Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So lets get ready for steam sale, lads!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Anyone who got San Andreas manage to get it playable with a controller? Just cant seem to get it right here, too many conflicts and xpadder just confuses matters further

Tried downgrading it to v1.0 so I could use SAAC with an xbox controller but that's proved equally temperamental

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

206 hours on Team Fortress 2, with Rift close behind on 196 - it's an MMO though.

I don't even want to think how much playtime I've sunk into WoW over the years on and off it. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It's pretty easy to calculate. Just add up your played time for your mains. For me, it would total about 150 days played time over about a four or five year period on and off. Mostly on :p

When you think about it, it's an absurd amount and only an MMO style game can touch time like that. Even when you aren't actually doing or playing it, you are on it and chatting with your friends and just jumping around Ironforge or Orgrimmar

The "Escape from Mount stupid" episode that reviewed WoW really summed up my experience with the game. By the end of my time with WoW, I didn't actually want to come on and play but felt I had to do it out of obligation because the raid needed me.

Ofcourse I haven't touched it in over two years so, it's a thing of the past for me. I didn't come back to try Cata and I doubt I'll be back for Panda.

I might consider trying it for a few weeks if it launches with a ready made 85....they are running a similar scheme at the moment where if you come back you get a free max level character. All of my old mates keep emailing me with the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ConmanTheKiller

Harps wrote: »
    Anyone who got San Andreas manage to get it playable with a controller? Just cant seem to get it right here, too many conflicts and xpadder just confuses matters further

If you have a PS3 controller you can use a program called "ds3 tool".

This guide will help getting it to work with San andreas.

http://www.motioninjoy.com/wiki/en/game/guide/gtasa

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Kirby wrote: »

When you think about it, it's an absurd amount and only an MMO style game can touch time like that. Even when you aren't actually doing or playing it, you are on it and chatting with your friends and just jumping around Ironforge or Orgrimmar

I'd be confident in saying my gametime playing cs (Over a 10 year peroid) far exceeds that. Its not even funny how much time some people have put into cs over the years tbh, especially when it was at its peak (For years before wow came out people were putting in those kind of MMO hours into CS). Other than CS, no other game has come close to the time i've put into wow tho.

At a low estimate.... your talking maybe 500+ days played :s Im sure there are people with with triple that aswel.

TBH.... even CoD/Halo on the console (And probably CoD4 on PC)... people put in those crazy hours, i know people on my PSN friendslist that have 50-100 days played on each CoD(Each only has like a one year life cycle !).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

1150 hours in TF2, 460 hours in Civ 5.

Think that explains why I never play any of the sale stuff I buy :3

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

nesf wrote: »
    I don't even want to think how much playtime I've sunk into WoW over the years on and off it. :/
    /played tells me I've played my character for 87 days. Call it 90. That's 2160 hours
    206 hours on Team Fortress 2, with Rift close behind on 196 - it's an MMO though.
    350 hours.

Magill wrote: »
    I'd be confident in saying my gametime playing cs (Over a 10 year peroid) far exceeds that. Its not even funny how much time some people have put into cs over the years tbh, especially when it was at its peak (For years before wow came out people were putting in those kind of MMO hours into CS). Other than CS, no other game has come close to the time i've put into wow tho.

At a low estimate.... your talking maybe 500+ days played :s Im sure there are people with with triple that aswel.

TBH.... even CoD/Halo on the console (And probably CoD4 on PC)... people put in those crazy hours, i know people on my PSN friendslist that have 50-100 days played on each CoD(Each only has like a one year life cycle !).

I think what makes MMO's unique is the percentage of the user base putting in the mad hours. Millions of people played CS quite alot, myself included. I remember 12 hour marathon sessions of CS but that wasn't every day. But only the seriously dedicated or hardcore spent 8 or 9 hours a day, everyday on it. The type of guys who played clan wars and leagues. Enemy down type stuff.

Thats what seperates the MMO's from the other ultra popular games like Counter-strike and Halo or Cod4. They are played by millions but when they are done, they go to work or go out with their friends or go watch tv. The hardcore "lifers" would only make up a small % of the user base for those games. For the MMO's, everyone was on the loopy train. :p

In its pomp when wow had 11 million users, I would say over a million were on the addicted train and playing it nonstop, everday.

I think what makes MMO's unique is the percentage of the user base putting in the mad hours. Millions of people played CS quite alot, myself included. I remember 12 hour marathon sessions of CS but that wasn't every day. But only the seriously dedicated or hardcore spent 8 or 9 hours a day, everyday on it. The type of guys who played clan wars and leagues. Enemy down type stuff.

Thats what seperates the MMO's from the other ultra popular games like Counter-strike and Halo or Cod4. They are played by millions but when they are done, they go to work or go out with their friends or go watch tv. The hardcore "lifers" would only make up a small % of the user base for those games. For the MMO's, everyone was on the loopy train. :p

In its pomp when wow had 11 million users, I would say over a million were on the addicted train and playing it nonstop, everday.

Not really tho, i played the game much more in my early public days. Public servers used to have the same ppl night after night.

