games can happily co-exist with epics. And Steam sales give shorter titles a chance to get into the hands of more gamers who might be unwilling to part with their money for such titles.

get yourself an o2 money card

ded hendeh]

yeah singing up for one next week ,especially after my laser got frauded this week

TheDoc wrote: »
    yeah singing up for one next week ,especially after my laser got frauded this week

if you get a paypal a/c you can link the o2 card to it too for handiness

Actually have one, think it was locked down for security reasons YEARS ago someone was messing on it .

Might set up another one alright, although I believe I can transfer money from AIB account directly into Card, which saves alot of messing.

Conviction won. Yep. Yep.:)

Now, all I'm waiting on is Arma. If it doesn't drop no biggie, I'm a huge Arma buff anyway so I'll be getting the game on or before the 23rd anyway. Not dropping might be case this time around but it would be odd because every sale so far it's always dropped to 75% off. So here's hoping. :)

Oh and then maybe Test Drive Unlimited II.

Actually have one, think it was locked down for security reasons YEARS ago someone was messing on it .

Might set up another one alright, although I believe I can transfer money from AIB account directly into Card, which saves alot of messing.

yeah but it takes 3-4 days, pain in the arse. i always just head into town and into a payzone

Jernal wrote: »
    ...but it would be odd because every sale so far it's always dropped to 75% off.

Didn't have DayZ launching it's sales into orbit before!

Didn't have DayZ launching it's sales into orbit before!

Yeah I know, but I'm still going to wait and see. Already passed up the €18.74 offer on Bohemia's own site. And I'm not too fussed about paying BIS €20 because I kind of like them. :o But still going to wait and see if it drops, if it does : Happy, happy days!:D

RolandIRL wrote: »
    Says the mod of Economics :pac:

It's um, stimulus spending during a recession...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think this is a dangerous attitude as its held by far too many gamers these days. There's no 'magic number' of how long a game should be. Some should take 100s or 1000s of hours to master, others can last little more than 90 minutes (Journey or Dear Esther spring to mind). How many modern games are full of pointless fluff trying to beef up a game to some supposedly magical 8-15 hours gameplay? I'd rather a game have four thrilling, inventive hours then ten repetitive ones.

If developer's were braver, and game pricing not so strangely skewed, many more games would be shorter. And I'd have absolutely no problem with that. Brief, narrative led games can happily co-exist with epics. And Steam sales give shorter titles a chance to get into the hands of more gamers who might be unwilling to part with their money for such titles.

Steam sales are a great chance to buy those shorter games, but when a game is normally priced, longer games do offer more value for money. I'll buy a good 100 hour plus game at full price. I'm not going to buy a good game that lasts less than 10 hours at full price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

If Portal were €50, it would be totally worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Crusader kings 2 -110% WTF :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

blobby360 wrote: »
    Crusader kings 2 -110% WTF :confused:

Bargain! :D

XOSSF.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Anno 2070 24.99
    Tropico 4 7.49
    Borderlands GOTY 7.49
    Trine 2 6.49
    The Witcher: Enhanced Edition 4.79
    From Dust 3.74
    Dear Ester 1.99
    Saints Row The Third 7.49
    Sim City 4 2.49
    Total War Collection 12.49
    Thief Bundle 6.74
    Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition 9.99
    The Walking Dead 14.99

Will probably pick up more on flash sales if i see anything I like. Doubt ill need to buy any games till next year at this stage...

Anno is such a good game !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

Splinter Cell Conviction worth getting?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Splinter Cell is decent. It's dumbed down stealth in a few ways, with a higher body count than usual, but there's some fun mechanics & design, and it is generally enjoyable hokum.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Yea I enjoyed conviction too. Enjoyed replaying the levels a bit and taking a different approach/path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Just picked up the witcher directors cut. For €2 I think I'll get more enjoyment out of it than a half pint of beer. If I keep rationalising my purchases vs the equivalent beer cost, it'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Vorrtexx wrote: »
    Bargain! :D

XOSSF.jpg

Anyone try it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anyone try it?

Yeah, clicked through and it was just showing a 40% discount when you try to buy it. At 75% now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So is there a Splinter Cell bundle discount?

Anyone try it?

There's a thread about it on the Strategy forum. People seem to like it.

Splinter cell acquired,

Up to €60, the price of an Xbox game, and the amount of stuff I've gotten :O

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Up to €60, the price of an Xbox game,

Not to ignite a PC vs Consoles war or anything. But I don't know where you're buying your Xbox games that your paying 60 quid. 40 to 45 is the norm if you shop around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Is "Plants vs. Zombies GOTY Edition" any good? Thinking of getting it.

Not to ignite a PC vs Consoles war or anything. But I don't know where you're buying your Xbox games that your paying 60 quid. 40 to 45 is the norm if you shop around.

ugh whatever was just making a broad point, its been that long since I bought an xbox game... MW3 was €60 in shops,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

the_syco wrote: »
    Is "Plants vs. Zombies GOTY Edition" any good? Thinking of getting it.

Good craic, it's a casual game and graphically it's nice, I got it the other day for €2.49 well worth the price

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 280 ✭✭Yousef

Neilos wrote: »
    Says the guy who watches wrestling.

No, says the guy that has just downloaded over 32 of the latest games for a whopping E0.00....

Jakes on you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

So the jake (sic) is on us, as we prefer to get our games legally and support smaller companies and titles, while still getting a deal on our premium titles??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Yousef wrote: »
    No, says the guy that has just downloaded over 32 of the latest games for a whopping E0.00....

Jakes on you

The correct word is stolen.

But this isn't a discussion for here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement