Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So lets get ready for steam sale, lads!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

twas a quiet one for me. bought portal 2 cause you can never play enough portal. got batman AC, Limbo and Tropyco 4. would have gotten Shogun 2 if i had the chance again, but i have the above, metro 2033, Empire TW and the witcher yet to play. and Amnesia to finish once i get my pc back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

borderlands 2 out in sept - I'm sure there'll be a reduction on bl1 in the weeks coming up to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

well to completely finish my self off i bought bastion! at this stage the damage is DONE, the size of it does not matter anymore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,382 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Right, after that my total list of unplayed games across PC, Wii, PS3, Gamecube and PS2 is 99 so the plan is to keep the list below 100

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A small lot this time around.

KOTOR
    The Witcher 1
    The Darkness 2
    Driver: San Fran
    Legend of Grimrock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Got away lighter than any previous sale. Mind you, that's because I already own so much from previous sales.

Game|Cost
    Dead Island|9.99 EUR
    Tribes Starter Pack|4.99
    Evochron Mercenary|5.79
    Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II |2.49
    Total|€23.26

Have €2.42 left in my account.

Edit - Picked up Psychonauts for €2.24. Got away with €25 in total in the end, pretty chuffed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I just bought the valve complete collection , can't believe i didn't own any of those games before that :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

only a few purchases myself this time around

Batman: Arkham City
    Arma 2 CO
    The Witcher 1
    Left 4 Dead 2
    KOTOR

although i feel the impulse to buy one more game before the sale ends for some reason

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Saints Row the Third dlc any good? 18 of them??

• Advertisement

mewso wrote: »
    Saints Row the Third dlc any good? 18 of them??

All pretty rubbish, even the bigger ones. The expansions might be worth it if they're really cheap, but weapons/vechiles/skins are a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Got DoW 2 Retribution to play Last stand :p

and also picked up the Double fine bundle, finished Costume quest in a few hours, it was actually fun ! Looking forward to playing Stacking, I rarely play single player games anymore :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I think my final damages are a lot less than previous sales - because I already own everything I want :P

Game|Cost
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution|€7.49
    TF2 in-game Name Tags|€9.97
    Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2|€2.49
    Tribes Ascend Starter Pack|€4.74
    Orcs Must Die DLC|€1.47
    The Binding of Isaac: Wrath of the Lamb|€0.74
    Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit|€4.99
    Oblivion Deluxe|€6.24
    Sims 3: Showtime|€17.49
    WWTBAM|4.99
    Total|€59.61

Although I do still have €37 in my wallet and TF2 in-game stuff is still discounted...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

All pretty rubbish, even the bigger ones. The expansions might be worth it if they're really cheap, but weapons/vechiles/skins are a waste.

I just went for the expansions as it were, they were €3.50 for the lot. Ignored the rest of the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭blaa85

Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth is hidden away at €5.99. Some game, have it for the original Xbox. Same with Jade Empire at €7.50. Tempted to pick up the two of them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

GO_Bear wrote: »
    finished Costume quest in a few hours, it was actually fun !

I'm waiting until October to play it. I heard the Christmas themed DLC is great as well, that will be saved for December!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

well started one more purchase from summer sale :D. tropico 4.

did a training, but still clueless! :o .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

€14 left in my account but nothing that really grabs my attention. Psychonauts looks interesting and maybe Splinter Cell Conviction although not sure how well that'll run on my laptop, decisions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

So was there any point to the badge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Badges are there to be shiny and pretty. Nothing else

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well started one more purchase from summer sale :D. tropico 4.

did a training, but still clueless! :o .

the first few levels of tropico 4 are very simple they walk you through the basics of the mission very well

garages and teamsters are very important. youll have to plan your island in advance somewhat as when you get very populated if you have traffic jams on some important roads your entire economy slows to a crawl as goods can't get delivered to factories/ports for production/sale and you endup a million dollars in debt unable to build anything

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Pity the Half Life pack didn't show up again, I'd been holding out for it showing up on the last day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I have a wedding coming up so it was hard to stay away from tempting offers, settled with Sim City 4 and KOTOR. A massive €5 spent! Bring on the Xmas sales already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Yakult wrote: »
    I have a wedding coming up so it was hard to stay away from tempting offers, settled with Sim City 4 and KOTOR. A massive €5 spent! Bring on the Xmas sales already.

Could have bought 100 copies of something cheap and left on each table for the afters dinner :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

That's it. I'm done! Final tally

Call of Cthulhu
    Wings of Prey
    Torchlight
    Batman Arkham City
    Civilization V
    Driver: San Francisco
    Call of Juarez 2: Bound in Blood
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction
    E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition
    Railworks 3: TS2012
    Red Faction Guerrilla
    Fallout New Vegas Ultimate
    QUBE Game and Soundtrack Bundle
    Payday: The Heist
    Binding of Isaac Bundle (Summer 2012)
    Summer Sale Indie Bundle Day One
    Hard Reset: Extended edition
    Trine Bundle (Summer 2012)
    Garry's MoD
    Grand Theft Auto Complete Pack
    The Walking Dead
    Half-Life 2: Episode TwO
    Half-Life 2: Episode One
    Half-Life 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Could have bought 100 copies of something cheap and left on each table for the afters dinner :D

Just buy 100 random games and put them in identical envelopes and place some on each table. Everyone gets a random game, could even swap with others at your table.

is the delux version of SC conviction worth it for the extra game mode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I'm absolutely thrilled I didn't pay much for Splinter Cell : Conviction because the stupid game doesn't save at all for me. Had to finish it in one sitting. Game is a whole load of fun but the ability to save would be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Any last minute recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Sarn

Only a select few games made it into my library this sale.

STALKER: Call of Pripyat €3.49
    Civ V GOTY €9.99
    The Witcher Enhanced Edition €1.99

That should keep me going until Christmas at least.

Landstalker, an old mega drive game, i remember loving it at the time, doubt it has aged well though.

has anyone played Legend of Grimrock here? worth a last minute punt?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

If anyone still wants to play Dayz, you can get Arma 2 Free and Operation Arrowhead, for 11.99 total.

Just install Arma 2 free from steam [URL="steam://install/107400"]here[/URL]

Then purchase arrowhead for 12 euro and install that. Sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭blaa85

Glad I held off on Jade Empire, down to €3.74 now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm strangely relieved that the sale wasn't too amazing. I've been saving up for a small holiday for the last month and the last week could have ruined everything if Valve had thrown me too many deals. As it stands, the sale made me spend just enough money that I won't be making stupid purchases abroad that I'd never get home on a plane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

And so begins the effort to play through all the unplayed games on my list...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Of all the games I've bought over the sale, I've played Morrowind most, which I've already played through a couple of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Of all my Steam games, Plants vs. Zombies has been most played at well over 100 hours. :-/

Civ V, just under 200 hours. This is why no other games get played. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

nesf wrote: »
    Civ V, just under 200 hours. This is why no other games get played. :p

184 hours for me :eek:

FM 2010 and 2011 694 hours combined :eek: Thank god I stopped playing that

206 hours on Team Fortress 2, with Rift close behind on 196 - it's an MMO though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

The Steam Android app tried telling me I had clocked 2200 hours in Left4Dead. I got quite scared for a split second!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Anyone who got San Andreas manage to get it playable with a controller? Just cant seem to get it right here, too many conflicts and xpadder just confuses matters further

Tried downgrading it to v1.0 so I could use SAAC with an xbox controller but that's proved equally temperamental

206 hours on Team Fortress 2, with Rift close behind on 196 - it's an MMO though.

I don't even want to think how much playtime I've sunk into WoW over the years on and off it. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It's pretty easy to calculate. Just add up your played time for your mains. For me, it would total about 150 days played time over about a four or five year period on and off. Mostly on :p

When you think about it, it's an absurd amount and only an MMO style game can touch time like that. Even when you aren't actually doing or playing it, you are on it and chatting with your friends and just jumping around Ironforge or Orgrimmar

The "Escape from Mount stupid" episode that reviewed WoW really summed up my experience with the game. By the end of my time with WoW, I didn't actually want to come on and play but felt I had to do it out of obligation because the raid needed me.

Ofcourse I haven't touched it in over two years so, it's a thing of the past for me. I didn't come back to try Cata and I doubt I'll be back for Panda.

I might consider trying it for a few weeks if it launches with a ready made 85....they are running a similar scheme at the moment where if you come back you get a free max level character. All of my old mates keep emailing me with the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ConmanTheKiller

Harps wrote: »
    Anyone who got San Andreas manage to get it playable with a controller? Just cant seem to get it right here, too many conflicts and xpadder just confuses matters further

If you have a PS3 controller you can use a program called "ds3 tool".

This guide will help getting it to work with San andreas.

http://www.motioninjoy.com/wiki/en/game/guide/gtasa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Kirby wrote: »

When you think about it, it's an absurd amount and only an MMO style game can touch time like that. Even when you aren't actually doing or playing it, you are on it and chatting with your friends and just jumping around Ironforge or Orgrimmar

I'd be confident in saying my gametime playing cs (Over a 10 year peroid) far exceeds that. Its not even funny how much time some people have put into cs over the years tbh, especially when it was at its peak (For years before wow came out people were putting in those kind of MMO hours into CS). Other than CS, no other game has come close to the time i've put into wow tho.

At a low estimate.... your talking maybe 500+ days played :s Im sure there are people with with triple that aswel.

TBH.... even CoD/Halo on the console (And probably CoD4 on PC)... people put in those crazy hours, i know people on my PSN friendslist that have 50-100 days played on each CoD(Each only has like a one year life cycle !).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

1150 hours in TF2, 460 hours in Civ 5.

Think that explains why I never play any of the sale stuff I buy :3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

nesf wrote: »
    I don't even want to think how much playtime I've sunk into WoW over the years on and off it. :/
    /played tells me I've played my character for 87 days. Call it 90. That's 2160 hours
    350 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Magill wrote: »
    I'd be confident in saying my gametime playing cs (Over a 10 year peroid) far exceeds that. Its not even funny how much time some people have put into cs over the years tbh, especially when it was at its peak (For years before wow came out people were putting in those kind of MMO hours into CS). Other than CS, no other game has come close to the time i've put into wow tho.

At a low estimate.... your talking maybe 500+ days played :s Im sure there are people with with triple that aswel.

TBH.... even CoD/Halo on the console (And probably CoD4 on PC)... people put in those crazy hours, i know people on my PSN friendslist that have 50-100 days played on each CoD(Each only has like a one year life cycle !).

I think what makes MMO's unique is the percentage of the user base putting in the mad hours. Millions of people played CS quite alot, myself included. I remember 12 hour marathon sessions of CS but that wasn't every day. But only the seriously dedicated or hardcore spent 8 or 9 hours a day, everyday on it. The type of guys who played clan wars and leagues. Enemy down type stuff.

Thats what seperates the MMO's from the other ultra popular games like Counter-strike and Halo or Cod4. They are played by millions but when they are done, they go to work or go out with their friends or go watch tv. The hardcore "lifers" would only make up a small % of the user base for those games. For the MMO's, everyone was on the loopy train. :p

In its pomp when wow had 11 million users, I would say over a million were on the addicted train and playing it nonstop, everday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Kirby wrote: »
    Magill wrote: »

I think what makes MMO's unique is the percentage of the user base putting in the mad hours. Millions of people played CS quite alot, myself included. I remember 12 hour marathon sessions of CS but that wasn't every day. But only the seriously dedicated or hardcore spent 8 or 9 hours a day, everyday on it. The type of guys who played clan wars and leagues. Enemy down type stuff.

Thats what seperates the MMO's from the other ultra popular games like Counter-strike and Halo or Cod4. They are played by millions but when they are done, they go to work or go out with their friends or go watch tv. The hardcore "lifers" would only make up a small % of the user base for those games. For the MMO's, everyone was on the loopy train. :p

In its pomp when wow had 11 million users, I would say over a million were on the addicted train and playing it nonstop, everday.

Not really tho, i played the game much more in my early public days. Public servers used to have the same ppl night after night.

150 days played over 5 years is only really a few hours a day (id say its quite low in comparison to more hardcore players, myself included).

cod has millions of people putting in more hours than that tbh. Wow probably has the highest average played time per year out of any game, but i wouldn't say mmo's are the only games that can touch it. Some shooters/rts games are right up there on the addictiveness scale :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm playing wow since alpha with no breaks,at a haphazard guess.

On avg I'd say bout 25 hours a week.

25 * 52 = 1300

I'm playing bout 8 years ( actually more but sure ****it) 1300 * 8

10400 hours played.

Nothing else comes close to it, albeit Counter Strike might be up and around 5000+ hours thinking about it.

Absolutely shocking reading those two figures, spent on games ...........

• Advertisement
Advertisement