Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So lets get ready for steam sale, lads!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

waiting 6+ months to buy games at 3-4 euro a go isn't that much better for the industry than pirating tbh :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭N64

Yousef wrote: »
    No, says the guy that has just downloaded over 32 of the latest games for a whopping E0.00....

Jakes on you

People like you are reasons why I sometimes have sympathy for the copyright trolls :rolleyes:

waiting 6+ months to buy games at 3-4 euro a go isn't that much better for the industry than pirating tbh :)

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/07/16/steam-deals-dont-cannibalise-sales-says-valves-director-of-business-management/

oh wow, valve said that?
    well that changed my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

No, says the guy that has just downloaded over 32 of the latest games for a whopping E0.00....

Here is an infraction for a whopping E0.00.
    Please familarise yourself with the charter before posting here again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

In all fairness, most of the games around that price are years old or a bit crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭N64

Train simulator is not crap :mad:

N64 wrote: »
    Train simulator is not crap :mad:

Most. Most! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

omfg, you wont believe this lads... i finished a game bought on summer steam sale! :eek:

just finished dead island. i have to say i really enjoyed that. well worth 10eu i payed for it. It is really rare when i sit down and finish a game so i guess its a good sign. :P

22h entertainment for a tenner so far. and i still got dlc to finish. not bad :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Still no Arma, but pretty good deals today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad for £3.74 (Not sure of Euro price).

It's brutal, tough and unforgiving. Everything you could ask for in a realistic WWII shooter!

It's brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It's often 3-4 Euro from people who would never buy the game at full price.

****... my cc will hate me today...

okay got civ 5 and there are few more games i want to pick up! yikes!

some times but have a read through this thread.. loads of people saying they wouldn't buy games they actually want until it drops in price enough thanks to the steam sale. these are people who most likely would have bought the game at full or near full price but knew damn well it was going to get a huge discount at some point during the year so just held off

it's killing the perception of value games have. people humming and hawing over paying a tenner for a 10-20 hour game, wondering if it will drop even further in a few days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Driver: San Francisco for 4.99! Huzzah!

The system works.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 280 ✭✭Yousef

Fallout: New Vegas - Ultimate Edition
    Max Payne 3
    The Walking Dead
    The Witcher 2
    Portal 1 and 2
    Skyrim
    L4D + Left4Dead2
    Amnesia
    Deus Ex 1, 2 and 3.
    Sniper Elite
    GTA 4 to DLC's.
    Alan Wake
    Metro 2033
    Stalker SoC, Clear Sky, CoP.
    Bioshock 2
    Crysis 2
    Battlefield: Bad Company 2
    Call of Duty WaW (never played this)
    Ghost Recon Future Solider
    Pro Evo 2012

That should keep me busy for a while....and to think that would set me back well into the hundreds....LOL. f*ck steam and all the haters above. <SNIP>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Now they're just rehashing old flash sales :/

some times but have a read through this thread.. loads of people saying they wouldn't buy games they actually want until it drops in price enough thanks to the steam sale. these are people who most likely would have bought the game at full or near full price but knew damn well it was going to get a huge discount at some point during the year so just held off

it's killing the perception of value games have. people humming and hawing over paying a tenner for a 10-20 hour game, wondering if it will drop even further in a few days.

right. do you prefer people pirate and play them or wait until they can afford it and then buy it and play it?
    Valve said it themselfs: "make a good service and there will be less piracy. so far service is savage. i bought 150eu worth games in last few days, which i would not buy and would not play. that gave developers money for old titles with no extra spending on publicity.
    Would i have spent money to buy Civ 5? **** no, i am still enjoying my civ 4 and i heard way too many changes that i would not like. so no way i would pay full price for it. so its for sale on 15eu with all dlcs included... you know what? for 15eu i will check it myself if i like it or not.
    so just stop moaning and enjoy sale! :p

The system works.

And there goes my last fiver!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Can't afford every game you might possibly want at full price though. At least in my case, if I want a game badly enough, I'll pay full price e.g Skyrim, Mass Effect 3. Don't have the money to buy every game I'd like at full prices, dont even have the money to buy every game I'd like at half price. Steam sales are the only way I could play those games barring piracy, and there's the games that I've only bought cos they're cheap or games that I've had on different consoles but were cheap so bought them again on pc

The system works.

damn i am on the fence with this one! i just got civ 5 with **** loads dlcs, red orchestra deluxe, far cry 2 deluxe.
    i want driver too, but i wonder if i am getting out of control :D

• Advertisement

I wouldn't agree. The only game that was somewhat new that I got was The Walking Dead and I didn't want to pay full price as it's only 40% of the full game now! It's still the most expensive purchase I had at 14.99. Most of the other games were ones I would not have normally gotten (STALKER, Driver, Company of Heroes) or games that I have actually played and completed already on other platforms (Mirrors Edge, KotOR, Splinter Cell, Red Faction, Fable, Fable 3) that were cheap and that I have already paid for once so getting them for next to nothing and the dev is still getting something! Hell, I even got Psychonauts again after only just getting it in the Humble Bundle!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That should keep me busy for a while....and to think that would set me back well into the hundreds....LOL.

Ah good. Something to keep you occupied during your 3 week holiday from the forum. Enjoy.

Sure but you're assuming these people would pay out 40 quid or whatever for the game in the first place which is a rather big assumption. Demand just doesn't work that way. Would these people still want these games if they were guaranteed to stay around the 40 quid mark? Or would they just ignore them until they came out in discounted Game of the Year Edition forms?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

If a game releases that I want then I will buy it regardless of price.

Its the other games that I wait for the prices to drop, The games I normally wouldn't buy or those that I can do without.

As for people "Huming and hawing over paying a tenner for a 10-20 hour game", Have you considered these people may only have a limited amount of money to spend and as such want to use it the most efficiently. The logical thing to do in this situation is to spend the money on games that have reached their rock bottom price rather than on new releases as you then get more hours/euro spent, And the perceived value of your collection will not drop much more.

Killing the perception of value games have? Sounds like what EA said a few weeks back. The sales provide a method of selling games to people that otherwise would never of bought them, I highly doubt that day 1 buyers of games are holding off for months/years just to get it at 75% off on a steam sale, Rather the day 1 buyers will buy as normal and everyone else will wait until it drops to a price they find acceptable. There is nothing wrong with that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Far Cry or Far Cry 2?
    And is Driver: San Francisco worth it for the single player?

ixoy wrote: »
    Far Cry or Far Cry 2?

driver is well worth it.

far cry 2 might too, but you better off getting crysis 1 and warhead if you havent played those 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

ixoy wrote: »
    Far Cry or Far Cry 2?
    FC2 gets very repetitive if you want to do all missions and unlocks but it's a nice enough game imo (I know most prefer PC over FC2 though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Picked up so far in the sale

Bastion
    Metro 2033
    Splinter cell Conviction
    Red faction guerrilla
    all for
    €12.48

Might get Far Cry 2 for €2.50 as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I resisted buying anything today, might be due to owning 18 of the 21 games on offer :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Going to get Driver and Splinter Cell today. Not going to bother with New Vegas. It's a great game and all, but i don't fancy another 100+ hour marathon.

• Advertisement

I highly doubt that day 1 buyers of games are holding off for months/years just to get it at 75% off on a steam sale, Rather the day 1 buyers will buy as normal and everyone else will wait until it drops to a price they find acceptable. There is nothing wrong with that.

Exactly. I bought Civ V and Skyrim on release, as did quite a lot of other people I imagine. The people waiting for the Steam Sales of these were never going to be day 1 buyers in the first place. If you can wait 6-12 months for a game you don't really need it as opposed to a new Civ expansion which I'll probably pick up as soon as it's released etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Just picked up my first game in this sale , The Witcher enhanced edition for €1.99 :D .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Feeling a bit tempted by Civ 5 but not sure if ill like it.

I used to have Civ 4 but just couldnt get into it and ended up selling it to a friend. Probably not worth buying it if i didnt enjoy the previous incarnation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Fiver left in my budget, Driver, F3AR, Splinter Cell, Limbo or Far Cry 2...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

75% off Civ V!?:eek: That is so so tempting.