150 days played over 5 years is only really a few hours a day (id say its quite low in comparison to more hardcore players, myself included).

cod has millions of people putting in more hours than that tbh. Wow probably has the highest average played time per year out of any game, but i wouldn't say mmo's are the only games that can touch it. Some shooters/rts games are right up there on the addictiveness scale :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm playing wow since alpha with no breaks,at a haphazard guess.

On avg I'd say bout 25 hours a week.

25 * 52 = 1300

I'm playing bout 8 years ( actually more but sure ****it) 1300 * 8

10400 hours played.

Nothing else comes close to it, albeit Counter Strike might be up and around 5000+ hours thinking about it.

Absolutely shocking reading those two figures, spent on games ...........

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I've played Borderlands for 6.8 hours. So there. How d'ya like dem apples?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

TheDoc wrote: »
    10400 hours played.
    Break it down some more. That's 433 days, or 1 year and 2 months out of the last 8 years :eek:

How much does WOW cost per month, $15? So, 8*12*15= $1440 = $3.33/days played = 14c/hour played.

$1440 .

While that might sound like alot, consider the fact that it's over eight years and the amount of time that has been spent on the product would mean value for money in my eyes.

A heavy smoker would spend that in two months on smokes alone. A very heavy smoker would probably spend that in six weeks. A heavy drinker (and lets be fair, thats about half the irish population) would spend that on drink and nights out after about two months assuming they went out twice a week.

Value for money is a strange thing when you think about it. I mean, we all buy great deals in the steam sales.....games for 5 quid but if we never play them, the 1440 for the 10k hours of gaming on WoW is actually better value than the 5 quid for 0 hours of neglected game :p

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm playing wow since alpha with no breaks,at a haphazard guess.

On avg I'd say bout 25 hours a week.

25 * 52 = 1300

I'm playing bout 8 years ( actually more but sure ****it) 1300 * 8

10400 hours played.

Nothing else comes close to it, albeit Counter Strike might be up and around 5000+ hours thinking about it.

Absolutely shocking reading those two figures, spent on games ...........

Crazy amount of time alright. Im probably the other way around. If only id spent that time on something productive !!!!

If only id spent that time on something productive !!!!

Than you would lament the fact that you never set aside some time for fun.

Workaholics look back on life and say they regret not taking time out to do "nothing" and enjoy themselves. And then the people who spend their time on pointless hobbies lament the fact that they never applied themselves and achieved something.

We always devalue what we have and want what other people have. The grass is always greener. Celebrate your time wasted on pointless crap! :p

If only id spent that time on something productive !!!!

Than you would lament the fact that you never set aside some time for fun.

Workaholics look back on life and say they regret not taking time out to do "nothing" and enjoy themselves. And then the people who spend their time on pointless hobbies lament the fact that they never applied themselves and achieved something.

We always devalue what we have and want what other people have. The grass is always greener. Celebrate your time wasted on pointless crap! :p

Ha, well... I wish i spent at least half that time on something else :).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

They say if you put in 10,000 hours practice you can become an expert at anything. I always figured it was guitar or painting or tightrope walking or something :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

All the games I've played total up to a silly amount...

I would never call myself a chopper whore....but I had 350 hours alone "In a chopper" in BF2

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Going over 100 /played days on WoW is what made me give up on that game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Going over 100 /played days on WoW is what made me give up on that game.
    Not sure what I had in WoW but I know when I quit EQ I had over 400 days /played on my main alone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I probably have 5000hrs+ logged on CS:S but it was pretty much all pre steam time logs, so I've no way to know :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Quick Question. Remember the Steam Vouchers that were supposed to be coming i?

DId that ever happen? And if so where stocks them?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Korvanica wrote: »
    Quick Question. Remember the Steam Vouchers that were supposed to be coming i?

DId that ever happen? And if so where stocks them?

You can get them in GameStop in the US iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

I have to reiterate what people have said about dedicated servers. I spent a lot of time playing CS. I settled on a particular server simply because the environment on it was first class, everyone was friendly and mods and admins were there regularly and I really felt part of the community.

I really hope that dedicated servers stay around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Was hoping to get the Batman games and Fallout 3 + New Vegas but missed out. Hopefully they do a good deal on them in the christmas sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Was hoping to get the Batman games and Fallout 3 + New Vegas but missed out. Hopefully they do a good deal on them in the christmas sale.
    Can almost gaurantee you they'll all have good discounts over Christmas!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ape X wrote: »
    Can almost gaurantee you they'll all have good discounts over Christmas!
    I know but still, I hate waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

If you really want a game, say New Vegas, is it really worth waiting 5 months or whatever to save maybe €15?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

danthefan wrote: »
    If you really want a game, say New Vegas, is it really worth waiting 5 months or whatever to save maybe €15?

New Vegas is well worth 20 euro. In fact most games on steam are already reasonably priced or even cheap in relation to what your getting.

That's why everyone freaks out when there's a sale, because the cheap and reasonably priced games sell for way way below what they ought to.

Advertisement