On the topic, of buying these games on sale. A perfect example would be Splinter Cell : Conviction. I loved the classic SC games, but lost interest in the latest iteration when I saw how much the formula had been changed.
    I didn't doubt the game was fun but I was never going to buy it. It was only Two weeks ago when I upgraded my rig that I thought Splinter Cell would be nice to try on this and that it'll definitely be on the Steam Sale. Even if it's only €7.49 euro, Ubisoft get something from me. Otherwise they'd have gotten nothing. Nada. Zilch, Ever.
    And, the old saying "Nothing is infinitely worse than something."*

Another plus to these sales is that I try franchises that I'd never really had much prior knowledge and wouldn't have been comfortable risking significant money on. For example, thanks to nesf's recommendation I can safely say I'll be following any more games in the Sins of A Solar Empire franchise with interest. It's a blast :)

*Which isn't technically true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

folan wrote: »
    totally worth it. scares me sensless, but its the format of the game that intralls me most.
    Do you enjoy having brown trousers? If so, get it.

Sold :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Things are bad when you try to buy 2 games you already own :o

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

far cry 2 might too, but you better off getting crysis 1 and warhead if you havent played those 2.
    Cheers. I've played "Crysis" (well tried too - there's a glitch that stops me in the final battle) and I've still "Warhead" outstanding so I'll leave it and get Driver:SF instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭MrSparkle

KonFusion wrote: »
    Things are bad when you try to buy 2 games you already own :o

This has happened a lot during this sale. I should really get around to playing more of my games on Steam.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

MrSparkle wrote: »
    This has happened a lot during this sale. I should really get around to playing more of my games on Steam.

That's just crazy talk. Games you buy in the sale aren't for playing :pac:

i am trying to do a list of stuff i bought so far. its not easy..

batman arkham city
    tropico 4
    trine 1
    trine2
    sins of solar empire: trinity
    The walking dead
    Shogun 2
    fallout new vegas Dlcs
    Red orchestra 2
    civ 5 +dlcs
    Binding of isaac dlc
    bioshock 2 ( wanted it for steam :D )
    Crysis 1 ( as above :D)
    Crysis warhead
    dead island
    Dues ex human revolution + DLC
    Dragon age ultimate edition
    Dreamfall
    the longest journey
    Driver san francisco
    fallout 3 goty ( as above :D )
    farcry 2
    total war collection
    Total war shogon 2 fall of samurai
    sanctum

dead island finished.... any tips on what to play next :D

Try Sins of a Solar Empire. It's quite fast to get into and a lot of fun. :)

nesf wrote: »
    Try Sins of a Solar Empire. It's quite fast to get into and a lot of fun. :)

its one of the games i got installed. :D

i was shocked to see only 2gb download! i so got used to 8gb+++

wont have time to play anything tonight thought :(. work tomorrow.

ill leave steam to download civ 5 and red orchestra. got batman, new vegas, walking dead, tropico 4, trine, shogun 2 all downloaded. With all games that i already had i still got 110gb free on ssd. need to fill that bitch up! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory for €2.49, always been meaning to play it so I'll gladly take that

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭MrSparkle

Kiith wrote: »
    That's just crazy talk. Games you buy in the sale aren't for playing :pac:

Judging by what I have done with games I've bought in previous sales I seem to be just collecting games.

I've barely played any of them(just looked through my games list and I actually didn't know I had a lot of those titles) but it's so hard not to buy when there's these crazy bargains.

• Advertisement

Magicka DLC + The Witcher 1, held off on Witcher 2, I won't have time to play it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Thoughts on Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet? It having GFWL is a bit of a turn-off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Did I buy "Splinter Cell : Conviction" or did I buy "24 : Conviction"? Must check the game receipt. Game is a whole load of fun, but is far too easy and far too violent (I was one of those who liked to try to complete maps with zero violence where possible), but lots of fun. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deano546

RolandIRL wrote: »
    Thoughts on Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet? It having GFWL is a bit of a turn-off.

I was considering it till I found that out and it turned me off it. The only game that I have that has GFWL is Batman:AC, and even then I'll uninstall it as soon as I'm finished it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Driver is now mine. Leave. Me alone Steam

• Advertisement
Advertisement